Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Club Organization

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Nov 15, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) So there's just the two sections of the club... the general area and then the club area. There are 559 members in this group, but we don't see that many people posting very often. I think part of that is because the club is seriously lacking in organization. I think with a few folders and little rearranging the place would be able to do much better.

Is there a way we could get a few new folders or a way I could work on it for a day or so? I made another club so I'm familiar with the background stuff, I could help out and then relinquish mod duties or just give suggestions for folder structure.

Does anyone else feel the same way about the organization of the club?

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Bitere (ireaduread) I dont know about anyone else, but i hardly check my clubs out. I just want to be apart of a club and have it posted on my wall, but i really dont visit it much often.

message 3: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Huh. That's interesting.

Why do you want a club listed if you don't really use them?

message 4: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) JK, part of the problem is I think the members designated as Moderators have not been active lately. The most recent post from either is from March. You could email one or both of them and ask them to make you a moderator here, then you could make the changes to the folders. Sounds good to me.

message 5: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Ah, wow, that's a long time. I sent them each a message asking about it. Hopefully I'll get a response. Thanks for the suggestion. =]

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Bitere (ireaduread) I mean, i check in from time to time, but i mostly just add clubs to describe what type of reading categories im into.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) Maybe make a section where we can list the books that we have to lend? I try to stay as active as I can in all my groups.

message 8: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Nov 15, 2010 05:32PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) This is kind of what I had in mind so far, with the folder and the marks below it what would kind of be in the folder.

General
-give explanation of group revamping
-thread for group suggestions
-member introductions
-general get to know one another

Book Chat
-what are you reading
-latest purchases
-etc

Book of the Month
-nominations
-voting
-threads for book discussions

Sales and Promotions
-ebook sales
-free books
-coupons on nook
-free fridays

Nook - Your Personal eReader
-chat about the device
-screensavers
-accessories
-nook color
-ereader comparisons

Nook - The Technical Side
-FAQ
-Problems
-general help with the device

We could throw book lending lists in there either with Your Personal eReader or we could make a new folder for it. I'd be up to suggestions.

The list up there would probably be tweaked a bit and moved around before it was actually implemented.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 14 comments Looks good to me. The Nook is the next best thing that has happened to my reading the last few months; having a group with all of the above to follow other Nook people and what's happening on the B&N scene would make the group more interesting and lively for sure. Would really appreciate Nook FAQs and am interested in finally making use of the Lending capability. As well JK, it looks as though you have already spent a considerable amount of time in forming the list of suggestions, hopefully your request to be added as a mod will be accepted.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) totally agree with Donna

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) Looks great!! I do have one suggestion. I would love to see a few categories for a book of the month. For instance: Romance, Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Paranormal, Crime/Mystery, Thriller/Suspense, etc. That way we could participate in something we're interested in. Or we could even participate in more than one category each month.

message 12: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Thanks guys! =]

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking a little work needs done.

As for the categories for the Book of the Month - that would be doable. I haven't participated in other BotM discussions here, mostly because I'm fickle about what I read and when I do, so I'm not sure about the level of activity. If it wouldn't hinder the activity I think having multiple levels would work well. Actually it would probably draw a bit more people in.

message 13: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 80 comments All the ideas sound great. I can't wait see you how it all ends up.

message 14: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 34 comments Good ideas!

message 15: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 18 comments While I support an organization of the group however you want, I hope you do not restrict membership to only those who participate. I joined mainly to have a resource for question about my Nook. I have found useful information on here, but didn't have anything to value to add.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) JK wrote: "This is kind of what I had in mind so far, with the folder and the marks below it what would kind of be in the folder.

General
-..."

I like this list and the sub-folders. VERY Organized and make total sense.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Suzy wrote: "Looks great!! I do have one suggestion. I would love to see a few categories for a book of the month. For instance: Romance, Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Paranormal, Crime/Mystery, Thriller/Suspense, etc. Tha..."

I like this idea too.

message 18: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Christine US wrote: "While I support an organization of the group however you want, I hope you do not restrict membership to only those who participate. I joined mainly to have a resource for question about my Nook. ..."

