Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > YAs about real kids, not fantasy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (bjlee) | 10 comments I'm looking for books about real kids. I dislike the fantasy genre of YA. Can be humorous, serious, quirky, biography, but real stories about real kids, prefereably older YA. thank you.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (marcher08) I can't help with your search but I would like to join it. My nearly 12 yr son has to do a series of book reports for school on a nonfiction book. We have had a difficult time. My first thought was a biography but he doesn't want to read about "some old historical person". We also found several popular books re-written for the young reader. (Marley and Three Cups Of Tea : Young Reader's Edition) He wasn't thrilled about that either. To give him credit, I think he is a little more sophisticated reader than that. The books have to be over 100 pages, nonfiction, and PG in content and language. Any suggestions would be welcome!!!! I didn't think to ask here before.

message 3: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Well, just to be clear, are you looking for stories about 'human' kids, meaning nothing supernatural?

Or are you looking for true stories about children who really lived?

message 4: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (bjlee) | 10 comments Michelle wrote: "I can't help with your search but I would like to join it. My nearly 12 yr son has to do a series of book reports for school on a nonfiction book. We have had a difficult time. My first thought ..."

Michele - I'm not specifically looking for nonfiction although I wouldn't mind reading some YA memoir or biography. Maybe ask your son if there is someone he admires (not an old, historical person) but someone current. For example, I reently read a bio of Shawn White which was very interesting.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (marcher08) Good idea! We will explore that. I didn't really mean to hijack your thread. If you are looking for fiction but not fantasy, I would recommend Last Days of Summer (very good, unique writing style, not a baseball book) and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (rough language but a story well worth reading).

message 6: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I always recommend Where the Red Fern Grows. It is my most favorite YA book ever. It's one of those that I read as a child and loved, and when I read it again as an adult I loved it just as much. Beautiful writing and an amazing heartwarming story.

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

message 7: by Heidi (new)

message 8: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (bjlee) | 10 comments thanks Michele, Wendy, Carmel and Heidi. I'll check em out. Keep the suggestions coming!

message 9: by Heidi (last edited Nov 16, 2010 04:44PM) (new)

Heidi Except for the magic pants part, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a wonderful series with real girls. I also liked The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler .

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Nov 16, 2010 04:55PM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Willow by Julia Hoban , North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley , On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta , If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman , Girl, Stolen by April Henry . My favorite book I read recently that wasn't paranormal is Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson . Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler was really good too.

message 11: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen I like this book! the author has a couple others what you might be looking for.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Stefano (CandyPanda) | 17 comments Twenty-SomewhereI'll submit a friend's book for the older YA search. I think it fits the bill but can't comment on the quality.

For the non-fiction: The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century. This is definitely geared to adults, but I bet there are plenty of pieces your son could use for his reports. The writing isn't that complicated, and honestly I would love to read a 12 year old's ideas about what is going on with the world he'll inherit.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 36 comments Empress of the World has no fantasy content whatsoever. It does have non-explicit lesbian romance, though.

message 14: by Jenny (last edited Nov 17, 2010 11:25AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) Are you only wanting realistic contemporary, or historical is okay too?

contemporary:
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler Looking for Alaska by John Green An Abundance of Katherines by John Green Paper Towns by John Green Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1) by Daisy Whitney Freefall by Mindi Scott Losing Faith by Denise Jaden Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson Hold Still by Nina LaCour Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab Just Listen by Sarah Dessen Forever... by Judy Blume The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford

historical:
Bloody Jack (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1) by Anna Godbersen The Twin's Daughter by Lauren Baratz-Logsted Cate of the Lost Colony by Lisa M. Klein Vixen (Flappers, #1) by Jillian Larkin A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson Chains (Seeds of America, #1) by Laurie Halse Anderson Annexed by Sharon Dogar

message 15: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments oh! Bleed by Laurie Faria Stolarz Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz

message 16: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments One of my favourite YA books is The Only Alien on the Planet, there's also I Capture the Castleif you don't mind something older, and actually, there's a new series (well, two books so far) written by an Australian author that's a bit similar to that, A Brief History of Montmaray and The Fitzosbornes in Exile.
Sarah Dessen is a great 'real' YA writer...

message 17: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (bjlee) | 10 comments thank you Bluemoon, Heidi, Amanda, Ottilie, Rachel, Nikki,Jennie and Josie. I certainly will check out all these books!

Jenny - my only dislike is fantasy and sci-fi to a lesser degree. Historical, humorous, memoir, all ok!

Thanks again, all of you and keep em coming if you like!

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi B.J. I am not into a lot of paranormal books like Mortal Instruments and such, so I get where you are coming from :)

message 19: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments Carmel, yes indeed she is!
B.J., I've since thought of some more: Feeling Sorry for Celia, and if you like historical, I recommend Mara, Daughter of the Nile.

message 20: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (bjlee) | 10 comments Thanks guys.
Carmel - yes, I love Historical. I'll check out Mara.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I just finished Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin . Pretty decent YA book.

message 22: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Amanda wrote: "I just finished Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin. Pretty decent YA book."

