Jane Austen discussion

Fall 2010 Movie Discussions > November 12-- Casablanca

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
The 1943 classic Casablanca, which stars Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, is the film we'll be discussing for the next couple of weeks. Enjoy and comment here in this thread when you've seen it!

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments Hands down my favorite film of all time. Fantastic writing!! Truly love Bogart and Bergman in this.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) This is one of those classic movies. There is something about a man in a trench coat, and a fedora.

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan I love this movie also. You don't even notice it is in black and white.

message 5: by Amalie (last edited Nov 14, 2010 09:28PM) (new)

Amalie Ah! I'm so glad this thread is here. I've been reading a lot these days and really need a break. I love this movie, though I'm not a big black and white movie fan.

For me this is not a story about "Hollywood's finest moment" "A new step in cinematography" etc. etc. For me, it's even more than a romance, or a story of intrigue, Casablanca becomes a place that speaks to the audience about that place we seek for some kind of redemption. In a level, every character in the story receives the same kind of catharsis and their lives are forever changed.

I've got the DVD I'll come back to this after watching again. I heard that there's a colourised version of this. Has anyone seen that?

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments Yes. Don't watch it.

The color doesn't add anything; actually it detracts, because you're so busy looking at it and not watching the story unfold. Plus, IMO, it makes it looks dumb.

(Come to think of it, I don't know if that version's even available anywhere.)

message 7: by Amalie (new)

Amalie I've not seen it, I've heard there is such a one. Thanks.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I wish they would not "colorize" movies, I saw a colorized version of Miracle on 34th Street, and it was not done adequately. Black and White is where it is at.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments Robin totally agree. Black and white is def where it's at

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Once they mess with the color it is no good. There was a reason why it is in Black and White.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lissieb7) | 17 comments Just finished watching this movie yet again and loved it every bit as much as the first time I saw it! This is a wonderful movie!

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Haven't got the movie yet, i will probably reserve from the library sometime next week. I still have to watch Dracula which I have here somewhere, I need to look for it.

message 13: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) | 57 comments I love Casablanca. Almost every line is quotable.
I watched it again last night. I marked a couple that make me laugh besides the "I'm shocked,' quote by Captain Renault when he needs to shut down Rick's.

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

Rick: And remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.
Captain Renault: That is my *least* vulnerable spot.

message 14: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments In my college English class, we had to compare the impact difference between the color and b/w versions of Casablanca. Most of us loved the b/w version best. Same reason why we like the Wizard of Oz to start in b/w then BLAM in color!

Lani -- you used one of my favorite laugh out loud quotes "I was misinformed". HEE!

message 15: by Robin (last edited Nov 17, 2010 12:59PM) (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments Tanja, what a really cool study!

Speaking of the Wizard of Oz, does anyone beside me hear the Wicked Witch's theme in their head when Maj. Strasser is driving all get-out to the airport?

And don't get me started on quotable lines! One of my faves goes --

Maj. Strasser: Are you one of those people who cannot bear to see the Nazis in their beloved Paris?
Rick: It's not particularly
my beloved Paris ....
The Nazi flunkie: Can you see us in New York?
Rick: When you get there, ask me!

message 16: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) | 57 comments Now that you mention it Robin...hehe.

Although when he is in Rick's club and Cpt Renault's office I could hear Darth Vader's theme.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I not much of a Bogart or Bergmann fan (though I loved her in Murder On The Orient Express--very fine actress) but I enjoy this movie frequently. I love WW2, black and white movies, especially from those naive days of Hollywood in the 40s. Excapism by the tons.
I loved Rick quotes, that was a good one Tanja.
Patg

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Not to get off topic, but I was supposed to watch Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker Dracula, I really tried to watch but with Keanu and Winona doing bad British accents, and Gary Oldman, and his weird white do, and the succubi who were in bed with Keanu. Frankly, I turned it back to the library. I am a glutton for punishment, though, I got the Bram Stoker Dracula novel. I will have to watch Casablanca. I am a little behind in my viewing.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 106 comments Good choice, Robin. The novel is much better than the movie. But then again, I have always loved the myth of Dracula.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

My dad adores this movie and it was him who actually made me watch it. ;) Along with "Gone With The Wind" and "Philadelphia Story" it's my most beloved old, classic movie. I'm not a fan of Bogart but Laszlo was just an incredible character. And very very handsome.

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Good choices, Joanna, Gone with the Wind is the all-time hands down favorite of mine, Philadelphia Story is another good one as well, there is a Grace Kelly version of this as well. I think it is called High Society with Bing Crosby if I am not mistaken.

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments I didn't watch the film due to the casting. I love it for the story. The b/w cast of shadows provides the perfect tone to the scene. Just imagine Bogart drinking that night alone in the bar in color. Not the same tone, eh?

I'll never tire of Casablanca.

What did everything think of the bazaar? The monkey appearance? Suffice to say, I always think of Indiana Jones when I think of that monkey. HEE!

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Having walked through a few of those kinds of bazaars, every time I see one in films, I feel the tension rise. They can get a little scary.
I don't like monkeys.
Robin, don't you think High Society was a little lighter than the Philadelphia Story? Both good, though.
Patg

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes, it definitely had a different feel o it, and I guess Grace Kelly put a lot of her sophistication in the role. I think Katharine Hepburn was the perfect female in Philadelphia Story, she played off well to both Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant. The other characters made the whole story funny, as well.

message 25: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Guys, let's talk about that when we watch The Philadelphia Story next month!

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) okay

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I'd better rent it to remember more thoroughly.

message 28: by Amalie (last edited Nov 24, 2010 09:40PM) (new)

Amalie Coming back to my point of redemption; on the surface Casablanca may seen as a romance, but has several layers. In one, it's a story of liberation.

Rick's is the most obvious where he learns to live again, instead of hiding from the lost love and he also learns that there are things in the world more noble and important and he wants to be a part of them. Louis gets his liberation by seeing the sacrifice Rick makes and is inspired to choose a side. Even Ferrai, gets a measure of redemption by pointing Ilsa and Lazlo to Rick as a source of escape even though there is nothing in it for him.

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I haven't watch Casablanca in awhile, but there is redemption for all parties involved. I wonder out loud is Ilsa would have gone with Rick if she did not have her husband to fall back on. I think she would have gone with him in a heartbeat.

message 30: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Amalie wrote: "Coming back to my point of redemption; on the surface Casablanca may seen as a romance, but has several layers. In one, it's a story of liberation.

Rick's is the most obvious where he learns to..."

I love your point about redemption, Amalie. I think it is completely accurate, and one of the best things about Bogart's character is how dynamic he is. Rick changes from the beginning of the film to the end, and it is a satisfying story because of it.

I also love all the great lines you all have already quoted--the writing here is probably the central thing that makes the film as great as it is. The actors are wonderful, but without that script, who knows what the film would have been like? One of my fave lines is when Cpt. Renault is speculating about why Rick doesn't return to America and he says, "I like to think that you killed a man, it's the romantic in me."

An amazing film that will ALWAYS stand the test of time, as it already has for over sixty years.

message 31: by Gary (new)

Gary | 8 comments Good points about Redemption made here. Have always thought this theme in Casablanca is similar to the one in "A Tale Of Two Cities". The cynical outsider makes the ultimate sacrifice when he wakes up to the evil around him.

message 32: by Amalie (new)

Amalie You are right quite Gary, I did not see the similarity till you pointed out. The "ultimate sacrifice" in Rick's case is lighter I think comparing to Sydney Carton, but so much similar. I love that novel. Who knows may be the scriptwriter of Casablanca had the influence from Carton's character when he came up with Rick.