Participation is never a requirement. I don't want to change the rules or who can participate in the group - I just want to make it a little more organized to promote more activity.

message 19: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Bitere (ireaduread) Thats sort of how i feel christine, i just couldnt get my words out right.
-Christine US wrote: "While I support an organization of the group however you want, I hope you do not restrict membership to only those who participate. I joined mainly to have a resource for question about my Nook. ..."

message 20: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Again, who can post isn't changing. I wouldn't dream of restricting who could post in the group.

All I'm proposing is a little organization so that things are easier to find and work better for discussions.

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (theresa999999) | 10 comments JK wrote: "This is kind of what I had in mind so far, with the folder and the marks below it what would kind of be in the folder.

This set up looks great!

message 22: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments JK wrote: "This is kind of what I had in mind so far, with the folder and the marks below it what would kind of be in the folder.

General
-..."

I love it...I don't know how the Book of the Month part would work since we usually just read the top book voted for as a Group Read. But maybe separate categories under Book Chat so people can chat about their books all they want.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) JK,
Organizing the group sounds like a good idea. I do know that you usually need to be a moderator to add folders so you might want to request to be one for the group. I tried creating a folder and couldn't..just FYI. :)

message 24: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments JK, if the moderators don't get back to you about becoming a moderator. You may want to send a message to the GR staff because sometimes they can add you as a moderator or someone else that is very active as a moderator for the group.

message 25: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Oh yeah, I've messaged both of the moderators for the group and am just waiting to hear back. It might be a while before I do hear from them though because they haven't really been on the site in a while. So, if nothing happens for a while, it's not that I've lost interest in doing this - it's just that I'm at a standstill.

Meghan ~ I'm thinking about the book of the month thing. If there's a lot of interest I think multiple threads for the book of the month could happen. It could be in the folder with something like this:

Fantasy BoTM [December 2010] - Elantris
ScFi BotM [Dec, Spoiler Free] - Ender's Game
Dystopian BotM Discussion - Battle Royale

Something like that - the format of the thread could be changed around. If there's simply no interest for it though, the way it's being done now is fine.

Now that I think about it, I'd probably add an Archives folder as well. Someplace to move old book of the month discussions that are no longer being used. Or other old topics that are no longer relevant. They'd be accessible, but not in the way of other discussions.

message 26: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Phillips WOW! So that's why this group seems so willy nilly so to speak. I kept wondering why the September read is still listed even though other reads are being nominated. There are no moderators around to change it.

Also I am not sure how many others would be interested in this but I would really like to be involved with a a group read that has a leader and/ or a schedule. Does anyone else have an interest in that type of format?

message 27: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 18, 2010 02:07PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Hi Tracy! I think what you are looking for is something like Buddy Reads...these are for the people who like to read books as a group together. So read the same amount in the the same amount of time. For instance, you would read a couple of chapters from the book every day or two. Then people will discuss those chapters together. Like post questions on what people think and everybody give a response. There could be like 2 a month one starting on the 1st and one starting on the 15th. And if people like it move it up to about 4 a month.

I would be more than willing to lead these and set up leaders and schedules if there was a folder set up for them.

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Phillips Yes, Meghan :o) That is what I am looking for. I am just about to do my first buddy read with a book starting December 1st in another group.

I would LOVE to do that same kinda thing here to! Thanks so much for offering to set things up and lead some groups. Also nice to meet you :o) Great to know you have an interest also.

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna | 14 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Hi Tracy! I think what you are looking for is something like Buddy Reads...these are for the people who like to read books as a group together. So read the same amount in the the same amount of t..."

I would be interested in a Buddy read also!

message 30: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) A Buddy Reads folder would be pretty awesome.

message 31: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) JK wrote: "I'm thinking about the book of the month thing. If there's a lot of interest I think multiple threads for the book of the month could happen. It could be in the folder with something like this..."

A few of the other groups I'm a member of vote on a book of the month, we could do something similar instead of having 10 different subfolders for each topic. I think it will become too time consuming for the moderator if you have to pick a book for each topic every month. I wouldn't mind if the topics are condensed into a few broad themes. We might even get a little more variety and I don't know about the rest of the group, but I love stumbling upon books that I wouldn't have normally picked up, but ended up really enjoying.

The great thing about multiple topic folders is if a book is nominated that I've already read I can simply chose a different topic for that month. I also really like the idea of a group read! This is a new concept for me, but I think it would be great to discuss as we read. Personally I wouldn't include larger books, at least not at first. It would give the moderator time to decide about how many chapters are reasonable within a given time. The only thing I could find potentially frustrating about this is if the pace is either too fast or too slow. I don't want to drag a book out twice as long as normal, or feel like I'm in school and HAVE to read many more pages than I would naturally a night (every few nights and it wouldn't be an issue).

