Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > I need your suggestions

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Donna | 5 comments Does anyone have a suggestion for a novel for my high school juniors and seniors? They are average to above average readers. The book needs to be very contemporary, yet it must be classroom appropriate (no explicit sex or violence.) We study Sherlock, Ms. Marple, Poirot and Nero Wolfe, so I want some current fiction to round out the class. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Donna

message 2: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Ellis | 3 comments The tough part is avoiding sex and violence, isn't it? The Maisie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear are very well written and very "clean". The second in the series, Birds of a Feather, is particularly good because it deals with how the choices we make, no matter how insignificant they seem at the time, can haunt us--and others. And I don't feel like you have to read the first book, Maisie Dobbs, in order to read the second.

I'd also recommend Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. Well done interwoven stories that again deal with moral issues and questions of choice.

The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson, may not be considered a mystery per se but it is suspenseful and an unforgetable short story.

I would also recommend Cormac McCarthy's book "The Road". Again, it may not be shelved in the mystery section, but there is an air of suspense and wonder about it. It would create a wonderful launch for discussion, to be sure!

You'd have to double check Sara Paretsky's book "Blacklist" to be sure about language, etc. but that is an excellent mystery with very poignant social issues.

If you want to venture outside of mystery, I'd suggest "The Life of Pi" or "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell. "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult would also be incredibly relevant and would generate great discussion for high schoolers.

Good luck!!