Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

And Everything Else > Author signings & book festivals!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 44 comments Ever since this summer I've started to go to a bunch of authors signings and book festivals..so much fun! I think the best parts, aside from meeting authors and getting books signed, has been meeting other GR friends and bloggers!

I figured it would be cool to share what bookish events we've gone to and are planning to go to so that we can meet up with people!

Since the end of August I've been to:

-PAYA -- a small YA book festival focused on bringing more YA sections to libraries in PA. Saw Cyn Balog, Shelena Shorts, Jennifer Murgia, Josh Berk, etc.
-Brooklyn Book Festival -- Saw Sara Shephard, Lauren Oliver, Jenny Han
-National Book Festival--Saw Suzanne Collins and one of my favorite adult authors--Jonathan Safran Foer

Signings:

-Laurie Halse Anderson: She's AWESOME! Seriously. She made the most hilarious video for me (for a friend). She's such an engaging speaker as well.
- David Levithan and Rachel Cohn: Rachel was soo sweet and David was just hilarious.

I'm going to see Jennifer Donnelly tonight in Princeton, NJ. Anybody going to that?

Also, A.S. King is coming to New Hope, PA in December and I'll be going to that!

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I love going to Wordstock every year in Portland, Oregon.
This weekend I'm hopping the train up to Seattle for the Emerald City Comicon!

:)

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie How I wish I could visit Portland and Seattle! There's a good chance I will live in Vancouver in a a year or two, so perhaps then!

message 4: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I live in Orlando and unfortunately there aren't very many festivals and author signings here.

Luckily, we had the NCTE conference in Nov and the IRA conference is in May and at these you get to meet so many authors!!!

I still wish more would come visit us here on a regular basis...

message 5: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments I feel the same way Kellee. I'm in Alabama and nothing comes here either. We have few book signings now and then, but that's about it. And it's usually local authors I've never heard of (no offense to them, I just don't know them or their books).

I have traveled to Atlanta a few times for events, but the price of gas makes it tough...

message 6: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) vicki_girl wrote: "I feel the same way Kellee. I'm in Alabama and nothing comes here either. We have few book signings now and then, but that's about it. And it's usually local authors I've never heard of (no offense to them, I just don't know them or their books).

I have traveled to Atlanta a few times for events, but the price of gas makes it tough..."

I think we in the south just aren't visited as much.

I have some great authors that live here in FL and I've been lucky to see them multiple times (Rick Yancey, Carl Hiaasen) and Neal Shusterman is always kind and visits us when he goes on tour, but most others either don't even come to FL or go to Miami which is 4.5 hours away and it is hard to travel that far.

message 7: by Gale (last edited Mar 06, 2011 12:24PM) (new)

Gale Minchew (galeminchew) vicki_girl wrote: "I feel the same way Kellee. I'm in Alabama and nothing comes here either. We have few book signings now and then, but that's about it. And it's usually local authors I've never heard of (no offe..."

I'm not sure how far away you are from Montgomery but the Alabama Book Festival is 4/16. There will be guest speakers, author signings, book sales, and more. I have applied for the exhibitor's area to advertise and sign my debut novel, Shadows of Destiny. I'm looking forward to it! Maybe, if it's close enough, you can come check it out. I believe the link is http://www.alabamabookfestival.org.
~Gale

message 8: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments Thanks for the info Gale. I'll have to try to make that one!

message 9: by Cassie (new)

Cassie I'm not sure we get a lot here in Missouri, at least not in the Southwest.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Can't wait for BEA in May - anyone going to that?

message 11: by Gale (new)

Gale Minchew (galeminchew) I will be exhibiting at the Houston Indie Book Festival in Houston, Texas on April 2nd. It will be my first book festival, and I am really looking forward to all the people I will meet there. I will have hardcover copies of my book for sale and will be on hand for book signing! In celebration of this exciting opportunity, I have reduced the price of my Kindle version of Shadows of Destiny to $2.99 (US) for the next week! I would love to meet any of my fellow Goodreads memers who live in the Houston area, so stop by and say hello! The link to Shadows of Destiny Kindle version on Amazon is http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004PLN...

~Gale

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 44 comments I just went to the Brooklyn Book Festival! It was amazing. Saw Gayle Forman (!!!!) and she was fabulous. And saw Libba Bray again (met her at BEA) and she remembered me so I almost peed my pants! :P

Anybody have any plans for book festivals or just local signings coming up?

I know the Austin Book Fest is happening soon and also in November the YALL lit fest in South Carolina...which I might roadtrip from PA to SC for!

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie (readermeetsbook) | 4 comments For all those San Francisco/Bay Area folks or anyone else that might be able to make it,

On Monday, October 10th at Books Inc. Opera Plaza authors Simone Elkeles, Michelle Hodkin, Moira Young, and Becca Fitzpatrick with be reading and signing books starting at 7pm.

Event is free to all.

The address for the bookstore is 601 Van Ness between Turk & Golden Gate.

Hope to see you there!