Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Ouch! Check Out the Reviews For This Book!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Nov 14, 2010 06:45PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi All,

I was cruising IR books on Amazon and came across this book. I've never heard of it and was shocked to see that Harlequin Superromance had a black woman and white man book! Maybe they have before but I've never known them to have one. I'd never heard of this book or author.

Anyway, this book was published in 2005 and I was reading the reviews. Ouch! Looks like this is the type of book where you are deceived from the cover. The reviews explain how the IR couple seem to be just more of a gimmick but the white couple is the one that has the better romance and most of the scenes.

My guess is that this was used as a gimmick. I haven't read it but I think seeing how this was published by Har alone would have told me not to expect a true IR romance.

I think I'll skip this one. Anyone here heard of this book or has read it? If so I'd love to hear your thoughts. I don't usually go by reviews alone but when I see such poor reviews for one book, yeah it gets me thinking the book is really as bad as folks say. It might not be a bad book but the way it's executed as an IR romance is what seems to be the biggest disappointment.

Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Soul-Harl...

Best Wishes!

message 2: by Trenice (new)

Trenice I've never heard of author or title either. You're right. That review had to be painful for the author to read.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments I have this book. Yes, I was decieved in thinking that the couple on the front would be the bigger story. I remember that they seemed secondary and just touched on. I also remember saying to myself that the couple on the cover seemed shallow while the secondary characters (that seemed to be the main focus) were more in depth.

Yeah, they tried the old bait and switch on this one. I think this was the beginings of them trying out IR romances, I think they're better now.

message 4: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Thanks, Stef!

Man that sucks though when IR is just used as a ploy to get people to read something. I would've been very upset to read that book then. I have read books that teased and made you think it's an IR book and the people on the cover aren't even together romantically! If folks aren't comfortable with writing IR and if the pub doesn't wanna focus on it then don't publish the book. It's cheating true IR fans and I see now why it got all those stars. I knew those were true IR readers because of what they said. IR readers want true IR and not to be cheated. LOL!

I'll skip this one. Probably can't find it anyway. I feel sorry for the author on the reviews though. She probably let Har dictate how to write the book and this is the result she got. You gotta be true to yourself.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 5: by Shiree (new)

Shiree McCarver | 305 comments I read it and the author didn't capture me enough with the story to care what happened to the characters. I can't even remember if I finished it or not to be honest.

Ree
www.shireemccarver.com
I Dare You to Read Outside the Box.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments Hey, i read this book. I only remember because of the cover. I recall absolutely nothing about it. When I read the reviews I was surprised there was another couple. Could've been. I honestly don't recall a single detail. What I do vaguely remember, though, is the story was really not exciting and the heroine was so innocent she bordered on childish.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments I was one of the reviewers, and I gave it 3 stars because I like Eva Rutland as an author, and having read her previously she's very talented. Unfortunately this book doesn't do her talent justice. I still have it on my shelf though.

message 8: by Shiree (new)

Shiree McCarver | 305 comments Well I know from my own experiences as a writer all your books can't be the best book, just the best you could do at that time. You have to forgive yourself and move on to the next project. She probably was following Har Har's guidelines and anything she may have tried to get away with an editor was there to catch it. It is what it is an I personally would never base an author's career as a writer on one story.
Ree
www.shireemccarver.com
I Dare You to Read Outside the Box

message 9: by Charisma (new)

Charisma Knight | 12 comments I've never heard of Eva Rutland, either. I wonder why the cover of the interracial couple was made when they weren't the focus?

Shiree, perhaps you're write about Harlequin's guidelines. Sometimes publishers want you to follow their guidelines to a perfect "t." I also agree that one should not base an author's career as a writer on just one story. Sometimes our muses takes us different places, but then the publisher may step in a say, naw, this won't work, I think you should do this, reword this, blah, blah, blah.

Thankfully, I've had some say in my stories, but with one particular publisher, I had to make some changes. Needless to say, the book I did that with is a very short read, and some have said they feel like something is missing.

ck

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments My (still very vague) recollection of the book wasn't that it was horrible. In fact I think it was very on par with much of what Harlequin puts out, which most of isn't to my taste any more. I think it was just unremarkable. I don't think the book deserved so many one stars. I think it is one of those things where the angrier readers seem to be more upset by the short shrift of the IR story than the story itself.

message 11: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Every story that a writer write will not bring a smile to a reader's face, but it doesn't mean it's the end of the writer's career.

Just as every song can't be a hit, the same goes with every story.

