Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

It's All Fun & Games > Not So Secret Santa Book Suggestion Exchange

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 02, 2010 09:48AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lauren recommends a book to Jennifer W.
Jennifer W recommends a book to Cindy AL
Cindy AL recommends a book to Shannon
Shannon recommends a book to Jane
Jane recommends a book to Lisarenee
Lisarenee recommends a book to McKris10
McKris10 recommends a book to Lacy
Lacy recommends a book to Sashana
Sashana recommends a book to Melanie
Melanie recommends a book to Gabrielle
Gabrielle recommends a book to Lauren
Lea recommends a book to Maya
Maya recommends a book to Chloe
Chloe recommends a book for Lea

We wanted to do a secret Santa book exchange this year and asked other moderators if they'd ever done one and if they'd had any trouble with books finding their recipients. The answer was yes. Also, we didn't want to neglect our overseas members. Postage to another country can sometimes be more than the book originally cost. Yikes! Then I saw the We Love Lisa Kleypas group's 'My Secret Santa Picked It For Me' and I did a head smack. In this exchange you will get to know 2 people by doing the exchange, your not so secret Santa and the person you are the not so secret Santa to. You will suggest a book to someone and someone else will suggest one to you. Oh, and if you're wondering I did get permission to use the concept. :)

How do I join?
1. Sign up by November 27th by filling out our mini questionnaire.
2. Based on results we will try to arrange people according to what they like and/or wish to read.
3. We will post names in this topic and see what everyone suggests. List your not so secret Santa suggestions here so we can see if multiple people are reading the same books. If we get enough people reading the same book (at least 2), we'll try to set up a discussion thread for the book (if participants wish to participate in a book discussion).
4. Get suggestions up by December 15th.
5. Try to read the book by January 15th.

Questionnaire:

1. What type of books do you mostly read?
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you?
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?
5. What is your age range:
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year?
7. Are you Male or Female?
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended?
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you?

Things to find out about the person you'll be recommending a book to:

1)For the type of book they're requesting is there anything thing they do not wish to read? For example, Do they not like sad endings? Do they not like the f-bomb being dropped every 2 seconds?

2)What is their reading comfort zone? How many pages would they like to stay within?

3)Find out what books they've read and make sure what you suggest is not one of them. As not all books a person has read are listed on their book list double check with them.

P.S. I should probably mention an exchange was Sashana's idea, but when the solution presented itself I whipped this puppy together and put it out.

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Nov 14, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Lauren | 931 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? Realistic Fiction & Historical Fiction
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? Historical Fiction or Romance
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? Definatly!
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Of course!
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? I haven't counted before
7. Are you Male or Female? Female
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? Both options are good with me!
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? Yes
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? Of course!

I am so excited for this to start!! :D

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? YA and Paranormal Romance
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? Paranmormal Romance,Romance, and YA
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? Yes
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Yes
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? 75-100+
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? Preferably something from the library
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? Yes

message 4: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W 1. What type of books do you mostly read? Historical and/or contemporary fiction, both adult and YA
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? I like books that have both a historical and modern day component (ex: Holes, The Gargoyle, People of the Book)
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? If they want
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Sure
B) (17 - 29)
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? Almost 100
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? Library, please

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? Paranormal & Historical Romance
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? Anything except nonfiction. Take me out of my comfort zone
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? Yes, if they'd like to
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Yes
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? around 300
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? Yes

message 6: by Lea (new)

Lea (londoninmymind) | 11 comments Questionnaire:

1. What type of books do you mostly read? fantasy/paranormal romance and classics
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? something I don't usually read, as long as it's not nonfiction
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? very much if they'd want to
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? yes, of course
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? about... 100? More before I started 'serious' school and stopped having free time
7. Are you Male or Female? female
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? I don't really like going to the library - it makes me sad that I have to return the books I like
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? absolutely
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? yes