Tracy: what is the current pace of the read-a-longs you participated in? Is there a particular type of book more often picked?

I think it's impossible to please everyone, but think these are suggestions headed in the right direction!

message 32: by Tracy (last edited Nov 19, 2010 10:21AM) (new)

Tracy Phillips Here is the tentative schedule that's been posted in a buddy read I am planning on participating in:

Dec 1 start! Read to Part 3

Dec 8 Read from Part 3 to page 202. The next chapter starts with a NYT article entitled "Rivera Still Admires Trotsky; Regrets Their Views Clashed."

Dec 15 Read from 202 to page 303. The next chapter starts with several small articles, the first from the Kingsport News January 12, 1946 entitled "Book Review."

Dec 22 Read from 303 to Part 5

Dec 29 Read part 5 to the end of the book by January 2

message 33: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Amanda:

A lot of different categories would be pretty time consuming - and would require a lot. There's the nominations, voting, reading, etc. Two to three to start with for broad themes would be a good place. It's not a lot of work, but allows users to pick and choose what fits for them. Starting small and working up to what's appropriate for the level of activity in the group is the best route.

message 34: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) JK wrote: "Amanda:

A lot of different categories would be pretty time consuming - and would require a lot. There's the nominations, voting, reading, etc. Two to three to start with for broad themes would be ..."

... I agreed

message 35: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Oh yeah, I was just kinda reaffirming that... so that it didn't seem like your post was ignored. I hate making threads and then not addressing people in them. >.<

message 36: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) So I sent in a request to get information on this or help with the matter. Hopefully I'll hear back from Goodreads staff in a couple days.

message 37: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 12 comments Appreciate your work, JK. Thanks!

message 38: by Suze (new)

Suze (suzed) | 13 comments I visit this group daily, though I don't post since I normally find what I'm looking for (nook info, etc) without having to do so.

I think it's great that you're willing to put the work into this, JK! Kudos to you!

message 39: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) | 27 comments How about an author thread? Where we can post our books, and people can look through them?

message 40: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Nov 22, 2010 10:36AM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Will do! That's an excellent idea.

And a big thank you goes out to everyone for their support on this.

message 41: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Nov 22, 2010 12:06PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) So, most of everything has been moved!

I added eBook Lending and Archives. The Archives will help keep clutter down and make it easier to find relevant topics. eBook Lending should help get that off the ground.

I was considering making a B&N thread for news from them and just general talk about B&N... what do you all think? I'm still working on some of the threads in the General folder - I'll wait until I hear about the B&N folder.

If there's anything in the Archives you want moved to a folder just let me know, I'll move it back. I pretty much left everything open, but time sensitive threads - like nominations and sales.

If there are any suggestions, feel free to share.

message 42: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Wow, lots of work JK. Thanks! It's all very organized now. I think a B&N thread would be great for software updates (one is coming up), the new features, new products like the Nookcolor, in-store deals, etc.

message 43: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) That's what I was thinking it'd be good for. News and press releases. Talk about the stores and all. I'm just a little doubtful about how much use it would be. We can try it out for a while and see. If it doesn't get too much activity the threads could just be moved to other folders really.

message 44: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) That's what I was thinking it'd be good for. News and press releases. Talk about the stores and all. I'm just a little doubtful about how much use it would be. We can try it out for a while and see. If it doesn't get too much activity the threads could just be moved to other folders really.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer JK - the new organization looks fantastic! This makes the group so much easier to navigate through. Thanks for all your hard work!

message 46: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (tweezle) Thanks for everything you are doing, JK. I was so excited to see this group was going to be active!!

message 47: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) You guys are most welcome, I was happy to do this.

message 48: by Cobbie (new)

Cobbie (cobbieg) wow it looks great - thank you ;)

message 49: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) JK wrote: "Oh yeah, I was just kinda reaffirming that... so that it didn't seem like your post was ignored. I hate making threads and then not addressing people in them. >.<"

hehe, got it! Can't wait to see more!

message 50: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments You have done a fantastic job JK! Let me know if you may need any help sometimes.

« previous 1