What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > scotland - second sight /s

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 10 comments I read this in high school so first publication would be prior to 1978.

It may have been in the Bonnie Prince Charlie era. Definitely 1600-1800 time frame. It involved a girl with second sight and I think she had no family. Boys/ young men figured into it but I don't remember it was necessarily romantic.

message 2: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments Not sure, but could it be Fiona by Catherine Gaskin?

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 10 comments Nope, not the one - although I have read Fiona a few times and like it. Thanks for trying!

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Could it be Witch of the Glens by Sally Watson?

message 5: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 73 comments I was also going to suggest Witch of the Glens, one of my favorite books.

message 6: by CLM (new)

CLM | 303 comments Or possibly a book by Mollie Hunter?

message 7: by Fullfaun (last edited Nov 27, 2010 01:37PM) (new)

Fullfaun Faun What about Celtic Bride by Margo Maguire by Margo Maguire?

Even though she is an Irish Princess, she is hiding out in... England. Dang it, I just reread the story and I thougth for certain she was hiding in Scotland.

Sorry.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 10 comments I have a feeling it is Witch of the Glens....Powells.com has a copy for $125, nothing on Ebay, and nothing in my library system....dang. So close and yet so far! I'll look into the ILL, maybe someone somewhere has a copy. (InterLibraryLoan)

I'll let you know if I have any luck, thanks for the help!

Dawn

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Thanks, Dawn! We appreciate you letting us know, and crossing fingers for you that it's the book and that you can find a copy.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 10 comments I was able to find copies in some public libraries - County of Los Angeles being one of them.

However, more exciting - Barnes and Noble had them listed online. On a whim, I googled Image Cascade (who rerinted these a few years ago) and low and behold, you can get the complete set of 7 Sally Watson books for just under $80! (not including s&h)

They had several other authors too - apparently they specialize in reprints of the 1930s to 1960s.

Now to save my pennies! WooHoo!

Dawn

message 11: by Fullfaun (new)

Fullfaun Faun Did you try HALF.com yet? Ebay had the book I wanted for $40+ USD, I went to HALF.com & found it for $15+.

Just a suggestion.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40254 comments Mod
Dawn, was that your book?

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Dawn hasn't been active in GR in over a year. I'm thinking that this can go down into Abandoned. The next mod to read this should move it, I guess.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 10 comments I am so sorry, everyone, I knew I had let Goodreads postings slide but didn't realize it had been that long.

Yes, it was Sally Watson's Witch of the Glens so that can go into the solved folder.

No, I haven't looked at half.com but I will, thanks for the suggestion!

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Dawn, I think this is available as an ebook from Amazon now. I just purchased it.

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 10 comments Good to know, thanks!