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 215 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?mystery or suspense
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?either of the above or something that was really special to them and they highly recommend!
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you?sure
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?sure
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year?never counted but hope to do that challenge next year if ya'll do it next year :)
7. Are you Male or Female?female
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?on a budget so would love one from the library
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended?sure
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you?sure

message 8: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 223 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
I read pretty much anything, fiction/nonfiction, mystery, romance, etc.
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?
Something that they absolutely loved, a book that meant something to them.
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? Yes, if they want.
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Definitely!
C) (30+)
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? I've never really counted, but probably around 100.
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? Library or purchasing is fine with me.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 34 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? I read anything and everything but a lot of crime fiction and horror especially
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? Anyrhing they have read and loved-any genre though
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? Yes of course
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Yes sure
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29) this one
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? 200-300 I read really quickly
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? I can get most books from the library but don't mind buying something otherwise
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? Yes of course

message 10: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 186 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? Fantasy, historical fiction (not romance), non-fiction, mystery, one bodice-ripper per year
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?Something they really liked
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you?Yes but they may have to be patient, my internet access comes and goes
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?Certainly
C) (30++)
6. On average how many books do you read in a year?100
7. Are you Male or Female?Female
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?Either
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended?See #3 above
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you?See #3 above

message 11: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Weber (thenotcapable) 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
*PARANORMAL, FANTASY*

*PARANORMAL, FANTASY*

SURE I GUESS WE COULD DO THAT...

4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?
I GUESS

A) (12 - 16)

UMM... 123.. GIVE OR TAKE

FEMALE

8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?
I LIKE BUYING BOOKS SO IT DOESN'T MATTER TO ME

PROB NOT I DON'T REALLY DO THAT KIND OF THING

SAME ANSWER TO #9 MOST LIKELY NOT

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?

Paranormal romance, Historical Romance, Some Contemporary Romance, and some YA, also some some paranormal with some funny bits thrown in.

Paranormal Romance, Historical romance, I don't read a lot of Contemporary Romance so I'd Like to read more of that, I'd also like to read comedic paranormal. I'd also like to get more familiar with the Urban Fantasy Genre.

Yeah that sounds kind of interesting.

4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Yeah I think so!

B.(17-29)

It varies! It sort of depends on my mood.

Female

I'm lacking a little in funds at the moment, so readily available from the library would be best!

Most likely, I'm more comfortable doing it if it's book I'm familiar with!

I probably would, like I said I like to be familiar with the book or author first though.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 287 comments Quick question --- it's just a recommendation, right? Or do we need to send the book? Just wondering!

1. What type of books do you mostly read? Romance- PNR, HR, contemp, romantic suspense, erotica and I love fantasy as well:-)
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? A good HR or PNR series(other than Outlander please!)
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? if she (he) wants:-)
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? No problem, could be fun:-)
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? between 400 and 600
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? I love new books! Although I don't really need new ones, since I have over 1200 books in my TBR and 4000 in my ebook TBR!
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? Sure!
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? With pleasure

message 14: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Yes only recommendations this year, Melanie.

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 287 comments Groovy, thx:-)

message 16: by Sashana (new)

Sashana 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
Romance (all types) and YA
If you recommend a book to me it has to be worthy of 5 stars in your opinion; preferably a YA or Romance. Please, please avoid recommending me a classic
Sure, I love talking about books, it'll be hard to get me to shut up :)
Yup
B) (17 - 29)
To be honest, I don't know. I've never documented
female
Definitely available at my library
Yes
Yes

message 17: by Maya (new)

Maya | 1 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? Fantasy and sometimes teen romance
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? Fantasy
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? Sure
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Sure
A) (12 - 16)

6. On average how many books do you read in a year? 100 something
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? either is fine
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? Sure
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? Sure

message 18: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W So when do we get our people?

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments We are almost done finalizing the list. Debating on making one more switch. It will probably be posted later today.

message 20: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 01, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, here is the list. We based it on both age and preferences.:

Lauren recommends a book for Jennifer W.
Jennifer W recommends a book for Cindy AL
Cindy AL recommends to Shannon
Shannon recommends to Jane
Jane recommends to Lisarenee
Lisarenee recommends to McKris10
McKris10 recommends to Lacy
Lacy recommends a book for Sashana
Sashana recommends a book for Melanie
Melanie recommends to Gabrielle
Gabrielle recommends to Lauren
Lea recommends to Maya
Maya recommends for Chloe
Chloe recommends a book for Lea

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 215 comments My suggestion(s) for Jane are Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen and Live To Tell by Lisa Gardner both great mysteries!

