~Opinions~ discussion

Television Shows > Television's Effect on Us

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments What effect does TV have on us?

On another thread, John said: "The kids these days are becoming stupid by the shows that are being shown on tv, shows like Wizards of waverly place, adventure time, flapjack, chowder, ext. and they think that it is okay to act as annoying as the characters on those shows.

Beyond that, TV has become more violent and more graphic. Is that affecting us?

What about the amount of sexual content on TV?

What about shows like Family Guy that make fun of things like domestic violence, date rape, and mental disability? My brother gets his humour from this show, and he has come to act like these sorts of things are funny.

What does everyone else here think?

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) To be honest I don't watch TV ever unless its football, one of my fav comedians and movies. But I do see were your going with this because I tell my son all the time that he's killing brain cells from watching some of these stupid shows. Fortunately he is also an avid reader like me so I think he's doing ok and I have never told him he couldn't watch any of these shows on TV.

message 3: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Well I definitely love to read more than watch TV but sometimes I like some TV. I think it just depends. But my family depends on TV too much for my liking, like watching it all the time, so we are getting rid of cable. Instead we are getting Netflix to order movies which I think is a better choice.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) I agree

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments Personally, I prefer books. once upon a time conversation was an art because no one had radio or tv and entertained each other.

message 6: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Yeah, I love TV. And movies and all that junk.

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I think books are better since you can create whatever you want.. no limits

message 8: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Well, yeah. I love books more than TV. But I think its still nice to sit in front of the Tv, and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I like that I have a TV. I like to watch it once in a while, especially in December.

Which reminds me: MERRY DECEMBER! YAY!

But I prefer books by far!

message 10: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Do watch 25 days of Christmas on ABC family? I love some of the movies.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Ehm. I live in Denmark so... No. But we have something every year that's called "christmas calendar". It's on TV every afternoon. I think we have, like, four or five different ones this year. They're all about christmas. It's like a christmas TV series that only goes on for those 24 days. When I was a kid there were 2. One for kids, one for adults. Now there're 2 for adults, 1 for young people, 1 for kids and 1 for kids and young people. Course they're all very christmasy and family-cozy.

message 12: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Oh, I was just thinking you might have some similar channels, in France we had lots of the same types of things.:)

And that sounds really nice.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Rowan wrote: "Well I definitely love to read more than watch TV but sometimes I like some TV. I think it just depends. But my family depends on TV too much for my liking, like watching it all the time, so we are..."

Netflix, absolutely wonderful! I am finally able to watch so many wonderful series because of Netflix! Seriously, it's awesome.

I love both TV and books. They are both very different, and though I will admit that I prefer books, there are some advantages that TV has over books.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments I remember when my family didn't have a tv. my dad read fairy tales to me and my sister, we played parchesi and chinese checkers, go fish. then we got the tv...my dad got it so he could watch football on saturday and sunday. since my bedtime was 7:30 until I was 9 (it went up to 8) still not much tv for me.

message 15: by Nate (last edited Dec 11, 2010 10:01PM) (new)

Nate My name is Nate and ...I AM A TV JUNKIE.lol However, I also like to read, (the book is always better then the script) and I really like to write.

But I can't live without TV, or my IPod.

As for it's influance on me, for the most part TV is not reality (even thos reality shows are scripted to a point)so I'd like to say that I don't let TV dictate how I see the world .

While some very serious topics are made light of in sit coms and stuff I think my parents have done a pretty good job in keeping us atune to the realities of these things.
One of my favorite shows is Two and a half Men...the character Charlie cracks me up and I often jokingly say he's my idol.
But really he's not someone I would be, I would hope that I have more respect for girls than he does. (But ya got to admit he's funny)

To wrap this up ...TV is TV the real world is quite different.

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments TV is good for scifi/fantasy/horror/music specials/

message 17: by Nate (new)

Nate & Sports. lol GO EAGLES!!

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 71 comments Non- Americans, do your TV stations broadcast original shows or just hollywood shows redubbed

message 19: by Nate (new)

Nate @Mary

LOL That's Awesome.

Felllow Eagles fan.

message 20: by Nate (new)

Nate Ugh ..Lets not go there.

