The Sword and Laser discussion

Books and audio books

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hope (new)

Hope (littlehope) | 82 comments Are what you read and what you listen to (audio books wise) different?

For instance I prerfer reading sci-fi and fantasy, but like listening to books on philosophy and theology as well as classical literature. Anybody else like this?

message 2: by Todd (new)

Todd | 26 comments I tend to listen to many more non-fiction books as Audio Books. I'm currently listening to Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson. Facinating stuff amazing how some people seem to catch lightning in a bottle over and over.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1212 comments I've found that I have a lot of trouble with non-fiction in audio. I recently listened to The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements. The narrator did a fabulous job, but I found that I kept missing stuff. I've been trying to listen to Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, but I can't keep track of any of it. I think it's a good book, but it's just not working for me in audio. I've listened to a couple of other non-fiction books and have always come away thinking it would have been better to read it.

So, I stick pretty much to fiction in audio. I really like listening to fantasy in audio. It seems like that genre is especially well suited for an oral interpretation.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimboGeek) | 9 comments I find it goes both ways. Master and Commander is good example of an excellent book I thought did not work as an audio book. When the author spent time describing details on the ship I could not absorb it. I found myself constantly backing up and re-listening to parts of the book, I listened to it on a CD. I felt I would have enjoyed it much more in print. On the other hand I have never been able to read through a Robert A. Heinlein book without getting bored and quitting. I have listened to a couple of his books in audio and enjoyed them quite a it. I think it has to do with how many detais or how dense the book is.

message 5: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 156 comments Like others I find my mind sometimes wanders when I am listening to an audiobook. I'm either at the gym or on the road. There are too many distractions and not many good chances to rewind when I don't catch things. I tried listening to Gilgamesh and I thought I'd trip myself up on the treadmill. So, for the most part I choose books I have read or light fiction. Books where the prose is more simplistic rather than poetic.
However, I think a good audiobook based on a character driven novel can be an improvement over the written. I just finished The Blade Itself on audiobook. Twice I tried the paper version and twice I didn't finish. I had a hard time connecting to any of the characters. But since I got a really good deal on the audio, and after reading the recommendations of the people in this group (I'm a sucker for peer pressure) I decided to listen to it. This time I loved it and am halfway through the 2nd book in audio. The narrator does a better job at bringing out the humor in the characters than, I'm sorry to say, my mind ever did.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5068 comments I like listening to Escape Pod episodes the same way. It's easier to listen to the stories that are fun and have a concept that's easy to grasp, so you don't get lost in the middle.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (other topics)
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements (other topics)
Master and Commander (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert A. Heinlein (other topics)