Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Anyone here have either a Nook or Kindle and interested in convincing me to get one over the other?

I was at Best Buy this afternoon and they had these packages where you get the e-reader, a case and a $25 gift card (either Amazon or B&N). I thought that was a pretty good deal.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is a fair question. Sooner or later we will all succumb.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I thought this thread was going to be about"nook vs cranny"

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Granny?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
RandomAnthony wrote: "This is a fair question. Sooner or later we will all succumb."

We will?

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think so. Like we all did to cellular phones and whatever. Essentially they become so cheap and easy they'll be irresistible. I mean, we'll probably still have real books, too, don't get me wrong.

(We did all succumb to cell phones, right? Everyone here has a cell?)

message 7: by Félix (last edited Nov 12, 2010 05:56PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Most of us probably will.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Granny cranny? Ewwwwww!

NEKKID GRAMMA!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

no cell phone here. i'm trying to be quiet.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Cellphones are not the right analogy. Maybe every last human at some point will need to communicate with someone else far away, when there are no longer public phones. But we won't need a book-reading device as long as we own our own books and can carry them around with us. Like magic! I can still fit a book or two or three into a purse or bag. I can even take them to the beach! It's unbelievable.

Maybe in 200 years everyone will need a reading device. But not in our lifetimes.

message 11: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I have an iPad and on it I have iBooks, Kindle, and Kobo (which is Chapter's reader). I really like the iBooks app - it has so many cool features like dictionary, highlighting, notes, search... but they don't have a very good selection of books. Kindle runs a close second in the features that it has. Kobo is pulling in third place.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Kindle. I have it, and I have the app on my iPhone and on my iPad as well. Along with 1500 books, which is a percentage of my income I find intimidating to contemplate. The books are cheap-- it's just addictive!!! I haven't got any iBooks yet on my iPad, but I have sent myself some PDFs there and that's pretty cool. The big selling point for me is the size of the available library and how fast it is being added to-- as well as the number of free or next-to-nothing cost books. (that's the only thing that keeps me sane about the 1500!)

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Welcome to TC, Jennifer! I love my Kindle also. I have a weird issue - I like gadgets but don't like spending money on them (don't want a data plan on my cell phone either) so I have a lot of free stuff on my Kindle.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a kindle (nooks aren't available outside the US). For me it's a price thing. I can buy an ebook for less than $10, where as paperbacks in Australia cost around $25 to $35. However a lot of the books I want to read are not available in ereader format. I am not in love with the kindle, I do prefer to read the paper version. I like to dictionary feature, notes and highlighting function. It's also going to be handy for taking on holidays.

message 15: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) I don't have a cell phone. I loathe phones and talking on them.

My friend Tami sent me her old Kindle. I really like it. I can have a lot of reading material on one device.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I have a Nook and love it. Getting to test drive one in the store sold me on it. However, I plan on buying a K3 at some point as well.

I would suggest going to B&N and Target (for Kindle) and trying them both out.

message 17: by Joan (new)

Joan Tanyà (marcuse) | 3 comments I've got a kindle DX. I remember that it felt strange to be reading on a screen at the beginning, but once you get used it is wonderful to the point that when I read a paper book I keep searching instintively for the kindle features - dictionary, highlighting, ...
I didn't have to choose between a nook or a kindle because nook was not available in Spain at that time.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Cellphones are not the right analogy. Maybe every last human at some point will need to communicate with someone else far away, when there are no longer public phones. But we won't need a book-reading device as long as we own our own books and can carry them around with us. Like magic! I can still fit a book or two or three into a purse or bag. I can even take them to the beach! It's unbelievable.

I hear what you're saying...but with the way products seem to be blending/integrating...reading on your cell phone isn't that hard now, and I imagine the two devices with merge in some meaningful ways. And I don't know that it's a matter of need. There are a lot of devices we don't need that we now take for granted because they're easy to acquire and convenient.