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 71 comments so who do you think is going to Super Bowl

message 22: by Nate (new)

Nate Hmm not sure yet. I'm thinking the Steelers may have a go at it.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Jets. Steelers are going down.

message 24: by Nate (new)

Nate I don't fancy the jets but steelers have not been very consistant. Idk I think its anybodys game right now. lol

message 25: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Courtney wrote: "Non- Americans, do your TV stations broadcast original shows or just hollywood shows redubbed"

Here in Portugal there are American/Bristish/Other Countries shows on TV but there are also Portuguese shows, though American ones are usually on the cable channels. Portuguese and Brazillian soap operas and reality shows and other programmes I don't know the name of (umm, Oprah-style?) are the most common in the channels everybody has, though now there seem to be lots of vampire shows too (argh, Twilight emulators!)

Hmm, too much time on TV is definitely bad, especially if all you watch is crap. Sometimes I enjoy watching a nice crappy show, though, just to chill

message 26: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Nate wrote: "My name is Nate and ...I AM A TV JUNKIE.lol However, I also like to read, (the book is always better then the script) and I really like to write.

But I can't live without TV, or my IPod.

As f..."

Haha Two and a half men is so funny. My favorite character is Jake but i also like charlie lol.

message 27: by Nate (new)

Nate @David

Ikr, Charlie is awesome. He is always taking shots at Allen.

This weeks episode with Jake and Eldridge doing the 'dumb ass' videos was funny as hell.

message 28: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments I watched on my dvr last night haha. I like when Jake fed Eldridge beans and then he got on some rollar blades and Jake lit fire to Eldriges ass so then he can fly into the ocean. But it back fired and Eldridge crapped his pants. I was laughin so hard haha. That was da funniest episode of Two and half men i think

message 29: by Nate (new)

Nate Yeah it was one of the best.

What about when Jake drank the coke and then ate the mentos and his dad walks in? That was uproarious. I was laughing my ass off at that.

message 30: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Hahaha so was i. I also like when him and Eldridge were on the roof in a shopping cart and slid off the roof. HAHAHA. I like when Charlie was making T shirts that said asskiteers or something haha.

message 31: by Nate (new)

Nate That was funny too. I like when they were sitting there on the couch after the shopping cart incident and Allen is lecturing them and they are mocking his word choices.

"He said..." and then they would crack up.

message 32: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Hahaha. He was saying words that Jake and Eldridge were saying were geintially jokes. That episode so good, i might watch it again on hulu.

message 33: by Nate (new)

Nate Awesome episode.

message 34: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Hahaha yes.

message 35: by Mary frances (new)

Mary frances (red_mary) | 19 comments i think tv wouldnt be as bad 4 younger ppl as it would on lets say my 80 year old g-pa

message 36: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments i read in the newspaper that TV actually lowers your ability to comprehend.

message 37: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Eh, I don't think that's always true.

message 38: by Jerry (last edited Jan 22, 2011 11:06AM) (new)

Jerry | 850 comments it's a scientific fact, though i'm not sure how it works

message 39: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments I don't believe that since I watch TV all the time I seem to be perfectly fine (at least I think).

message 40: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments well, it probably doesn't happen all at once, at least not significantly.

message 41: by Nate (last edited Jan 22, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Nate I don't think that study is too accurate. I can image if the study was preformed on like real little kids..like lets say toddlers who are never exposed to anything other than TV ..yeah maybe it would effect their ability to comprehend.

In general I don't think TV effects people to that degree.

I should rephrase and say MOST people.

message 42: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments hey, i didn't write the article. i'm just repeating what it said.

message 43: by Nate (new)

Nate Donatello wrote: "hey, i didn't write the article. i'm just repeating what it said."

LOL

message 44: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Siareen | 533 comments Mod
i think people need to know a bit about what they are about to see before they randomly flick through channels. tv has definitely gotten 'dirtier' in the past few years. the biggest problem is when little kids flick through channels and end up seeing things that they shouldnt know about for a good few years and they dotn know how to deal with it. while older people might understand that the things they are seeing arent exactly the way life is supposed to be, children dont. an older person wouldnt start getting into more fights because they see it on tv [well, i would hope they wont], but kids would.

message 45: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments I think its good that kids are being exposed to more mature things at a younger age.

message 46: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

why should they? they have their whole lives to be exposed to such things. let them stay innocent for as long as possible

message 47: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments i think pg13 stuff is highly inappropriate for younger children.

message 48: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments NOooo. I'm glad I was watching PG-13 movies when I was wittle.

message 49: by Siareen, Moderator (last edited Jan 22, 2011 12:24PM) (new)

and im glad i was not. innocence isnt a bad thing until a certain age.

message 50: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments I was still innocent to a degree. It's not like knowing what sex is or some curse words is so terrible.

« previous 1