The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GETTING TO KNOW YOU > Book Suggestion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Hope this topic is in the right place...

I need recommendations for either a good classic book of short stories *OR* a good short play. This is for my book club. Our challenge this DEC is to read one or the other and present a discussion on the book/play.

Any recommendations?

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra I'd highly recommend the play, The Crucible. It's about the Salem witch hunt times and it gives a lot of ideas to discuss.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 102 comments I second the crucible! So good and very accurate.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10593 comments Mod
I agree with Petra and Jennifer. You can't go wrong with The Crucible.

But, you might also want to consider The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I read it for The Play Must Go On task and it was hysterical! It was also free (through Project Gutenberg) if you're into ebooks.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7391 comments You could also take a look at the 5.2 help thread and get some ideas of what others read...maybe present your book club with a list and they could pick and discuss different themes that occurred

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I've read the Crucible already. But the Importance of Being Earnest. Hmm.

Thanks Dee! I'll look at 5.2!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 143 comments My favorite play to read is Inherit the Wind, a fictionalized account of the Scopes Monkey Trial.

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Thanks Nancy! That one or Earnest looks really good!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 187 comments The Garden Party and Other Stories, by Katherine Mansfield is a wonderful, thought-provoking book of short stories. I really enjoyed her writing and wish she had written more than she did. It is also a very manageable size. :)

For plays, I'd recommend The Lady from the Sea, by Henrik Ibsen for some interesting discussions on the importance of true, independent choice and marriage.

Another play I've always loved, based on two incidental characters in Hamlet, is thoughtful and very funny--Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, by Tom Stoppard.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Rachel wrote: "The Garden Party and Other Stories, by Katherine Mansfield is a wonderful, thought-provoking book of short stories. I really enjoyed her writing and wish she had writte..."

I second Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. I just read it for the Recommended Books task, and it was hilarious.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7391 comments you could also go with Pygmalion and compare it to the movie version of My Fair Lady which is based off it...if you are interested in doing something like that

message 12: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I've read Pygmalion and most Shakespearean plays. Hee. Most on the best plays ever, I've read (and sometimes forget to mark that I have.)

Gonna put the three - Earnest, Scopes and Rosen into a hat and read whatever is pulled. WOOT!

Thank you all!!