College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I'm one of those people who loves to pay it forward when it comes to books. Whether it's passing along my fav books to friends in hopes that they'll love them as much as I did, or forwarding coupons I get in my email, I enjoy sharing the wealth. That being said, I thought that it'd be cool to start a thread where we list free (or free at the moment) e-books that others may enjoy.

I have a kindle, and I know that Amazon often has free e-books that are constantly updated. While some of them are... questionable, there are some gems among the sludge pile.

First freebie that I would like to pass along is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I've heard so many great things about this book and when I saw that it was currently going for $0 on Amazon, I quickly downloaded it!

I know there are other sites that also list free books, so if anyone has any site suggestions or books that are going for the price of nada, feel free to share them here!

Enjoy & pay it forward! :)

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Any nook owners know if Kindle books can be put on the nook? I can't remember...

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Kimberly, I don't think so, but if you find out otherwise, I would love to know.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments B&N has Outlander for free right now. Go here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Outl...

They have a bunch of free ebooks here. Be careful thought because a lot of the more popular ones you really only get a sample chapter of the book. Like Pride and Predjudice Zombies is listed as a free ebook but you only get Chapter 2.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments This week B&N has Grimm's Fairy Tales for free! http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Grim...

Every Friday through Christmas Eve they're going to have a free holiday classic.

message 6: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Ooh! Lucky! I just checked on Amazon for Kindle & it's currently going for $0.99. Even though it's not free, I still think it's a good enough price to tempt me to buy it! :)

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments 99 cents is still a very good price! But I also found it for free at Project Gutenberg. I've never downloaded anything from that site but I think its pretty popular.

message 8: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Nice! Thanks for the heads-up, Jen! Downloading it as I type this :)

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments No problem! Let me know how it is. They also have files that work with the nook.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I just downloaded it for my nook and can't wait to read it! It was the first Free Friday book I've been interested in since I got my nook last month.

message 11: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Woo! Congrats, Heather. I'd be pretty darn excited, too :)

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Thanks for posting that Jen! Just downloaded it.

message 13: by Nikki (last edited Dec 21, 2010 02:04PM) (new)

Nikki I get most of my e-books from ManyBooks. They're all 'classics', where the copyright's expired. They have some very weird old books, it's great to just browse their collection. They also have periodicals from the 19th century, which I love.

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments For today only you can download Gulliver's Travels for free from B&N: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Gull...

You just have to have a B&N account but you can also download it to your computer.

message 15: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) Anastasia wrote: "I'm one of those people who loves to pay it forward when it comes to books. Whether it's passing along my fav books to friends in hopes that they'll love them as much as I did, or forwarding coupon..."

I've read Outlander and I really enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend anyone who likes a bit of Scottish influence, time travel, adventure and a bit of romance to download the book while it's free. I have the entire series. It's nice to see a strong female character, although in some scenes she acts a little more helpless then the feminist in me would like, it's more because of shock and she soon becomes a powerful force. I'm not usually a romance novel fan, but this is more of an epic romance.

message 16: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) Jen wrote: "99 cents is still a very good price! But I also found it for free at Project Gutenberg. I've never downloaded anything from that site but I think its pretty popular."

I've used that site quite often and never had any problems with it. I highly recommend Project Gutenberg. They always have the full book and there are so many books to choose from that I have folder after folder of books on my hard drive.

message 17: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) Also - for those with an ipod or iphone there is an app called Stanza which you can get free books on. It's linked to many different ebook sites so you don't have to keep track of all of them yourself and it's really easy to use.

message 18: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (bridaigs) I recommend inkmesh.com for downloading free ebooks!