Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Do you ever go to premieres?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm a sucker for them. I love movie-as-event.
I like midnight premieres of geeky movies best, where everyone around me is excited (and possibly dressed up).
I've done it for Star Wars movies, Lord of the Rings, all of the Harry Potter movies, even though I don't think they are particularly wonderful movies. They're much better if I see them with a room full of people dressed as wizards. I'm really good at winning tickets for advance screenings too.
The first one I remember going to was Return of the Jedi, and it was VERY exciting. I was six.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't like crowded theaters, so not only do I not go to premieres, I hardly ever go opening weekend or even Friday and Saturday nights. A lot of my students are going to the midnight Harry Potter, though...i think it's a school-sponsored event, even. Are people quiet during the movie, Pi, even if they're excited?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Are people quiet during the movie, Pi, even if they're excited? "
They're mostly respectful - they talk and telephone less than most audiences. They cheer a lot more than regular audiences. Exciting moments get bigger responses than they would at any other showing. If somebody gets in a good zinger, people probably clap.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my sons do. this thursday midnight imax showing of something. they go to all the spidey-batty-harry ones

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments No, there are too many people for me. I can wait.

message 6: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Something bothers me about clapping in a movie theater. The actors can't hear you....so why are you clapping?

Usually, even during opening weekend of the movies I watch, no one is in the theater, so that works out for me.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Previews are fun too.

Britt, re clapping: I think that's where the communal experience comes in. You're clapping approval for the action, and other people do the same.

I also cheer on my rugby team VERY loudly through the TV. I'm fairly sure it helps. See?

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sarah Pi, do you have plans for TRON?

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Nov 15, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't. You wanna go?

For some reason, the original Tron is linked forever in my head with Gulliver's pizza in Chicago. RA or Lobstergirl, is Gulliver's still there? Did they show movies in a back room, or did I make that up?

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments My son-in-law is going to the first local showing as a b-day gift from my daughter. I can ask her for extra tix if you'd like. :)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Phil wrote: "My son-in-law is going to the first local showing as a b-day gift from my daughter. I can ask her for extra tix if you'd like. :)"

Free tickets are free tickets, right? Never mind the cost of the airline ticket to Utah.

message 12: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments My friend's dad won tickets for the premier of Fame last year and she and I went. They were free, what can I say? But it was being sponsored by the local top 40 station so it was mostly teenager and they were quite annoying before the movie started.

My hub and I went to the midnight showing of Star Wars episode 3. And I went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter #6. I will be going to the midnight showing of this new HP movie and the last one.

I normally hate crowded theaters too but as Sarah said, it's different. It's the diehard fans at the midnight showings so they are a lot more respectful. The communal cheers and the like are really fun.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I didn't go to the premiere of the latest Twilight movie, but I went to a showing on the first weekend, and it WAS fun with everyone really enjoying the movie. There was more crowd interaction, in a good way, more laughing and cheering and oohing at shirtless Jacob, that kind of thing.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I don't. You wanna go?

For some reason, the original Tron is linked forever in my head with Gulliver's pizza in Chicago. RA or Lobstergirl, is Gulliver's still there? Did they show movies in a bac..."

I swear I have no idea what you're talking about.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I used to work at a tv station and we'd get free premiere passes all the time. I love going to premieres and special screenings - the air of excitement adds a whole other dimension to the movie experience.

The last one I had a pass to see was Julie & Julia.

Other movies that I remember seeing at special screenings - The Ring, The Devil Wears Prada, and I forget the others off the top of my head...

message 16: by ms.petra (last edited Nov 16, 2010 06:09AM) (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) My daughter and I went to the midnight premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean 3. It was a hoot! People were all dressed up as pirates and wenches, even the British officer guy (I don't remember his name).
The new TRON looks amazing!

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Only once,by accident many,many yrs ago: I was 17 &had gone to Cape Cod for the day w/boyfriend. on the way home,he asked if I wanted to see a movie. I said yes, I wanted to see Dr.Zhivago. He took me to see it opening night at a fancy theater in Boston. Everyone else is in evening gowns,tuxes..I'm in damp, sandy,stained jeans & a sweatshirt. we got the last 2 seats in the balcony.

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I had a pass to see "Maxie." I noted that the stars were Glenn Close and Mandy Patinkin. Not recognizing either name (hey, it was 1985), I figured that Glenn was the guy and Mandy was the girl. Oops.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
Sarah Pi wrote: "I don't. You wanna go?

For some reason, the original Tron is linked forever in my head with Gulliver's pizza in Chicago. RA or Lobstergirl, is Gulliver's still there? Did they show movies in a bac..."

I'm not familiar with Gulliver's.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hmm...
http://www.gulliverspizza.com/

I remember it VERY fondly, but keep in mind that I have not been since 1982.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments The last premiere I recall attending was for "Independence Day" a long,long time ago. It was a hot day, about 95 degrees, very unusual for San Francisco since THE FOG descends at the beginning of June and stays until September. Anyway, the line went on forever. It was my son's idea to go opening day. It was July 4th and he was right, I never forgot that day. We had a lot of fun.

message 22: by Annette (new)

Annette Hart | 171 comments I have never been to one but my teenage daughter has been twice now. Surely this is against the rules and just not fair!

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I never lived too close to any of those. Chicago is one of those towns where, at least as far as I was concerned, people took pizza seriously and tended to stick with their favorites.

message 24: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments The midnight showing last night was ok. There wasn't the camaraderie there usually is. Oh well. The movie was great and I was with one of my best friends and her sister.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.