The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo discussion

Thinking of reading it but worried about the translation

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fabian (new)

Fabian Davy Given the hype, and the availability of it on all 'bestsellers' rack of every bookstore that I went to... I am indeed intrigued. But before I indulged myself in a three-series book (which I haven't in any series) - I am wondering if the book had suffered much in depth after the translation.

This has become my biggest fear of buying books that originated in a language not native to English. Fear of it, missing the original sense.

I know there might be some Swedish readers here, and I appreciate their input.

And how about those that have read it in English?

Thanks a lot.

Victoria I loved it in English....I don't feel anything was lost

Tiana Harris I really enjoyed all three of the books in English. I don't think they lost anything. The first couple chapters of the first book are a little tedious but it is a good book.

Kelly The hardest part for me was the names. Otherwise, the translation was perfect.

Kathy Norris I enjoyed the English translation very much!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I must agree. Nothing was lost in the translation. The names were harder to pronounce, and the obvious odd spellings, such as colour, and such. I found the first 200 pages sort of hard to get through, but towards the end it was amazing.

Eva-Christina Fabian wrote: "This has become my biggest fear of buying books that originated in a language not native to English. Fear of it, missing the original sense."

I see what you mean, but the other way around so to speak. There are many fine Swedish authors, but I would not want to be without Tolstoy, Dumas, Dickens and other foreign authors' works in my bookshelf.

Perhaps I am a bit weird, but I actually enjoy comparing translations. An example: I have read Charlotte Brontë's 'Jane Eyre' in its original language (an edition from 1901) but I have also read it in three different translations into Swedish (1855, 1945 and 1999). It was interesting to see how different periods' language (spelling, vocabulary etc.) had effect on the language in the translation. In this example I was lucky to be able to read the original and another interesting thing about the comparison were how the parts of the orignal text, where I could not figure out the meaning behind the words, had been handled by the translators.

message 8: by Carey (last edited Apr 28, 2011 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carey Totally agree with Kelly and SongoftheWolf. Names were difficult, but writing was very good. Some may say its has excessive details, but I liked it a lot.