Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Archived 2010 Group Reads > The Woman in White - Pre-Schedule Discussion

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristi (kristicoleman) By popular vote our next Chunkster Classic group read will be
The Woman in White !!

I will be getting the book over the weekend and work up a schedule. I am thinking of starting the reading schedule the week of 11/21.

Can everyone be ready by then? Let me know if we should push the start date back to the beginning of December.

I will try to have the schedule posted by 11/18. I need some feedback here, how many pages does everyone feel would be good to read per week...here are your options:

50 pgs
100 pgs
150 pgs

Post a reply with your preference, and I will go with what the most people want. Please have your preferences in by 11/16! Thanks everyone!

Jason (jasonct) Sounds like a great start time for me!

I'd say 50 or 100 pages/wk would be ideal.

message 3: by Loretta (new) - added it

Loretta (lorettalucia) Hey guys, I found a BEAUTIFUL copy of The Woman in White today. I went into Borders expecting to just get a standard paperback, and couldn't pass this up.

The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) by Wilkie Collins

It's a cloth-bound HC.

This particular copy is about 620 pages of the novel, followed by about 50 pages of appendices.

One of the appendices actually has a description of how it was serialized--it was done in 40 installments, each about 15 pages, except for the first one.

Kristi, if it would be helpful, I can type up the serialization schedule. I think it would make sense to read about 3-4 installments a week, which would be about 60 pages. Then we'd be done in 10 weeks.

Jason (jasonct) Nice find Loretta! I have it on my Kindle, but I may have to check this version out as I am a sucker for buying books :)

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) I need to find me a used copy somewhere. I vote for 50 pages a week and waiting until December to start. I will be done with finals by the 4th.

Andrea I would say 50 - 75 pages is the best. Once you get to 100 or more it becomes a lot harder for people to keep up. We may also need to consider the difficulty or reading the book because of language, print size, etc. I plan on getting the book this week!

message 7: by Amy (last edited Nov 12, 2010 09:11PM) (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) I think if cut off points are chosen by Chapter, or sections, then font size won't matter. I'm sure we will all have different editions. So, this way everyone will read the same amount of material every week.

Kristi (kristicoleman) Usually when I write up a schedule I go into it with a page count in mind and then use the chapters as a guide. So I would go in thinking 50 pgs, and then whatever chapter fell closest to that is where the schedule would sit.

Loretta I would love to see the serialized schedule, but I'm not promising to use it. I'd like the chance to look it over and then make the final decision. Congrats on the beautiful book too, I'm going to be out by B&N today, and I'll have to get my copy, so I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled!

Thanks for all the input everyone, It's looking like about 50 pages, give or take.

Kristi (kristicoleman) I loved your cover so much I just had to change the group pic to it...thanks for showing it to us!!

message 10: by Loretta (new) - added it

Loretta (lorettalucia) The Installment Schedule was as follows:

1) End of part IV, p. 31
2) End of Part VII, p. 48
3) End of Part VIII, p. 63
4) End of Part X, p. 77
5) End of Part Xii, p. 93
6) End of Part XIII, p. 107
7) End of Part XV, p.126
8) End of Part II, p. 146
9) End of Part IV, p. 161
10) End of Part I, p. 179
11) End of Part II, p. 195
12) End of Part I, p. 210
13) End of Part IIm, p. 225
14) End of Part III, p. 241
15) End of Part IV, p. 256
16) End of Part III, p. 266
17) After "Anne Catherick," p. 275
18) End of Part VI, p. 288
19) End of Part VII, p. 302
20) After "The rain was only threatening; it had not come yet." p. 316
21) End of Part IX, p. 334
22) After "My tiresome sister's foreign husband. Count Fosco." p. 347
23) After "Had he found her?" p. 361
24) End of Part I, p. 375
25) After "Miss Halcombe, ma'am, has not left Blackwater Park, either." p. 390
26) End of 5. The Narrative of Walter Hartright p. 411
27) After "the next day at Limmeridge House." p. 424
28) End of Part III, p. 439
29) End of Part IV, p. 451
30) End of Part VI, p. 464
31) End of Part VII, p. 477
32) End of Part VIII, p. 491
33) End of Part IX, p. 504
34) End of Park X, p. 521
35) After "give you the answer immediately." P. 534
36) End of Part I, p. 543
37) End of Part II, p. 555
38) End of Part III, p. 578
39) End of Part VII, p. 598
40) End of Part III, p. 627

Apparently he cut some parts off in the middle of a chapter, which is sort of odd... I guess it was edited slightly differently once it was put into volumes.

message 11: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Reid (lizareid) I just bought the same copy today, Loretta! I'm excited to begin, and I agree that 50-100 pages per week should be a great pace.

message 12: by Loretta (last edited Nov 14, 2010 12:37PM) (new) - added it

Loretta (lorettalucia) Liza, after I bought that copy, I Googled around to figure out what the deal with it was--apparently, Penguin released something like 10-15 classics in these gorgeous editions. Unfortunately, for the most part, it seems that the books are "the usual suspects"--Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Little Women, A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass, and a couple others I can't remember.

Unfortunately, I own many of those books already, though I'm wondering if replacing the beat-up MMPBs that I've had since I was 12 or 13 and reread multiple times might not be in order. :) And when I get around to buying/reading the few I don't own already, this is probably the version I'll get, especially since all the ones I listed above were originally published in English, so there's no worry about getting a sub-par translation in order to get a pretty volume.

And I imagine that if these sell well, Penguin will continue to release classics in these editions. My research suggests that the original set was published in 2009, and that a few more came out in early 2010.

