Goth ROCKS!! discussion

we're rejects in the world > Why do people think we cut ourselves?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 72 comments Huh. I've been having some misfortunes with some of my peers too.

"Are you Goth?"
"Yes."

And right after, they always ask,
"Are you Emo?"

See, I don't know too much about Emo and Scene (if someone wants to enlighten me, I'd be more than willing).

A lot of the sport-y people love to treat me like dirt. I overheard two:
"Hey, I dare you to ask the goth girl out. I'll give you a dollar,"
"Her? No way!"

Yep. Sometimes I wonder where we're heading ..

message 2: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 41 comments Scene people are stereotypically those people who dye their hair and have the fancier hair styles, and listen to annoying bands that are, in my opinion, much more pop than rock.
Emo people have the side-swept bands that may or may not be dyed and listen to good music (>.<). And some do cut :/ (But then again, so do a few people I know who are a bit more on the prep side :P)

message 3: by Nyghtmare (new)

Nyghtmare I don't see how being goth= emo.....
Everyone thinks it.

message 4: by Laika (new)

Laika | 30 comments I dunno. This kid in theatre asked me if I was emo or goth. I said, 'Well, I'm not sure what I am, but if I had to choose one goth.' Then later on that day at science class someone asked me if I was goth (a different kid). I said, 'I'm really not quite sure; I don't tend to think of myself as anything in particular, after all, these are just social labels put on people who often aren't part of that social group in most cases. So you could say I'm goth if you want to. You could say I was emo if you want to.' she looked at me strangely, and didn't say anything for the rest of class. It's fun doing that to people :)

message 5: by Laika (new)

Laika | 30 comments ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Scene people are stereotypically those people who dye their hair and have the fancier hair styles, and listen to annoying bands that are, in my opinion, much more pop than rock.
Emo people have the..."

Then I guess I classify as the typical 'emo'...I have sideswept bangs and short spiky hair and wear dark clothes and listen to awesome music...I don'tcut myself though.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 41 comments @Laura: Ikr?

@Shadowcat: Yeah, if I met you I'd probably think you're emo :P And yay, don't cut ^-^

message 7: by Laika (new)

Laika | 30 comments hah lol. Nah I'm not emo. I might be steampunk, if I was anything. I'm pessimistic, it's true, and I'm often gloomy and sullen, but I try my best not to act it on the outside (unfortunately it's inevitable on mornings and math days, though!)

message 8: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 72 comments I have math every day. Monday and Tuesday mornings suck ..

message 9: by Laika (new)

Laika | 30 comments bleh. I'm at a school where it's a block schedules where there are A and B days so I don't have to worry about that.

message 10: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 72 comments Same here! But we have the same class for first hour -- that class, for me, being advanced math. It's grown on me for awhile.

message 11: by Laika (new)

Laika | 30 comments oh.

message 12: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 72 comments I also have Spanish every day .. probably my favorite class ^_^

message 13: by Laika (new)

Laika | 30 comments ooh cool.

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 41 comments I have the same schedule daily :(

I usually love math, but this yeah, I can't stand my teacher. And I have her for another class right before that! :*(

message 15: by Laika (new)

Laika | 30 comments I despise math.

message 16: by Anony-miss (last edited Nov 18, 2010 01:34PM) (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 72 comments That stinks. I have an awesome Spanish teacher, but the year after next year, I heard the Spanish teacher teaching is evil. I'll have to find out, I suppose. :P

I used to hate math. I had so many mental blocks against it. I had a really awesome math teacher in fifth grade, and ever since, I've opened myself up to math. This may seem repulsive to you now, but I like doing math. There are days, of course, when you think Why the hell do I need to solve for Satellite A and Satellite B?

Sometimes it depends on the teacher. It helps to study with a friend -- if you find out what "type" of learner you are, you can further aid your learning ability. For example .. I'm a highly visual learner. I re-write my notes, make flash cards, etc.

message 17: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 41 comments Tenebris In Lux wrote: "It helps to study with a friend"

Heh. That only works if both of you actually are set on concentrating >.<

Shadowcat wrote: "I despise math."

Both my parents are mathematicians, so maybe I just find that sort of stuff easier :P

message 18: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 72 comments Yeah -- I tend to get off topic when I'm with my friends, thought. However mature I may be, I'm still a teenager .. :P

message 19: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (queen_of_darkness) | 5 comments People don't understand the difference between a Goth and a Emo. Although I'm a Goth and I self-harm, but I have NEVER cut myself to get attention. I think Emos are the attention seeking type sometimes. I'm not trying to offend anyone though.

message 20: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 12 comments @ Carly I would Agree with that. At my school there's a lot of emo's and I think most of the just do it for attention. Mainly because a lot of them are just like look I cut and telling everyone. When I self harm its not for attention in fact I don't even tell anybody. I also think just because you self harm it doesn't make you emo either though theres defiantly a fine line between goths and emos

message 21: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) Carly wrote: "People don't understand the difference between a Goth and a Emo. Although I'm a Goth and I self-harm, but I have NEVER cut myself to get attention. I think Emos are the attention seeking type somet..."

The real difference between Goth and Emo are actually the music scenes. They both technically grew out of the Punk movement back in the late 70's/early 80's but they took on different qualities - Goth being more somber and bass-line heavy, with Emotive Hardcore having a softer undertone and more melodramatic lyrical content.

Sorry...I'm kind of a subculture geek. :)

That being said, it wasn't until Emo became a teen fad that depression and cutting became a trendy thing to "express your emotions" and personally, I find that to be REALLY DISRESPECTFUL to people who are actually struggling with mental illness and self-harm.