[asmb] Book Club discussion

Book Chat - General > Black Friday - Nook only $99

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
So, if you've been wanting to try out an eReader now would be a good time. The deal is at Best Buy and it's for the WiFi only version of the Nook. It's orginally $150, so you're saving quite a bit. It's an excellent device too, so it's a good time to get it! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about switching over to eBooks.

You could play with it at Best Buy or Barnes and Noble to see what you think of it or you could just try it for a couple weeks and if you don't find yourself enjoying it, just return it.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I would love to get this. One of my problems though is there are no B&N stores within a 100 mile radius. How important is it to have access to a store?

And do I need to have wi fi at home? I don't use it here. I see there's a usb hookup on the nook but is it practical to use?

Another problem is the usual, money, but it is almost christmas so I might get around that.

I also have to check with my library and see what they have available for epub lending.

message 3: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

You don't really need the store at all. You can buy eBooks from any site online and then just hook your Nook up to the computer to transfer them onto the device. Or if you buy directly from B&N, you can do that on the nook and it'll download straight to that.

The USB is good for transferring stuff to your Nook, if you want to add books, music, wallpapers or screensavers to it. The WiFi isn't super important, I don't find myself really using it that much. I get my books while I'm on the computer and just transfer them over. The nice thing for WiFi is looking through the special offers on the nook - sometimes they'll have little coupons or deals where you can get free stuff if you take your Nook to B&N. Like right now I could go to the Starbucks in B&N and get a free smoothie. A few months back there was a thing for free Godiva chocolate. (they're trying to make readers fat!)

I'd recommend looking around various online stores at eBook prices too. That was something I didn't really look into first and a lot of places sell them at the same price as the paperback. Though deals do pop up quite often and there's just about a gazillion free books available. B&N even has Free Fridays where they give a free book out every single Friday.

Sadly my library doesn't have an eBook selection as well. =\ You can check... Overdrive though for your library. It's an online database of all the libraries in the country with eBook selections.

I'd definitely try checking out the Nook if you can before buying. Though there's always returning if you decide you don't like it - but it'd be better to decide that before braving the Black Friday crowds. :D

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments Thanks for the answers.
I've found out my local library doesn't lend ebooks. So the tip about Ovedrive is helpful, thanks for that too. There might be somewhere is the area that does lend or I might be able to get the librarians to help me do some kind of inter-library loan for ebooks if such a thing exists.
The librarians are very helpful. They're nice to start with plus my sister worked there every summer while she was in high school so they know me. I benefit from her being a good past employee.

I do wish I had a B&N so I could benefit from the in store troubleshooting help if nothing else. Oh well, I'm not sure about getting one yet. There are a couple factors. I read reviews but advice from someone you can ask questions is so much better. I appreciate it.

message 5: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Nov 19, 2010 10:36PM) (new)

Ah,you're plagued with a small library as well - or at least a library that's not with the times. No eBook library bites.

Online or over the phone troubleshooting isn't so bad with Barnes and Noble. Best Buy and Borders sell it too so those are other options for tech help. That, and well, there aren't many issues with the Nook - it's a really solid device. What's nice too is that B&N prefers to do software updates to the Nook rather than releasing a new device often.

It's my pleasure to answer questions about it or help with it. I really enjoy talking about the Nook. =]

message 6: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I saw that deal but they only had 5 per store that was discounted. But Im glad I didn't get it my mom got me a kindle for Christmas and u loooooooove it! It actually looks like ink on a page instead if a digital writing. Plus with it hooked into my amazon account that I already had its perfect for me.

message 7: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Dec 22, 2010 09:24AM) (new)

There were a couple things I disliked about the Kindle, but that's awesome it's working out for you.

Don't know what kind of Freebies Amazon offers, but you can find a lot of free stuff (legally) here:

http://www.inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/?s...

It's mostly classics and whatnot, but other stuff does pop up in there. =]

Oh and the e-ink screens are amazing. I absolutely love reading with them.

message 8: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Amazon has a ton of free books. But thanks for the link will def check it out. They only thing I dislike is the internet on it, web sites don't come thru well with the ink format they have. But since I have a smart phone I really don't need it for that. Id rather have the nice ink pages than electronic pages so it all works out

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments Do any of you download the free ebooks here?

I'm still waffling about the nook. I'm kinda waiting to see if there are after Christmas sales now. Even though Best Buy is offing the wi fi only Nook package for $189 now. I might still buy that, I have a few more days. Trouble is I spent my money on practical things and other people's presents. How foolish of me.

message 10: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Are you asking if I download books from here or just in general? I mainly download free books from amazon, haven't really tried other sites.

And in sure if you wait you can get a book cheap after Christmas, there are always good sales then. And are you waffleing on the book just cause you don't know which would be better or because of the money? If you are just wanting an e-reader there are cheaper brands out there other than kindle and nook. Those are just the nicest. I've played with a book at Barnes and Noble, its basically a large smart phone without the phone part. It's made through the Android market of electronics. So they make web surfing and pages easier to read and use. But if you just want a hood ereader I'd go with the kindle. It has the feel of a real book and real pages,, plus you have access to all of amazon and a lot of their ebooks are cheaper. I've found a few for just 2-3 dollars. I personallly love my kindle but it doesn't have great internet, even with the WiFi. The websites look different and its difficult to navigate the sites cause its not touch screen while the book is. So you end up tabing over to try to access stuff which is annoying for me since I have a touch screen phone.

Really it boils down to what you are lookin for in your ereader. I suggest going to a local Best Buy or Circuit City, most lrg electronics stores have both and you can compare each and see which one fits you and your wallet the best

message 11: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
*edit: stupid autocorect changed nook to book throughout that whole post. So just read book as nook cause I'm too lazy to edit that whole thing. Sorry for any confusion

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I meant here. They have a ebook section under find books with quite a few free ones (over 12 pages)and then some for sale.

It's mostly money but I also need to decide what I want. Two of my sisters are Kindle fans but my other one swears by her Nook. I don't know. It may boil down to if I have the money and what I can get the best price on.

I really do want a reader though, I'm still having some trouble with my eyes and the adjustable font looks real attractive right now. But I have so many paper books. *shrug* We'll see.

message 13: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

You could always find illegal downloads of the books you already own in paperback... it's not so bad since you've already bought one copy of the book.

I'd agree with Dian about which to go with - go to a store and try both out. (i'm cheering for the Nook though - there are a great many advantages to it)

I haven't downloaded eBooks from this site. I mostly get them elsewhere - the ones that are free here are free a lot of other places as well. If I come across something nifty I'll get it here though.