Oh, and they're all $20, Amazon tends to have them for around $13ish, and I got the Woman in White using one of those coupons Borders is always emailing me--I think this one was 33% off. They're definitely an investment, but I figure why not treat myself considering how many times I've reread some of the books I listed. :)

I'll stop sounding like a commercial now. Don't worry, Penguin isn't really giving me a commission.

message 13: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Reid (lizareid) Yeah, I got mine with a Borders coupon too - you're spot on - it was selling for $20 original. It's awesome to know that there are more out there with this sort of hard-bound beauty. I agree, it's a definite investment, and since I'm the kind of person who LOVES my library collection, I think it's worth trading out an old paperback for a bound copy of this quality. Especially in the long run. Maybe something to add to your Christmas list this year.... Guess I know what I'll be adding to my Wish List on Amazon this morning. :)

message 14: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) My vote is for 100 pages in a week. Otherwise, I would be afraid I would run ahead. I'm excited about this. This is finally a book I haven't read yet that hopefully, I can stick to the plan here! :)

As pretty as your copy here is, I'm gonna stick to my father's old copy that we found going through his old book. It is a version that has this and The Moonstone. I'm looking forward to this! :)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Oh wow Kathy, what a treasure! I wish my Dad read, he only does magazines, and Mom only does Smut. Nothing to have passed down to me. :S

message 16: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) lol. My parents both read. My mom still reads things on the little bit lighter side, but I'm thrilled she's still reading. My dad, when he was alive read EVERYTHING! Everything from fiction, history, philosophy, science fiction, memoirs....you name it. I try to run the gammit like him! He would always have 5 or more going at the same time, because he never knew what he would be in the mood for at a given time. Good memories! And all the more why I love to read books that were his. He would love it, and would be giving me his opinion every step of the way! lol :)

message 17: by Erik (new) - added it

Erik Laiho (elaiho) 100 pages sounds fairly easy.

Trisha I vote for 50 pages a week. I had actually just started it before it was posted in the group and the dialogue is a little tricky and slow-going. I am only a little ways into it and plan to wait for the schedule, but I just wanted to warn that the dialogue is very....unique!

Andrea When reading classics language can really slow things down and when you rush you miss out on really reading the book as it should be read.

Denise (momtoconnor) This is my first book reading with this group...looking forward to starting it, but I would also vote for about 50 pages a week too.

message 21: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) If the majority of you guys are keen on 50, I'll go with that. Maybe that would be good. Isn't the schedule listeed about for 60 pages?

Kristi (kristicoleman) ***Please Read***

Kathy, that's not the schedule. That was just the Serialized way that the book was put out way back when.

I am working on the schedule and plan to have it up by Wednesday. I am planing to do about 50 pgs per week, give or take a few depending on where chapters fall.

Everyone, just to clarify the schedule is not posted yet...Loretta was just letting me see how they did it back in the day. Sorry for any confusion that caused! :)

AM10000 I actually downloaded a copy for free on my iphone through the kindle app, so I think I will be trying it...Not sure how I will like reading on the phone though!

message 24: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Reid (lizareid) AM10000 wrote: "I actually downloaded a copy for free on my iphone through the kindle app, so I think I will be trying it...Not sure how I will like reading on the phone though!"

I've tried some of those iPhone reads as well... In my opinion, it's great when you're stuck someplace (in line or a waiting room) and have forgotten your book; you can then catch up on a chapter or two. I'm not sure I'd be able to read an entire 600 page book (with end notes and whatnot) on it. I'd probably get a headache after a while - then again, I stare at a computer screen all day long, so maybe not... :)

Tasha @AM, I read this one on an iPhone app and it worked out well for me. I especially liked it for the convenience in traveling and night reading.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I actually think I am going to sit this one out, even though I voted for it and really want to read it. I am WAY behind on The Stand, and am reading The Sunne is Splendour with another group, which is also huge.

Sorry guys.

Kristi (kristicoleman) No worries Lyn. I hope you have fun reading The Sunne In Splendour: A Novel of Richard III!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks Kristi. I am looking forward to it, but today I am trying to get caught up on The Stand. It is such a great book!

Andrea The Woman in White is available as a free download on Project Gutenberg if anyone is interested!

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/583

AM10000 I ordered a copy of The Woman in White from Bookcloseouts.com today, so I will definitely be joining you all with this one! :)

message 31: by Loretta (new) - added it

Loretta (lorettalucia) Awww, Lyn, we'll miss you, but hopefully you'll join us on the contemporary read in 6 weeks. :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I plan to Loretta. Thanks. And I even have a copy of Woman in White. Bummer. But two chunksters is all I can handle at the time, lol.

message 33: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) Lyn, The Woman is White really isn't that big. My copy barely qualifies as a chunkster at 503 pages ;o)

I hope I will be able to start this one soon. It always takes me longer to read these old British novels. I read the Introduction last night and am super mad that the plot was spoiled! Why did I do that?

message 34: by Loretta (new) - added it

Loretta (lorettalucia) Ugh, introductions are the WORST. I skipped right over that when I started the book (lesson learned from previous reading experiences). I'll read it when I'm done.

Andrea I get so annoyed by this as well. My family laughs at me because I won't even read the back of a book anymore because they give away way too much. I read a line or two and then take a chance based on that. I read the back and introductions after I have finished the book...lol

Movies previews are also a pain because they show way too much as well. Just my little cents anyhow :)

Kristi (kristicoleman) lol..I usually base my book choices (what I pick up to see if the back looks good) on how nice the cover is. I am not a follower of the "don't judge a book by it's cover" school of thought!

message 37: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Reid (lizareid) Ashamed, but agreed, Kristi! :)