I never read the book in question. In my Harlequin's reading experience. It's not the first book that have had a misleading cover.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I take Amazon reviews with a serious grain of salt. To be honest, I've bought IR books off Amazon based on good reviews, and I felt like I was cheated because I didn't feel the book was good at all. It's very subjective. I think a well-written review explains why a book was good or not good. I give more credence to those. One thing I would say is, if you don't like Harlequins, don't read them. They are written for people who enjoy those kinds of stories. I don't think it's fair that people who don't like Harlequins read them and make fun of them or rate them poorly. I don't like erotica, so I don't read it, otherwise, I'd end up writing bad reviews for most of what I read. It's only fair to the writer, and future readers.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

I agree with you Danielle. If a person doesn't like reading Harlequin books, they shouldn't read them and then complain about them.

It's a known fact that the Harlequin line follow a certain writing style theme.

I read Harlequin books. A lot of them are quite good and in my opinion better than some non Harlequin books.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments On the whole I don't read Harlequins anymore. As I mentioned above, they are not to my taste. I'll pick up one, usually a superromance if it is getting good word of mouth from readers whose tastes are like mine.

I think I only picked this one up because of the IR plot. If people don't buy IR romances from a powerhouse publisher like Harlequin then there is a real danger they will no longer publish them for lack of market. So that was enough to make me buy the book even though on the whole I don't like harlequins. But once I bought it and read it any criticism of it, even as it pertains to the line it is published by is, imo, a valid one.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Tina, You have the right to your opinion, and I am not necessarily directing my comments to you; but what is the point in reading a book just to complain that this kind of book is silly and making fun of it? If you really hated Harlequins, you wouldn't buy them at all, no? I know that there are certain IRs I won't buy even if they are interracials. I think we have the right to support the kind of books we like through our pockets.

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

I love a good bw/wm interracial story, but it has to fall in the genre or line that I read, in order for me to buy it or read it.

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments Speaking for myself, I don't pick up a book with the sole purpose of knowing I am going to hate it or make fun of it regardless of what it is. If I am actually taking the time to read or buy a book it is with the real expectation that I am going to enjoy it.

As I mentioned before, on the whole, I do not tend to go for Harlequins (for the record, I have never said I hated them), but that is a relatively recent thing. I've been reading romance novels for 33 years and the first 15 or so of those years I read and enjoyed Harlequins. But I enjoyed them less and less over time until finally I stopped reading them.

But I am a voracious reader and I know from much experience that a good author can transcend the genre/line they are writing in. I just finished two of Sarah Mayberry's books written for the Superromance line because they had gotten such great write ups by other readers whose reviews I've enjoyed. And the two books were superb.

You can be indifferent to or dislike something on the whole while still being able to appreciate a part of it. There was the real possibility that this book would have been one that I could enjoy, in spite of it being published in a format that I prefer not to read.

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

Maybe the book wasn't intended to be a full interracial book. Maybe the interracial storyline was suppose be the secondary story.

I could be wrong, but I am sure if the author was contacted, she would say that the cover was a mistake.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I completely respect where you are coming from Tina. My comment was not directed towards you as a reader. I have to agree that I will sometimes enjoy books in genres I don't go for based on the writer and the story they told. But, there are readers who will read books they know they won't like and then write negative, critical reviews. I disagree with that.

message 20: by Arch , Mod (new)

If a reader reads a book they know they won't like and then turn around and write a negative/critical review, they are being selfish and childish.

Some readers can be ugly.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

It is pretty childish. I think that people who read reviews have to be very careful not to take what a reader says and run with it. At the end of the day, we all have our own opinions of things.

message 22: by Shiree (new)

Shiree McCarver | 305 comments I don't know how this turned but I beleive the subject was the cover being misleading and come on unless it's deliberate do anyone put the secondary characters on the cover of a book? Their ploy worked. I hadn't bought a Harlequin in years but I bought that one because of the cover. I think those like me are just trying to say the same thing in general the cover sold the book and the book fell short of the cover. Period.

message 23: by Arch , Mod (new)

Shiree in 2001, I brought a Harlequin book that had a white man and what appear to be a blasian woman on the cover. I bought the book, because I thought it was an interracial book. But, when I have started reading it, I've found out that the heroine was white. So, I have emailed the author and inquire about the heroine on the cover and in the book. She told me that the cover was wrong and that her heroine was indeed a white woman.

message 24: by Shiree (new)

Shiree McCarver | 305 comments See, that's what I'm saying Arch and it's not the first time they've done it. But they've also had dark hair leading men on the cover and you read it to find out the lead is dirty blond. Now when I do find a Harlequin that catch my attention I open it and skim the pages for descriptions. I don't like books that don't give you descriptions of the characters either. It makes the character too generic for me. They just keep repeating eye color and peck size, penis size, saying muscular without details of how muscular, like curvy women without saying how curvy. A he can pick her up curvy or a he takes her hand and walks with her to the bed curvy...lol

message 25: by Arch , Mod (new)

Shiree,

I like to have a description of the characters as well. I don't like reading a book, where you are reading about the hero or heroine and you now on page 10 and you don't even know how that person looks.

