Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies of the Month > Director of the Month?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Nov 12, 2010 02:36PM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments hey folks,

a while back we were voting on "director of the month" - which meant we all tried to watch some films by a certain director and discuss their movies.

is there any interest in resurrecting this practice? if so, chime in with ideas on what director you would like to celebrate or learn more about. you can list a few names here and we will vote - or use the poll thing.

seems like we have time to consider who we would want to watch in december - i know december is a busy month for a lot of people with holidays and all, but it's also a time when some of us might have more time to watch movies - with family or not...

chime in if you have an interest in this. if not, no worries.

message 2: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments I'd be interested. Wasn't around here when you guys did do this, and it seems like a great idea. Not sure what directors you have done in the past, and I'm not very picky either way on that. But I would love a Fellini, Bergman, or Ozu month, those being the first three classic directors that come to mind which I have seen absolutely nothing of.

message 3: by Phillip (last edited Nov 12, 2010 08:46PM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i voted for ozu once but it didn't catch fire - i'd be up for him - or anything really ... fellini would be fun!

message 4: by Cindy (last edited Nov 12, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments I wasn't around these parts for the first round, so sure...I'd be interested. Due to my current living arrangements, it's sometimes tough for me to get to watch movies when I want to. But I'll always try to make an effort. My favorite director is Carl Dreyer, so I'd love a chance to hear other folks' reactions to his work. It would be even more fun to see films of directors I know little or nothing about -- Fassbinder, Bunuel or Mizoguchi, for instance -- and read other more-informed members' opinions.

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Nov 12, 2010 08:50PM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments it's nice to get a few responses. let's just let the suggestions percolate for a week or so and if we have too many to choose from, maybe get people to post one or two names and then we can make a poll and vote. i'll refrain from adding to the list until we get some more responses.

in the past, we have had:
alfred hitchcock
akira kurosawa
uh, i am going to have to go back and look again and post the others we've done. more soon.

i see that i posted a thread on ozu and some of us participated in watching some of his films, but we didn't vote him in as a director of the month.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) I'm not sure if we've had:
Fedrico Fellini
Richard Brooks
David Lynch
Bob Fosse

message 7: by Phillip (last edited Nov 15, 2010 08:59AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments there's always more room for stating your favorite directors!

message 8: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments I think Haneke could prove to be an interesting choice. Most of the suggestions so far have been classic directors, so I think it could be cool to talk about a more recent, current guy. Plus his movies seem to lead themselves extremely well to discussion.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Baxter wrote: "I think Haneke could prove to be an interesting choice. Most of the suggestions so far have been classic directors, so I think it could be cool to talk about a more recent, current guy. Plus his m..."

That's a good idea. The classic ones are good of course, but I would be open to more recent filmmakers. I've been stuck in Classicsland for quite a while now. I've pretty much ignored most films made after 1960, and even the 50s have been pretty sparsely represented. Filmmakers who came of directorial age in the 80s and later might be a good direction to take.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments haneke is a decent choice. i've seen several of his films and there are a few more i haven't seen. there are a lot of contemporary directors worth checking out - should they be an american director? spanish? portugese? swedish? japanese? it might be nice to do some of the newer asian directors that have a wide range of styles under their belts.

message 11: by Robert (last edited Nov 16, 2010 05:10AM) (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Cindy wrote: "The classic ones are good of course, but I would be open to more recent filmmakers. I've been stuck in Classicsland for quite a while now. I've pretty much ignored most films made after 1960, and even the 50s have been pretty sparsely represented. Filmmakers who came of directorial age in the 80s and later might be a good direction to take. "

...or split the difference and go with Altman. I've never been a big fan (save MASH and McCabe), but Altman discussions tend to get lively.

Phillip: "it might be nice to do some of the newer asian directors that have a wide range of styles under their belts."