I liked that one too Amanda. I think it's been made into a Korean movie.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Roshini, you would be correct. Here's the link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1330229/
It would be interesting to see.

message 24: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Amanda wrote: "Roshini, you would be correct. Here's the link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1330229/
It would be interesting to see."

I want to watch it, but have no idea where to get it.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Roshini, It's on my netflix list, but they don't have it available yet. I assuming since it's on their website it will eventually be available.

message 26: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (bjlee) | 10 comments Heidi I - yeah paranormal doesn't do it for me.
Bluemoon - thanks for the additional suggestions. I tried to read The Book Thief twice but I find it too depressing.
Thank you all. this is a great discussion.
Please contiue if you like

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 14 comments Here's a couple of cute easy reads:
Passport to Romance by Betty Cavanna (older book; 50's?; about a girl going off to boarding school; sweet story)

Girlfriend Material by Melissa Kantor (young lady has a daddy's girl life that's turned upside down and inside out when she's coerced to go across country with her mom)

message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Heidi I wrote: "I loved North of Beautiful."

I second that!!

message 29: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Lee (bjlee) | 10 comments I'll check it out Heidi. thanks

message 30: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Kelley | 12 comments I am actually glad to see this thread. When my book published, my editor strongly (and rightly) suggested that we classify it as young adult, but I had never thought of it that way because I was used to "young adult" meaning either fantasy, "I'm in Love with a Vampire," or Sweet Valley High (which I read when I was younger). However, I have fallen in love with this genre.

Though she does sometimes border on fantasy, Libba Bray is excellent, but I think the strongest young adult author I have read period is Sherman Alexie. Flight and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian are both astoundingly good, and appeal to both boys and girls.

message 31: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Libba Bray is amazing! Although I would say she's a fantasy author.

message 32: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Kelley | 12 comments A great and terrible beauty is definitely fantasy, but Going Bovine (which is a good read, though a disappointing end) has elements of fantasy but is something more.

Going Bovine was the first young adult fiction I bought when I realized that this was to be the genre for my book Max and Menna, and it welcomed me well to this area!

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I just finished Crazy Peep recommended it and I think it is a great book about a real kid going through a very hard time.

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Shauna wrote: "A great and terrible beauty is definitely fantasy, but Going Bovine (which is a good read, though a disappointing end) has elements of fantasy but is something more.

Going Bovine was the first ..."

Going Bovine … I'm not sure how to classify it. I think it's fantasy, although it's questionable whether it's all "real" or not. I really liked the ending, actually. At first I was annoyed, but after I absorbed it for a while I decided I liked it. :]

message 35: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi I wrote: "I just finished Crazy Peep recommended it and I think it is a great book about a real kid going through a very hard time."

I'm glad you liked it!

message 36: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Willow by Julia Hoban is a good choice.

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Roshini wrote: "Willow by Julia Hoban is a good choice."

I almost bought Willow this weekend. It was good!

message 38: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Love it! Reading it for the second time this year says a lot. Any others similar to these that you could recommend?

message 39: by Amanda (last edited Nov 21, 2010 09:48PM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I read it twice this year too! I read it earlier and it came up in a conversation so I had to get it again ; )
Here's a few to start:
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, Chasing Brooklyn, If I Stay, Twenty Boy Summer, Jerk, California, By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead, The Sky Always Hears Me: And the Hills Don't Mind, Two-Way Street.

message 40: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Man I really, really want to read Amy&Roger and Two-Way Street. Don't think they're available here yet; if they are, I haven't found them.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Amy & Roger just came out in the US, I was lucky to get a copy from the library right away. It was one of the better books I've read lately. Bruiser by Neal Shusterman was great too.

message 42: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Ah Neal Shusterman. I am in awe of his talent. Another must-read book for me.

message 43: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments NEAL SHUSTERMANNN!! <3

message 44: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Kelley | 12 comments For you YA fans, what would you say you look for in YA about real kids? Someone posted in my author Q&A that she felt writers didn't address enough "real life" issues in YA, so I am wondering what those issues are.

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Shauna Crazy by Han Nolan is a great example of real life issues.

message 46: by Kristen (last edited Nov 28, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) I really enjoyed these:
Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah
Mindblind by Jennifer Roy The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie Jane by April Lindner Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas I Am the Messenger  by Markus Zusak I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President by Josh Lieb

message 47: by Emmy (new)

Emmy The Boys Next Dooris a fun quick read :)

message 48: by Emmy (new)

Emmy also Thirteen Reasons Why. I have heard really good things about Beastlyi know it has some fantasy references, it is a modern day beauty and the beast. There is a movie coming out soon about it :)

message 49: by Heidi (last edited Dec 02, 2010 01:47PM) (new)

Heidi Hey did you know there is a poll for this very topic here on GR? I just found it and voted for a few books.

Anyone read The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin ? I saw it at the library and it looked good.

message 50: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Amanda wrote: "Amy & Roger just came out in the US, I was lucky to get a copy from the library right away. It was one of the better books I've read lately. Bruiser by Neal Shusterman was great too."

AMAZING AMAZING BOOK. I read the whole thing today. :)
It's not exactly realistic fiction though. Like, it felt realistic but it had a very surreal element to it. Anyway. SO GOOD. <3

« previous 1