Ice Cold (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #8) by Tess Gerritsen Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4) by Lisa Gardner

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Shannon, thanks for being the first one to recommend a book.

message 23: by Sashana (last edited Dec 06, 2010 01:01PM) (new)

Sashana To Melanie I will also recommend two books and you can select whichever interests you more.

Willow by Julia Hoban - an awesome realistic YA
All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins -one of my favorite contemporary romances this year.

I really hope you enjoy whichever book you choose, Melanie and definitely keep me updated about what you think

message 24: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 215 comments Your Welcome Sashana and I have Willow on audio just got to get through one more to listen! :)

message 25: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I think you'll like Willow, Shannon.

message 26: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W I picked The Hundred Secret Senses for Cindy AL.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments Sashana,
The books that I am recommending for you are both YA books were hard to put down and worthy of a high rating.

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

I hope you enjoy which ever one you choose and be sure to let me know what you thought of it.

message 28: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 186 comments I made a couple of suggestions to Shannon:

And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1) by Tasha Alexander And Only to Deceive and
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson were well received!

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 215 comments I got And Only to Deceive for the library so I'll start soon!! Thanks again!

message 30: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lacy ~Movements of a Demigod~ wrote: "Sashana,
The books that I am recommending for you are both YA books were hard to put down and worthy of a high rating.

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White[bookcover:Jessica's Guide to Dating on ..."

Thanks, Lacy!

message 31: by Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (last edited Dec 11, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments Hi Lauren!

Here are my suggestions for you, I liked both of them a lot and I hope you will too!

1. The Silver Kiss (this one has a little bit of history in the form of flashbacks from the hero, there is also some romance.)

2. Blood and Chocolate (I liked this one a lot there's romance in it, and there might be a small love triangle, I don't remember for sure though.)

3. Savage Persuasion or Beyond the Highland Mist (the first one is pure Historical romance with some love scenes, nothing too explicit though. The second one starts off in modern times and switches to Midevil Scotland, both of these were really good in my oppinion.)

I hope you enjoy whichever one you choose!

message 32: by Chloe (last edited Dec 11, 2010 10:57AM) (new)

Chloe Weber (thenotcapable) Hey Lea,
So after a lot of thinking I settled on three books because I really couldn't just pick one. So I picked two that are fantacy /paranormal romance, and one that is a mystery and a little paranormal.

1. Sojourner by:Maria Rachael Hooley (1 of 4 books)

2. Reincarnation by:Suzanne Weyn

3. Dark Secrets: Volume 1 by:Elizabeth Chandler (1 of 2)

I hoped you like them. let me know which one you pick to read(:

Happy December!
Chloe

message 33: by Lea (new)

Lea (londoninmymind) | 11 comments Heya Maya,
It's crazy how little time a two-week long school-assignment can leave you with. Aanyway... :)

I've thought about some books I'd like to recomend to you, and, in all honesty, it's been diificult, because I've mainly just read what's on the NYT bestseller list, and you probably have as well, but here we go :P

I chose three, so you have something to choose from (and I see that the others have done the same) :D

1. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (one of soon-to-be five books - If you haven't read it already it's definately worth it! The first one is the best, though. :P)

2. The Awakening by L.J. Smith (one of... seven books? Honestly, I've lost count xD. I know they're really old, but I just couldn't bring myself to reccomend 'The Return' to an innocent person - they take 'wierd' to a whole new level!)

3. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (one of three books. One of my favourite series and probably the least likely that you've already read. It may seem a little boring in the beginning, but it's amazing - trust me!)

I'm looking forward to hearing which one you've picked (if you haven't read them all already ;D).

Have a merry christmas,
Lea :)

message 34: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 34 comments Hi Lisarenee

As per my message, I recommended The Devil and Miss Prym to you

Jx

message 35: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks Jane. I already got it from the library.

message 36: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 13, 2010 06:26AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Mckris10,
I recommended to you one of the following three books:
The Switch by Lynsay Sands The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch Bury Your Dead (Armand Gamache, #6) by Louise Penny

All 3 books are different so hopefully one will appeal to you.

