Chick Lit discussion

Sophie Kinsella Books

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura East (ljeast29) | 2 comments I am about to start reading one of the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella and I wanted to ask for some feedback first. So what do you guys think of this series and which books were the best? The one I picked up is Shopaholic Ties the Knot because I just got married and thought I might like it. Thoughts please!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 7 comments I think the original is the best, Confessions of a Shopaholic. I've enjoyed all the books, I think Shopaholic and Sister is my least favorite. I would start at the beginning of the series, Becky defiantly 'grows'.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyhilde) | 4 comments I would start at the first in the series. I am not sure what the title is, but it is not "Ties the Knot."

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 8 comments DEFINITELY start at the beginning! It's so much fun that way!

xoxo
b

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I loved them all but "Shopoholic and Sister" is my least favourite of the series.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura East (ljeast29) | 2 comments thanks for the advice girls...i'll start at the beginning

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments I agree with all the other ladies...start at the beginning. You have to fully understand her shopping tendancies and her personality. She is a great character! I enjoyed the entire series, but I think the first and Takes Manhattan are my favs.

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Stewart (jennielynn286) | 1 comments I also agree you should start from the beginning. You really get to know the people and watch them grow. Takes Manhattan and Ties the Knot are my favorite.

message 9: by Samara (new)

Samara Agree with the above, start at the beginning, I found the first two the best. Definitely Shopaholic & Sister is the least best of the series. Now that I've read more of Kinsella's other books, I actually like them better than that series. Can You Keep A Secret & Remember Me were great.

message 10: by Angela (last edited Jul 24, 2008 08:17AM) (new)

Angela | 9 comments Oh, my goodness. I can't believe you haven't read the Sophaholic books. I love them, and I HATE shopping and fashion and all things superficial.

Maybe that's why I love the books so much--they are the antithesis of who I am and what my life is like. They are pure escapist literature for me.

The best bet is to start at the beginning. My favorite book is Shopaholic and Baby, because it paralleled a lot of what happened during my pregnancy with my daughter and what was going on with my husband at the time and his female friend. It really cut to the bone, but added a good dose of humor, making the reality of life a lot more bearable.

message 11: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments S:

That's been my feeling. In the first Shopoholic book I got so frustrated by Becky's making the same mistakes over and over. I really liked The Domestic Goddess and Can You Keep a Secret and Remember Me was the best yet.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I looooove the Shopaholic series! The books made me cry, and then laugh making some pretty awkward noises haha. I learned to not read the books in public ;) The first book is the best, but the rest of the series is also fabulous!

message 13: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 9 comments Yes, I agree the series is great. What I really like too is that the writer makes the writing looks so easy, when we all know how hard it is to write! I haven't read the latest one with the plot about amnesia, have you?

message 14: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) i recently read the first Shopaholic, Remember Me, & Undomestic Goddess. I loved them all! Remember Me was my favorite. I bought the next two Shopaholics and I'm excited to read them. I really enjoy her books...they are fun reads!

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) I love Sophie Kinsella! My favorite is the Undomestic Goddess. But they are all great reads!!! :)

message 16: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) Sophie Kinsella now also has another pen name...Madeleine Wickham.

message 17: by Synova (new)

Synova | 5 comments I really like Sophie Kinsella's writing, but I've read a couple of Madeleine Wickham's books, and don't enjoy them nearly as much. I know it's the same person, but for some reason the writing style is different. (Can You Keep a Secret is my favorite SK by the way)

message 18: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments I, too, am a huge fan of Sophie Kinsella but really didn't enjoy the one Madeline Wickham book I read. As a result I've avoided any other books she's written since. I'm glad to hear that someone else feels the same way. Thought it was just me!

message 19: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 19 comments I loved "Can You Keep a Secret." It was the first Kinsella book I read and I thought it was absolutely hysterical!

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (djb1311) | 7 comments I could not stop reading Undomestic Goddess or Can you keep a secret? They were funny and really kept me entertained. Are her shopaholic books the same way? I have been hesitant about starting the series.

message 21: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) The Shopaholic Series are my favorite. I was surprised I liked her other books as much sine I truly fell in love with the characters of the series.

message 22: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 19 comments I've stayed away from the Shopaholic books too-maybe I'll pick them up at some point.

message 23: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinaruns) | 1 comments I love the Shopaholic Series. The books are everything I love about chick lit, they are funny, enthralling, and I can relate to the main character.

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz | 13 comments I love the whole series!

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (mac\u0026chip) (macchip) | 2 comments The first Shopaholic book is my favorite. While Becky's character does grow, in some books I just find her highly annoying. I just want to scream, "stop doing that, you know it's wrong."

My favorite Kinsella book by far is "Can You Keep a Secret?" I find her main character in that book more realistic. Her new book "Remember Me?" is also pretty good.

message 26: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments Good choice in starting from the beginning! I hands down agree that Shopaholic and Sister is the worst of the bunch. I just started reading Shopaholic and Baby (but got sidetracked by Me vs. Me) and for some reason I'm not picking it back up to read it again. I don't know why!! Yikes!

message 27: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments OH WOW! I just saw the trailer for Confessions of a Shopaholic...yay! Although Suze isn't blond...that will be weird.

message 28: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacyb27) | 1 comments I love books too. Have you read any that she writes as Madeline Wickham? They are good too.

message 29: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments I've only read one of her books as Madelein Wickham (Cocktails for Three) and I didn't really enjoy it much. Although I love her books as Sophie Kinsella, my experience with Cocktails for Three has left me reluctant to pick up any of the others. Do you have a favorite you'd recommend?

message 30: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) I haven't yet read the Shopaholic sister, but I LOVED Can you Keep a Secret and thoroughly enjoyed the Undomesticated Goddess. Kinsella is just so witty!

message 31: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 5 comments I also didn't like Cocktails for Three, but I wanted to give the Wickham books another chance.
So I just read her newest Wickham book: "Sleeping Arrangements" and this one was much better. I've also read " The Gatecrasher" which is also pretty good.

message 32: by Collette (new)

Collette (vwbernie) | 16 comments I really enjoyed all of the Shopaholic books that I've read which is all but Sister. I'll have to see what I think about that one.
I have Undomestic Goddess but haven't read that one. I LOVED Can you Keep a Secret. I've read it and listened to it.
I have a couple of her Wickman books but haven't read the yet. Now I'm really curious since there are mixed messages around here about them. lol

message 33: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Can anyone provide the correct reading order of the Shopaholic series? I'd be very greatful!

message 34: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I think the order is (this is at least the order I've read them in, and they all make sense!):

Confessions of a Shopaholic
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Shopaholic Ties the Knot
Shopaholic and Sister
Shopaholic and Baby

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong....

message 35: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Thanks, Jen!