Kurosawa younger and Ki-duk Kim are the first folks who come to mind, and both are sterling. (The former also ties into classics-land with the rerun of Seance on a Wet Afternoon, and what an underrated film both versions of that bad boy are!) Could probably make a case for Oxide Pang, though that would require people to sit through The Tesseract. Guh. I used to think the PangBros could do no wrong...

not quite as varied in his output, but Takeshi Kitano. I haven't yet seen a Kitano film that didn't blow me away on at least some level.

(And since you mentioned Swedes, I gotta plug Anders Thomas Jensen, the man gets no love and is making the funniest movies on the planet right now.)

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) I like the posts. Let's definitely mix it up.

message 13: by mark (last edited Nov 16, 2010 08:28PM) (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) altman's always a great idea, but it could be interesting to look at more recent directors too. or more obscure ones. i'm a big fan of many asian directors as well.

kiyoshi kurosawa is a great idea.
michael almereyda?
andrei zulawski?

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments or actor of the month? we watch a series of films that features a certain actor ... just thinking there could be more than one "group view" going on ...

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Phillip wrote: "or actor of the month? we watch a series of films that features a certain actor ... just thinking there could be more than one "group view" going on ..."

I like that idea. Take an actress like Juliette Binoche for example.

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments exactly ... i'd like to take juliet binoche, for example

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) JAMES FRANCO

oh, wait, I should wait for Nusheen to say that.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Robert wrote: "JAMES FRANCO

oh, wait, I should wait for Nusheen to say that."

LOL How about James Remar?

message 19: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Mookerjee (adityamookerjee) | 12 comments It seems the movies of Kurosawa, are epics of the motion picture, and they don't seem to be abridged adaptations of real epics for the large screen. Different directors are liked for different reasons. Kurosawa made us appreciate the Japanese in the epic motion picture. The Japanese in Yojimbo, and the Seven Samurai, wasn't a romantic personality, and he seems to be what his contemporaries didn't want to be, associated with motion pictures, as persons. His contemporaries seem to be a number, and equally great in his era. The only names I can associate are Truffaut and Satyajit Ray, as his equally great contemporaries, and they were definitely emotional, sentimental and romantic, more so Satyajit Ray, than Truffaut. The French directors are more real, and even want to find reality in what is also not explored as real or not by them, because they haven't got the idea before.

message 20: by Angana (new)

Angana (Tuaa) | 7 comments this is so strange, people had so many directors to pick from and ultimately no one came to decide upon one?

message 21: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5483 comments This might be fun to start up again -- anyone interested?

message 22: by JC Canale (new)

JC Canale | 14 comments I'm in.... I just don't know the "rules"

message 23: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i'm in ...

there were never any real rules - just that we voted on a director to focus on over the course of a month - try to see as many of their films as possible, and have ensuing discussions.

anyone up for making a short list of directors to choose from? in the past we have had hitchcock, and ... well, i forget. i'll look at the threads. at this point, there are few of us who are still around from when this was happening - so it may not matter if there is a repeat of a director.

of the directors we haven't explored, i might present a short list of:

ingmar bergman
federico fellini
luis bunuel
john ford
chan-wook park

just off the top of my head kind of thing.

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5483 comments Ford might be worth doing -- easily accessible, literally and figuratively.

message 25: by Kaja (new)

Kaja | 3 comments I love Bergman's movies! :) And I would like to see more Kurosawa (I wrote a project about him as part of my Japanese studies, but only got to see a few of the movies).

Looking forward to seeing what we can get together here.

message 26: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i have the feeling folks will forget about this before it gets any real steam going

message 27: by Djll (new)

Djll | 949 comments I don't have a Netflix account so I might not be the most-plugged-in participant.

Hulu, yes, so all those Criterions are available. Quite a few Bergmans and Bunuels.

I'm more in the 'classics' bag than trying to scoop up new and obscure directors from around the globe. FWIW

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5483 comments Anybody interested in getting this going again? We used to have some good fun with it!