I like to skim books too to find the hero and heroine's descriptions.

I don't really care for books where the hero and heroine are on the cover of the book. I like to imagine how the characters will look to me. My version of the character.

I was watching TV Sunday night and seen Sam Elliott. The first thing that came to my mind was the woman on Suzanne Brockmann's board in 2008 saying that the Young Sam Elliott was her version of Sam Starrett. Of course, I have strongly disagree with her, but I haven't told her that. That's her version of Sam Starrett.

So many women can like the same hero and see him as different people.

Now as for the book at hand. I don't think it's the writers fault that her book was market as an interracial story. Some authors can't help what is put on their book cover.

Another thing. I have read non Harlequin books, where the outside characters didn't match the inside characters.

message 26: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I wanna speak on what Arch and Danielle mentioned about folks reviewing books they know they won't like. I agree big time on this! I've had people who read my books knowing what they were and then didn't like it because it wasn't the genre they read. Like one woman said she didn't care for "Melody" too much. That's fine. But then I find out she loves street novels. That's all she reads! Well if she likes street novels and loves to read them, then why did she pick up a crime novel, mystery and IR novel in the first place? I mean obviously these genres aren't what she seems to care for so why would she pick up the book in the first place if she loves street?

So I know for a fact as an author that some readers do pick up books that they know they don't usually read. It's fine to look outside your genre but it's not fair to be prejudiced because of the subject matter or genre if you decided to pick it up.

For instance I HATE anything with vampires and I don't like Sci-Fi and stuff like that. I'm not gonna go buy someone's vampire novel and trash it, knowing I don't like those types of books.

That is ignorance. I don't know if that's what happened with the book I started this post about though. Not sure. I believe a lot of IR readers were more upset that it wasn't what they thought it would be. But I definitely think it's wrong to buy a type of book you know you don't like and then trash it in a review, knowing you don't like those kinds of books to begin with.

Best Wishes!

message 27: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Nov 17, 2010 02:14PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) And for Harlequin, I don't read their contemporary lines. I'll only read them if they give free copies away. I don't like those types of Har books so I don't buy them. But I love their Historicals as everyone knows. LOL! This ties into something else Danielle says. I agree with her. I know some folks who hate Harlequin books yet buy them (why I don't know) just to make fun of them and trash them. Don't get that. There are some folks that do do these types of things.

message 28: by Trenice (new)

Trenice What does "Har books" mean?

message 29: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Harlequin

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Nov 18, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

SD, I only buy the Harlequins I like: Harlequin Historical, Harlequin Presents, Harlequin Desire, and Harlequin Nocturne, and Harlequin Romance. I also get the Harlequin Love Inspired Historical books. I will occasionally buy some books that have stories that appeal out of the other lines (such as Silhouette Romantic Suspense and Harlequin Intrigue). I don't like the Harlequin Blazes much. I read a few and they are not for me, so I avoid those.

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Oh, and I am sorry if I hijacked the thread. I was just making a point that you should take reviews with a grain of salt because the reviewers don't always have the best motives. Sorry about that!

message 32: by Arch , Mod (new)

I don't read Harlequin Blaze.

message 33: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Me neither, Arch. They're rather dry for me. I love reading Nocturnes, Intrigue and Silhouette Romantic Suspense. Can't wait to check out the Love Inspired Suspenses on my shelf.

OOps yeah, as to the topic (lol) I remember cruising by this book sometime ago and being turned off/mad from what the reviews said. Thankfully I ended up saving money. I hate when the cover misdirects the readers. A shame too because I wouldn't mind reading about the couple on the cover. >:-(

message 34: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) LOL, Danielle you didn't hijack anything! I love it when you chime in. I've never read a Blaze book. I tried to read some Silhouettes though but they aren't my favorite. I can't stand the Presents Line. Too darn corny. I can't get past the titles, LOL!

