Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > December book ideas (December 2010 "Book(s) of the Month)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments Let's post some suggestions for december. We can either read 2 small ones or 1 big one. Post your suggestions and then we will take a vote! I will suggest "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Stranger in a Strange Land"

message 2: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments Hmmmm....no other suggestions for December?

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (The Litertarian) (emmaleighbug) Moby Dick, I just bought it and need to read it probably before the end of the year, because in another group I'm in, they have next year pretty much mapped out for big reads (War and Peace, Les Miserable, The Count of Monte Cristo, and one undecided). If anyone else is up for it.

Or I've been wanting to read something by Charles Dickens, because, and this is a little embarrassing, I've never read anything of his. I am most interested in The Pickwick Papers, but I'll read anything :-)

message 4: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments Oooh, I have not read "Moby Dick" yet, anyone else interested? That will be a big one to tackle.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (The Litertarian) (emmaleighbug) I have walden on my to read list too :-)

message 6: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments I am thinking of breaking down Moby Dick into a couple of chapters each week (maybe 40-50 pages) and putting separate discussions for each wek, that way people can post about what is happening in the story without worrying about giving anything away. What do you guys think? I will take a look at how the chapters are set up and create a tentative reading schedule.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (The Litertarian) (emmaleighbug) That sounds good to me :-) open discussion is better than censored discussion. That way even if you are behind you can still be active in discussion!

message 8: by Madge (new)

Madge (madge_the_bibliomaniac) | 12 comments I've been meaning to read Moby-Dick or, The Whale for a long time now, so I'm definitely up for that. I really need to read Dracula and Frankenstein and about 200 others, also lol. I'm up for just about anything.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex | 118 comments I like that method, Trisha.

And I'm on the same page as you, Madison; I'll read any classic I haven't read yet (or haven't read in more than a decade), and that list turns out to be embarrassingly long.

message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments Great! I will try to have a schedule put together within the next day or so and we can hop right in with the december book!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.