I have a nook app on my cell phone, but I only use it for free books and don't read from it much. I also have GPS on my phone now, for example...that rules.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael RandomAnthony wrote: "I think so. Like we all did to cellular phones and whatever. Essentially they become so cheap and easy they'll be irresistible. I mean, we'll probably still have real books, too, don't get me wr..."

I think they'll come a point in time where we won't have a choice. According to Publishers.org, adult hardcover sales were down 40% in Sept. and down 8% for the year. Paperbacks fared somewhat better so maybe it's a cost thing and not an e-reader thing, but if sales continue to fall, if newspapers and magazines continue to lose readers, why would publishers continue to print?

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I'm drawn to a Kindle. I am tired of trying to find room on my shelves for new books. The storage is what attracts me. We are becoming addicted to gadgets.I do not yet own a cell phone but plan to get one this year. Facebook says I can't use it until I get a cell phone. And it is an alternative to landlines which go down when we lose power (which happens at least once a month). We will get use to reading on gadgets. Remember Star Trek when Spock gave Jim a real,honest to goodness,page turning book? It was an antique and an anachronism in the future. The future is here. has been ever since the first "mac". a 4 gigabyte mobile phone? I never imagined this future when I was 16.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I still don't understand why Facebook says you can't use it without a cellphone, Michelle.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't lust after either the Nook or the Kindle, except right this moment as I prepare to carry my giant library copy of All Clear around New York all day on Friday. It'll be the only thing in my backpack on the way there, but by halfway through the day I'll be hauling around that and fifteen pounds of bagels. And by the end of the day I'll have been to Forbidden Planet and the Strand, so there may be more books.

There is a reasonable part of me suggesting I download it to my iPod, but the rest of me says "no! you promised you wouldn't buy it! you have the library copy! what a waste!" (That part of me apparently likes exclamation points and dislikes capital letters.)

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments to clear up the misconceptions: my name is spelled with one "l" not two. I know, I'm picky. The one "l" spelling was more common prior to 1950. Since I was born in 1947, I got the one "l". I have a friend born in 1958 and she got 2 "l"s in her name. go figure. personally, I think my dad,whose own name was Alphonse, wanted a "michel" but got a daughter instead of a son, so he just added the e at the end.

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I used to work with a woman named Michael.

message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I used to work with a woman named Michael."

it could have been worse, because I was born on Dec.25th, my godmother wanted to name me Noella. Luckily, Michele prevailed.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

It could have been much worse, as it was for Obama's poor mother, Stanley Ann Dunham.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "I used to work with a woman named Michael."

There's an actress from Homicide: Life on the Street named Michael Michele.

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Also the actress Michael Learned, Mother Walton on The Waltons.

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments There's a well-known art historian by the name of Michael Ann Holly, mother of the actress Lauren Holly. I had always assumed that she went by Michael-Ann and that it was a hyphenated name, but I met her last year up at the Clark in Williamstown, and apparently she just goes by Michael.

message 30: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Oh, and both the Nook and the Kindle seem like they're not quite ready for prime-time yet. I do like the idea of e-books in principle and will probably make the switch once the hardware improves.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Jonathan wrote: "Oh, and both the Nook and the Kindle seem like they're not quite ready for prime-time yet. I do like the idea of e-books in principle and will probably make the switch once the hardware improves."

Thank you for saying this. I saw that Amazon will be selling the Kindle 2 tomorrow for only $89 and I felt myself being pulled.

message 32: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I like old fashioned books and newspapers. I guess for travel a nook or kindle would be handy, but I'm not ready.

message 33: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments my niece has a kindle and told me she really likes it. but that nothing beat reading a paper book in bed,turning real pages. I just think storing a lot of books on a storage device is really convenient. My shelf space is limited where I am currently living so I am reluctant to buy books...where will I put them? I recently had to give away about 100 before my bookcases collapsed. and boxing and moving books is a huge chore. 17 boxes last time.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.