What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. older romance deafblind heroine

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments I think this was a Harlequin book one of the bigger ones or something similar...the heroine became deaf blind because of seeing her parents killed, she is still able to get around okay..she is the heir so has a lot of respoonsibility about the people she needs to take care of....
spoiler alert
She is outside by a favorite tree thinking about what to do...at some point she does get her vision and then her hearing back that's all I can remember grrrrr...thanks for any help.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (thisisthatverymab) | 76 comments Have you checked out the "Less Than Perfect" list on All About Romance? They have a fairly comprehensive list of romances featuring disabled characters.

Here's a link: http://likesbooks.com/disabled.html

Good luck!

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40254 comments Mod
Jane, was it any of the books in msg 2?

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Jane's profile is set to Private but the one that lets you send PMs. I sent her one, if no response by the time the next Mod reads this, then I'm thinking it's time to move down to Abandoned.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments Hello,
No I did not find it.:-( Am still looking for it.
Thanks

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Jane--if you bump your thread about once a month or so, then it will keep it active in people's minds so if they find one similar to this they can then suggest a title.

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments It was in the 90's.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36076 comments Mod
What was the setting - contemporary, old western, English regency, etc.? Could you add the spoiler description? Can you tell us a bit more about the heroine and what she does?

message 9: by Jane (last edited Aug 30, 2013 11:26PM) (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments Regency I think. I just don't remember much. All I remember is her family was killed in front of her and she was deafblind, for a while and then got her vision and hearing back. Not at the same time. It was a romance. I do remember it was one of the super Harlequin or Silhouette books.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments Thank you for the links I checked them all and nothing on them sounds like the book I'm looking for. It's funny because I can still remember exactly where it was in the used book store so many years ago. It's not there anymore. lol grrrrr

message 12: by Kris (new)

Yes, isn't that frustrating? Btw, you might be interested in this article on characters who are deaf in romance novels.
http://dearauthor.com/features/essays...

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments Kris,
Thanks so much for all these links I continue to add to my want to read shelves.
That last link is awesome!

message 14: by Kris (new)

You're welcome. Glad you found that article helpful - after that person did all that research, I'm happy to promote her link. :)

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 29 comments Bump

message 16: by bookel (last edited Apr 18, 2014 01:16AM) (new)

bookel | 2484 comments Did you read it early or late
1990s?
New or older book at that time?
I'll have a look soon at the ones I know of.

message 17: by bookel (last edited Apr 18, 2014 02:54AM) (new)

bookel | 2484 comments Hmm, still having trouble finding it. I've read a couple by Beverly Lewis where the woman becomes hysterically blind only (The Postcard and The Crossroad), but that's from Bethany House Publishers and obviously not what you're after (witnessed her son and husband killed in a buggy accident).

message 18: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2484 comments What is she the heir to?
Do you recall how her parents were killed? I have no idea what regency is as I don't read Harlequin or Silhouette books.

message 19: by bookel (last edited Apr 18, 2014 03:39AM) (new)

bookel | 2484 comments Found a list of Harlequin Superromance:
https://www.librarything.com/publishe...
Maybe browsing this and clicking on individual books will help you find it.

Other lists that may help:
Mills & Boon Superromance
http://www.librarything.com/publisher...

Harlequin Regency Romance
http://www.librarything.com/publisher...

http://www.librarything.com/search.php
Search publisher series for more lists.

message 20: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Apr 18, 2014 10:44AM) (new)

Bookel--Regency is the time period where the future George IV ruled for George III because the king was insane. Think Jane Austen. . . (Actual time period 1811 to 1820. In the U.S., it's referred to as the Federal Period.)

message 21: by JennyG (last edited Nov 22, 2015 07:01AM) (new)

JennyG | 555 comments Saw this book search on The Romance Reader:

November # H 10

This is a Viking historical romance written perhaps in the 1980s. The heroine was betrothed to the hero who was the son destined to inherit. She was blinded and deaf following a trauma in her youth. The hero did not want to marry her and stayed away for as long as he could. He returned and met her without recognizing her. He decided to make her his mistress without realizing who she was. She had a dog Bragging I think was the name of the dog. When she sleep walks, she can see, speak and hear.
Eventually, she regained her ability to hear and speak and at the end, her sight as well. There was a portion of the book when they seemed to be on a quest or long journey through a snow bound forest.

This sound really good. I hope you can help identify it. Thank you very much in advance!

It was SOLVED and the title is Midwinter's Night by Jean Canavan?

Could it be the same book you are looking for?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Jane, are you still looking for this or was it JennyG's suggestion?

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Jane, are you still looking for this or was it JennyG's suggestion?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.