Best Wishes!

message 35: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Nov 28, 2010 12:44AM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Did any of you read any of the NASCAR series Har did? I read one and was surprised that I liked it. I forgot the name of it though. I lost it because my hard drive went kaput and I lost the ebooks I had on my computer. Oh well. Can't even remember the author but I can get it again. The book was a part of the freebies Har was giving out last year.

message 36: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I read one. Overheated I think it was? I grabbed it because it was a May/December theme with an older, geeky hero. It wasn't half bad. :-)

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Nov 28, 2010 09:43AM) (new)

I hate to sound snobby, but I'm not into NASCAR, so I haven't had a big urge to read those Harleys. I know the Presents don't work for a lot of readers. I am a stone cold addict though. I love the drama and larger than life feel to them. I ignore the titles.

message 38: by Bekah, Mod (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 113 comments Mod
I have a hard time taking Har books seriously. I guess thats my snobbiness coming out. I just haven't had good luck, and usually I feel like they are ludicrous. However, I'm going to be giving them another chance next month. I have been sorta lucky recently..They weren't complete duds.

We'll see

message 39: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) I'm an HP junkie. I also like the Silhouette Desire line, which I hear is being renamed to Harlequin Desire, by the way. Like Danielle, I enjoy the emotional drama in them, but they do get bashed quite a bit by other romance readers. LOL.

Bekah, they sometimes have free ones on the site you can download, so you can test them out that way. If you're interested, some of the authors I like to read are Carole Mortimer, Penny Jordan, Abby Green, Sarah Morgan, Sandra Marton, Trish Morey, and Lucy Monroe.

message 40: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Generally, I like HP books, in particular the Silhouette Desire line (I much prefer this name to Harlequin Desire). If you find the right authors, they can be quite enjoyable especially when you're looking for a quick read. However, their more traditionally themed lines (HP America(?), HP Presents etc) are not to my tastes at all. Like others have said there's a good dramatic element to these books, but sometimes the heroines are complete doormats. They tend to get on my nerves.

message 41: by Violette (new)

Violette Dubrinsky | 32 comments Misrepresentation. That's horrible.

message 42: by Nichelle (new)

Nichelle (ebondreamz) That is horrible. I grew up reading Harlequins, Mills and Boon (started the line in UK), Silhouette Desires etc..it saddens me that they would do that. I loved those books...

With the right authors..right representation...those books rocked...and still do.

I am with you Delaney...a junkie for HP...just like with everything else, there is some good in a bit of everything, you just have to be willing to search for it.

message 43: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Ebony, I purposely wrote The Arrangement with an HP vibe. Except my heroine's black and she lives in the U.S. instead of Australia or England.

I wrote another book called The Prince of Marunda that may never see the light of day. It's the only full-length novel that I've written, and it also has an HP vibe. It's got several HP themes: secret baby plot, revenge, a prince (African prince from a made up country), a forced marriage. LOL.

Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to self-publish it or put it on my website as a free read. LOL.

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I love HP books. I am excited to read yours, Delaney.

message 45: by Nichelle (new)

Nichelle (ebondreamz) Ohh Delaney...that sounds great!! Girl get the courage...there are those of us who would want to read that Prince story! (Disney princess kinda thing going..well except the baby thing. LOL)

message 46: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Thanks, Danielle. Hope you like it.

Thanks, Ebony. You and Danielle may be the only two people. LOL. I'll have to think long and hard about it. It's supposed to be part of a series, with an interracial romance for the second book. The hero in the second book is a North African of Arab descent. Nothing written on that one yet, just notes for ideas.

I have so many other ideas, though. You ladies are writers, too, so you understood how many stories can sprout from the seed of one idea.

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I know what you mean, Delaney. I have many stories that have elements that I love about HPs involved. My first story I wrote for this group for the royal challenge is my sort of Harlequin Presents attempt. I like the passion, the intensity, and the larger than life feel of that line, and I have that in my stories as much as I can. My other muse is Anne Stuart, so there are shades of her in my stories as well.

message 48: by Nichelle (new)

Nichelle (ebondreamz) Yeah, it can get kind of crazy with all the ideas. I am hoping though that I am finally making headway to make the dream of being a writer come true. Been wanting to do this for so long...lol Harlequin Presents and Silhouette Desires were my inspiration back then and now...amongst other types.

message 49: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) On a whim I picked up my first Anne Stuart book the other day: Tangled Lies. I've heard her work described as "dark," so I've been hesitant to try her, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

The problem is, after I bought it, I read a review that said the heroine was attracted to the hero even though she thought he was her brother, and that kinda creeped me out, so I'm not in a rush to read it. I'll get around to it at some point.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That's probably not a good place to start with her, to be honest. It's actually one of her edgier HQN books.

« previous 1