Women's Fiction authors discussion

Writing Tips

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith (last edited Nov 14, 2010 09:54AM) (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 33 comments Thinking back over the thirteen years and five revisions it took before HUSBANDS MAY COME AND GO BUT FRIENDS ARE FOREVER was published, I came up with a list of the top ten lessons I learned about writing good fiction. Blogger Nancy Hinchliff was kind enough to post the list here. http://businesswomensforum.blogspot.c...

I'd love to hear tips from other women's fiction authors. Let's share.

Regards,
Judith

message 2: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 1 comments Thanks Judith for the link.

As a reader perspective its all these kinds of things that make a story interesting and unforgettable.As I read I like to see characters moving as they express their thought.I like also when an author connect right away at the beginning.

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 33 comments In one of the first writing workshops I attended, the presenter suggested exactly what you suggest, Marie -- having your character "do something" while they're thinking -- wash the dishes, drive, etc. Much more interesting and realistic.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (scpennington) | 16 comments In my writing critique group we call those action beats, Judith, and you'll find they not only make the story more interesting and real, but also move it foward at a good pace.

Sharon

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenwb) | 89 comments Fantastic! I'm going to check it out. Thanks.