The Switch by Lynsay Sands - Very funny romance with a touch of drama that had me laughing so hard at some of the scenes.
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch - I found this book very inspirational although sad because the author was dying of cancer when he wrote it.
Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny - Very beautifully written Canadian murder/mystery. It has a little twist at the end and I really enjoyed it. Plus, as an added bonus it incorporates a touch of history about Samuel de Champlain - the founder of Quebec.

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 287 comments Hey Sashana! Thanks for the recs, I'm going to go with the CR, All I ever wanted (I'll wait till next year to read Willow, which seems more depressing..):-) I just need to order it off BD and hope it gets here before I leave for Jamaica next week!

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 287 comments Gabrielle
Sorry for cutting it close:-)

I'm going to give you three picks, which I loved reading:

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews: Since you want UF, I'd recommend trying this out: first book in a great series, and you'll melt for Curran:-)

The Mane Event by Shelley Laurenston: This is the first of a great comic PNR series, and SL writes the best shapeshifters:-)

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas: You haven't read any of Lisa Kleypas' books? I'm shocked:-) If you like HR, she's absolutely fabulous (one of my fave authors).. this is the 1st in the Wallflower Quartet..

If you can't find anything you'd like to read, let me know I'll look for something new:-) But I think that you should at least find the 1st and 3rd available at the library:-)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments Melanie, that's ok! I'm sure you had a bunch of stuff to do to get ready for the holidays, I'm just glad you got to me!

Thanks for the recs! I think I've read something by Lisa Kleypas before, but I can't remember entirely. I think I've heard of both Shelly Laurenston and Ilona Andrews and these all sound pretty intriguing, so thanks!

I'm glad you picked a HR for me, because it's been so long since I've read one. I should be able to find at least one of these in the library, I'll let you know which one I choose/find!

Thanks again!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments Melanie, I was able to find all of my suggestions at the library. Now I just have to decide which one to read which might be a little difficult considering that they've all captured my attention.

I might just end up reading them all just to satisfy my cat-like curiosity, it'll most likely be either The Mane Event or Magic Bites. Thanks again for the recs!

message 41: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 287 comments Gabrielle wrote: "Melanie, I was able to find all of my suggestions at the library. Now I just have to decide which one to read which might be a little difficult considering that they've all captured my attention.
..."

I'm so glad you could find them all:-) Let me know what you think of them (I'm off to the sun on Sunday, so my GR updates will be sporadic at best!).. If memory serves, The Mane Event is actually two books in one, btw (but the endings were both satisfying:-p)... Magic Bites is less romance, more UF:-) Enjoy, and if I can't check in on time, Happy Holidays to everyone!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments Lucky! If the Mane Event is two books in one that's even better! Have a good time! And Happy Holidays to you and everyone else!

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 287 comments Hey Sashana! Just wanted to say I got the book All I Ever Wanted yesterday, and read it last night - I loved it! And I am eagerly waiting for her other books to become available at BD!! Thanks for recommending it! Have you read her other books?

message 44: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Melanie wrote: "Hey Sashana! Just wanted to say I got the book All I Ever Wanted yesterday, and read it last night - I loved it! And I am eagerly waiting for her other books to become available at B..."

Awesome, Melanie! Thanks for giving it a try. I've read all her other books and I enjoyed them all but All I ever Wanted is my favorite by her.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments Melanie, I'm slowly working on The Mane Event. It's pretty interesting, I'm still on the first story but it's pretty intriguing.

message 46: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I need to get to my two suggestion also. I'm thinking February is a good time to start.

message 47: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W I finished my book, Sarah's Key last night. Overall I enjoyed it, though it was at times emotionally draining. Thanks Lauren for the recommendation.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments Hi Melanie, I finally finished The Mane Event. Your weren't kidding when you mentioned the funny parts, there were times when I couldn't stop laughing.

I loved the shapeshifters Ms. Laurenston did an awesome job with em I can't wait to read more by her. Thanks for the awesome rec!

message 49: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 287 comments Gabrielle wrote: "Hi Melanie, I finally finished The Mane Event. Your weren't kidding when you mentioned the funny parts, there were times when I couldn't stop laughing.

I loved the shapeshifters Ms. Laurenston ..."

Cool, I'm glad you liked it! The last book she wrote is probably one of her best, btw:-D