NaNoWriMo 2012 discussion

NaNoWriMo Archive > YA NaNos, Contest for your NaNo

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karly (new)

Karly Kirkpatrick | 6 comments I'm running a contest on my blog, YA Flash Death Match (http://yaflashdeathmatch.blogspot.com) where you can post the first 1K of your raw, unedited YA NaNo and win fun prizes! Deadline is tomorrow, check out the details on the blog! I'd love to see some healthy competition.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This might seem like a silly question, but is it 1000 words exactly, or is there some leeway? The 1000 word mark ends in the middle of a sentence in my draft.

message 3: by Karly (new)

Karly Kirkpatrick | 6 comments Hey Candace, I decided in order to do this contest, people would need to round up or down. So finish a sentence, finish a paragraph, wherever you'd like to leave off.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. My prologue is approximately 1079. Would that be okay? :)

message 5: by Karly (new)

Karly Kirkpatrick | 6 comments sounds good to me! Be sure to check the site for the details as well. I'm excited to read it!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (penumbria) | 9 comments How do you define "a true YA piece"?

My novel features a protagonist who is 10 through 13 during the novel but I am not trying to write in a teen's voice or using a teen's vocabulary for the 3rd person narration. So, would this qualify? Also, it is a fantasy genre novel, a totally created world.

message 8: by Karly (new)

Karly Kirkpatrick | 6 comments I guess "true YA" would be how you plan to define it. When your novel is done, do you see it on the YA/Teen shelves at the store, or in the (adult) fiction section. I'll trust you to pick your audience. :D

message 9: by Karly (new)

Karly Kirkpatrick | 6 comments Have you read The Hunger Games? Your description kind of reminds me of that. The author writes in 1st person, but the girl doesn't really 'talk' like a teen, but that's due to the setting.

message 10: by Elaine (last edited Nov 16, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

Elaine (penumbria) | 9 comments Alright, I e-mailed you my section. It was more like 1300 words to finish the paragraph but there you go.

If you don't feel that it is YA, let me know. I am not a good judge. A lot of the fantasy I read is shelved in the YA fantasy section but doesn't seem particularly YA other than having a young protagonist so I decided to try.

It's the one that starts out:

“There comes a point in everyone's life where they come to a crossroads, where the decision they make will take their life in one direction or another. Sometimes the direction you choose is to shorten your life by using evil ways.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Karly. I emailed my submission to you.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Elaine: I read your submission and commented. It was really good. Is this the story you were outlining in "On Fiction Writing"? :)

message 13: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (penumbria) | 9 comments Yes it is the one I outlined in On Fiction Writing. That outline actually now appears like it will cover two books, not one, based on how this is going.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have not written anything in years and I just felt called to start writing again and this is where I started.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, so far I like it :). I'm interested to see what happens next, even though I've read the outline :).

message 15: by Karly (new)

Karly Kirkpatrick | 6 comments Thanks for participating! It's great to get your work out there!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a really good idea, Karly. :)