Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What Songs/Albums Would Make For a Good Film?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I was watching The Promise documentary the other night, about Springsteen making Darkness on the Edge of Town (which, for my money, is his best album), and both Bruce and Jimmy Iovine talked about the cinematic feel of his songs and songwriting. It got me thinking more about what songs of his would make for a good film, or at least one I'd watch. I think I'd like to see Atlantic City be made into a film; it's dark and gritty, seemingly perfect for the IFC/Sundance crowd, and possibly a hit at the Toronto Film Festival.

Anyway, we've seen some songs or albums adapted for the screen, some good, some truly awful. Which songs or albums would you like to see on film?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments On a similar note, I have a whole book of short stories based on the song "Meeting Across the River" - and I agree that Atlantic City would make a good film too.

Um...Ziggy Stardust? I mean, I know there is a movie, but it's a concert movie, so that doesn't count.

Richard Shindell's songs are really cinematic: I'd watch a film based on Arrowhead or Fishing or Money for Floods.

message 3: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm thinking Roland, the Headless Thompson Gunner, Warren Zevon's ode to a mercenary, would also make a fine flick, something akin to a Sam Peckinpah film - full of slo-mo gunfights, and mayhem galore.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Would each of these make a good film, or a good movie?

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Both.

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments almost any flaming lips album or song, except for christmas on mars, which is a film, but i don't like it.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A lot of the Hold Steady songs are natural stories...

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I always thought "Henry's Dream" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds would make a fine book or movie. It has both post-apocalyptic and Southern Gothic vibes.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Explain why, Clark. I mean, I know why, but others may not be so aware; just curious on your take.

Oh, and Tadpole's correct; I think most Nick Cave songs would make for good films.

message 11: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Gus wrote: "Explain why, Clark. I mean, I know why, but others may not be so aware; just curious on your take.

Oh, and Tadpole's correct; I think most Nick Cave songs would make for good films."

It's a mixture of Billy's quaint, Kinksian takes on love and marriage in Thatcher-era Britain, the former one-man Clash mixing barbwire with banana pudding and, most likely, seventeen beers and eight shots of Jameson’s down the pub.

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Not Ziggy Stardust but Ziggy & the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie might be good or Crime &the City by Neil Young &Crazy Horse.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Barb wrote: "I'm gonna shock everyone and go with a Leonard Cohen song ... I think Famous Blue Raincoat would work. There's definitely a story there."

Oh, good choice. In my writing OAC (terminology only inserted for Barb's benefit) we had to base a short story on Famous Blue Raincoat, and another on Tom Waits' "On the Nickel."
For a more obscure choice, I'd go for Michael Penn's Coal.

message 14: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Agreed on your choice, Barb.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Barb wrote: "Ha Ha! I never did my OAC's, because I knew in order to complete them I'd have to actually pass an advanced mathematics class like calc or trig or finite ... ya riiiiight, this is the girl who fai..."

I was going for calc, but got in a fight with the teacher, dropped it, and took finite instead, where we just had to make posters of poker odds. I think my knowledge of poker odds has come in handy more than calculus would have.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Thought of more:
The Band -- The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down
Neil Young - Powderfinger, After the Goldrush, Down By the River

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments how about space oddity? I think I got the name right. it's a david bowie song.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Michele wrote: "how about space oddity? I think I got the name right. it's a david bowie song."

Good one.

Also a lot of Suzanne Vega songs.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments How about "desolation row" by Bob Dylan?

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments How about Aqualung by Jethro Tull? I'm really going to have to start listending to top 40 stations to catch up on what bands/singers are current...I keep dating myself with my suggestions.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You're fine, Michele.

Do you still remember December's foggy freeze?
When the ice that clings onto your beard
was screaming agony.
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
with deep sea diver sounds,
and the flowers bloom like
madness in the spring.

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments How about that song by eminem & rihanna? of course, then it could by my life story.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well done with the current reference. Of course, now I have no idea what you're talking about :)

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Well done with the current reference. Of course, now I have no idea what you're talking about :)"

I heard the song while watching the MTV awards with my brother in law.

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Nov 20, 2010 08:22PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "You're fine, Michele.

Do you still remember December's foggy freeze?
When the ice that clings onto your beard
was screaming agony.
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
with deep sea diver so..."

Oh Christ... Not Jethro Dull and that fucking flute.

message 26: by ms.petra (last edited Nov 20, 2010 08:25PM) (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) yes, JT and the f'in flute!

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Ian Anderson should be drawn and quartered not only for the band's entire catalog, but for inspiring renaissance festivals.

message 28: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Clark, JT was my first concert...

message 29: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments You have my sympathy.

message 30: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) well, I was only 16. I have improved!

message 31: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments ms.petra wrote: "well, I was only 16. I have improved!"

Like I have any room to talk. I saw John Denver in 1973.

message 32: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) rocky mountain high!

message 33: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments In Colorado.

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Clark wrote: "Ian Anderson should be drawn and quartered not only for the band's entire catalog, but for inspiring renaissance festivals."

I take it you did not like "Songs from the Wood".

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I think Harry Chapin's "Cat in the Cradle" might make a good movie ..

message 36: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Michele wrote: "Clark wrote: "Ian Anderson should be drawn and quartered not only for the band's entire catalog, but for inspiring renaissance festivals."

I take it you did not like "Songs from the Wood"."

"Get ready for the whistler
I whistle along on the seventh day"

Whistle on this, Ian.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.