College Students! discussion

Life (Non-college/book talk) > What does everyone do for a living?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nawar (new)

Nawar (nawaralq) | 53 comments Hewwo peeps.
I'm a working woman so it's probably why I'm not on Goodreads or this group as much,
and I don't read as much either
*cries*

anyway, where does everyone work/what do you do?

:)
genuinely curious.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I have the most reader-friendly job ever.

I sit in a little shack / trailer all by myself for 12 hours at a time, I answer the phone and update drivers, and I keep track of trailers coming in and out of the parking lot that I'm in. On a weekday I get MAYBE 70 calls for a whole shift (which is not a lot), and on weekends, I get maybe 20 calls the WHOLE DAY. Anytime other than calls or trailers coming in or out is down time, so I get a ton of reading done, plus can watch DVD's, go online, play my PSP... etc.

It rocks.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Sarah-- I need a job like that!

Right now I'm underemployed. lol. I'm working very PT at a magazine..wish it could be FT!

message 4: by Minnie (new)

Minnie Nielsen (agentcookie) I'm a full-time student and I work part-time for parking services at the College. I miss my desk attendant job. A job where I have time to read and do homework!

Ralph Gallagher | 40 comments I work as an editor for a couple publishing houses. I'm also a full time student. =)

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hedgehoggal) I work part-time in my college's registrar's office which is waaay convenient, thank goodness. I do editing work and help out with graduation. Not the most exciting job, but definitely great for my schedule.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I work 2 hours a day at a food cart. Doesn't pay much but it works great for my schedule and it's really fun.

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I work full time as a marketing assistant in a company that creates software to help people find jobs.

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Marketing assistants unite! :)

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewburgess) I'm a full time student and a software developer. I had an internship with a company about two years ago, and they liked me so much, they've kept me on while I finish up school

message 11: by Nawar (new)

Nawar (nawaralq) | 53 comments Sarah's job sounds like the most fun haha!

I work in marketing and communications at an art foundation, it's super fun. Work with artists and stuff like that.

message 12: by Sarah (last edited Nov 16, 2010 06:23AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Yea but everyone's jobs seem so much more exciting! It sounds like to much to work in with publishers, and artsy people, and magazines, etc!

I'm surprised at the lack of retail jobs! Before this job, that was ALL I had, lol. I did get to work at a bookstore and that was the best job ever, but it closed :o(

message 13: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Most of you know, but I will post anyways. I work at an accounting firm. I need to finish my Masters to get my CPA. I love it here, and they are the reason I went back to school to finish my degrees. Working full time and school full time, especially during tax season, isn't the most fun though.

message 14: by Kelly A. (last edited Nov 16, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments I'm jobless by choice at the moment, but the last job I had was over a year ago in my hometown. I worked for the Health Department and all the old ladies I worked with had no idea how to use computers, so I made up all the spreadsheets and fliers and sent emails, etc. Very mundane, but I made 50 bucks a day, so not bad overall.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) I'm still a full time student, but I'm graduating in December. I've had an internship with Rayovac/Remington (you know, Batteries and Razors? Ha!) since last November. The world headquarters is in Madison, WI, where I go to school, and I work in human resources. I've just accepted a full time position with them as a Human Resource Coordinator - pretty exciting stuff! :-)

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I'm a full time student and I work full time as an intern for the Air Force. Mostly business admin type stuff. After I graduate they'll hire me on as a permanent employee.

message 17: by Adam (new)

Adam | 83 comments I'm still a full time student right now, but I work part time doing theoretical physics for a lab, where I build mathematical models for Quantum Cascade Lasers. I just got the job, so that's what I WILL be doing after I finish learning how to program in LabView, which I'm almost done.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Adam wrote: "I'm still a full time student right now, but I work part time doing theoretical physics for a lab, where I build mathematical models for Quantum Cascade Lasers. I just got the job, so that's what ..."

Woo-hoo! Congrats!

message 19: by Adam (new)

Adam | 83 comments Thanks Ashley : )

message 20: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I'm an RA (resident assistant) at my school. It has some definite benefits, I get a free dorm room to myself, free food and I get paid each month. However, it is way more work than I was expecting.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Jessie wrote: "I'm an RA (resident assistant) at my school. It has some definite benefits, I get a free dorm room to myself, free food and I get paid each month. However, it is way more work than I was expecting."

Really? I was thinking about being an RA - with definitely all those perks in mind. How is it more challenging that you expected?

message 22: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Tami wrote: "Most of you know, but I will post anyways. I work at an accounting firm. I need to finish my Masters to get my CPA. I love it here, and they are the reason I went back to school to finish my degree..."

Hey I'm a commerce student too. And that tax session/closing time is heavy work time and so is cool to be working in accounting firm.
Right now I'm preparing for My cat exam on 24 nov and other management entrance exams so i'm not working for now. But i used to work pare time when i was at college (Though it was for my dad's business but handling his taxes was fun )

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I've been work as a part time teller for over 2 years at PNC Bank while going to school full time. Before that I worked at Staples for 2 years doing everything. I just worked in any department they needed. I like my job now. Staples sucked. Bad. But now I'm got it pretty good. I just count money all day. I get a lot of crazy ass customers though! Just the other day I got a guy that said to me, "Looking at you is like looking at sunshine." Hahahahaha.

message 24: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments Ashley wrote: "Jessie wrote: "I'm an RA (resident assistant) at my school. It has some definite benefits, I get a free dorm room to myself, free food and I get paid each month. However, it is way more work than I..."

Ashley, there were a lot of things I knew RAs had to do like making bulletin boards and having events for residents, but I didn't know about how much paper work and busy work there was. I always feel like there is something I could be doing for this job. But from what I've heard each college does the RA thing differently, so you should still check it out at your school. And even with it being more work than I expected I'm still happy that I did it. I'm saving so much money and I made some really good friends with the other RAs.

message 25: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Being an RA also will show leadership and management type skills on a resume! :)

message 26: by Adam (new)

Adam | 83 comments Lauren wrote: "I've been work as a part time teller for over 2 years at PNC Bank while going to school full time. Before that I worked at Staples for 2 years doing everything. I just worked in any department they..."

That's funny, I used to work at Staples in High School, then I got a job as a bank teller when I was in college the first time. Then I got a real job and it was boring so now I'm back in school and have a more interesting job to do.

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm a crew member at McDonald's. Been there since August and it's my very first job. I love it. Coworkers are really cool and fun to work with it.

message 28: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) Jamie, this might be weird, but what do you actually DO? I mostly enter contacts into our system and book travel for my boss but I have no marketing background or anything.

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'm a full time student and I work full time as an intern for the Air Force. Mostly business admin type stuff. After I graduate they'll hire me on as a permanent employee."

Kimberly, what base are you at?

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samhanson) | 179 comments I'm a full time student but I have a work study if that counts. I only work 6 hours a week in the school's ceramics studio. Cleaning up, loading and unloading kilns, mixing glazes, etc. Not the most exciting job but my supervisor is a great cook and sometimes I get to try her crock-pot concoctions.

message 31: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Right now, I am a part time student. I work at the front desk for the undergraduate student government at my University. It is an interesting job, and I get to meet a lot of students, like me. Some are very nice, but I have been surprised at how rude other students (just like me) are towards me.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Melissa wrote: "....."
Kimberly, what base are you at? "

I didn't see this until just now! Sorry about that. I work at Hill Field!