Runs with scissors discussion

Book Group Reading > Farenhiet 451

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments I will start this off by saying that I rented the movie based on this book. I found the movie intriguing and decided to read the book. I won't be able to read the book until after the semester is out in December but consider the topic open for discussion.

message 2: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments Put in my request for this book as my local library, naturally, does not have it.

message 3: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments Tonight the library called...my book is here! Gonna pick it up after work. Yay!

message 4: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments Pretty much read this book in one day...I found this story to be thought provoking and a little bit scary, as I am sure we are all aware of the decline in reading skills in the general public and the acceptance of television as our source of "knowledge". People just don't think for themselves anymore. They are happy to watch the box and go on their merry way, never rocking the boat.

message 5: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
That is why, ironically, this book is frequently banned.

message 6: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments I loved the line where it is stated...it is not against the law to OWN books...just to READ them.

An interesting side note, it was mentioned in the afterward by Ray Bradbury, that the character of Montag was named after a paper manufacturer and the character of Faber was named after a manufacturer of pencils,,the interesting part is that Bradbury didn't realize it until well after the story was written. It would seem that his subconscious mind is a powerful thing

message 7: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
That it is. Some authors do it on purpose others not. Makes you think though.