Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > Fallen/Torment by Lauren Kate

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 48 comments Thoughts on these books? I just read Fallen and really liked it. I think I liked Hush Hush better, but I totally love Daniel!

I loved their story of being star crossed lovers. Can't wait to read Torment :)

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Definitely liked Hush Hush better.

I liked Fallen but I didn't really care much for Torment. It could be that I picked up Torment right after I read Mockingjay. Torment didn't really stand a chance after that.

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci I really don't know how I feel about these books. When I read them I think to myself, "wow. this is really terrible." but when I'm done I can't help but want to know more! So I'm sure I'll be finishing this series.. but I probably won't be singing any praises. :x

message 4: by Wendy F (last edited Nov 15, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Traci, that's almost how I felt too. Like I was caught up and excited but on the other hand i was thinking about how amateurish the writing was.

message 5: by Mira (new)

Mira | 23 comments I loved fallen and torment but I have also read both hush hush and creshendo which I really liked and I have to keep in mind the audience for whom they are writing since the language may seem very simple

message 6: by Ester (new)

Ester (esterjdagudo) | 14 comments I'm still reading Torment, and i just know its going to be great, if fallen was good i think its even better.

message 7: by Ester (new)

Ester (esterjdagudo) | 14 comments Wendy wrote: "Definitely liked Hush Hush better.

I liked Fallen but I didn't really care much for Torment. It could be that I picked up Torment right after I read Mockingjay. Torment didn't really stand a c..."

you definitely have to read crescendo....

message 8: by Ester (new)

Ester (esterjdagudo) | 14 comments it has more twists than hush hush, and it would make you experience a lot of emotions while reading it. heartbreaks, sad moments, blissful ones, shattering truths,,,... but we can't compare Fallen or torment to Hush hush, they have different styles and plot,

message 9: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm going to read Cresendo soon... my friend will loan me her copy.

message 10: by Ester (new)

Ester (esterjdagudo) | 14 comments good for you, im already wondering about the next novel

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 48 comments Me too, Erynne. Crescendo ended and I was like agghhh!!! I can't stand the waiting :)

message 12: by Ester (new)

Ester (esterjdagudo) | 14 comments yeah, i had to admit i was anxious to read the next part... its just sort of -poof- end of crescendo...

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 10 comments I felt Fallen was better than Torment. I think Torment suffered from "middle chapter" syndrome and slow writing.

I enjoyed Falled better than Hush, Hush, but enjoued Hush, Hush better than Torment. But when it comes to comparing novels of different authors and of different mythologies I try not to go there, I feel it's unfair.

message 14: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I wasn't fond of Torment either.

message 15: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments I liked Fallen but not enough that I'm dying to read Torment. Not sure if I should read it or not … but since everyone else seems to be saying it was worse than Fallen, maybe I won't bother. :/

message 16: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Hmm … Well, as of now I don't think I'll read Torment. But if the third one makes up for it, let me know! :]

message 17: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Ooh, really? That's pretty cool, actually. After reading the first book I was anxious to find out more about their back-stories more than I was to find out what happened next … lol.

message 18: by Wendy F (last edited Nov 20, 2010 04:05PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I think it will touch on what happened in Torment...

**Torment Spoiler**

Remember how in the end Nora went through the Portal that they said would shoot her to her past lives. When Daniel worried about how he'd find her in all their different histories... I think that's what we're going to read, Daniel looking for Nora in all his past lives with her. It's just a guess though.

**Torment Spoiler**

message 19: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Melissa wrote: "While I liked Fallen, I absolutely loved Torment. It was so much better (in my opinion). However, I found both of them to be better than Hush Hush. If you like these books you may want to try Halo ..."

Bleh, I did not like Halo. I thought Fallen was better.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 10 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I liked Fallen but not enough that I'm dying to read Torment. Not sure if I should read it or not … but since everyone else seems to be saying it was worse than Fallen, maybe I won't bother. :/"

I believe Torment helps to set up the third book "Passion" which I feel will be a lot better. After reading Torment, you'll have a very good idea as to what Passion will be about, and if you follow like most others, you may be excited about it as well. (I can't wait for Passion!)

message 21: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Melissa wrote: "I didn't like Halo that much either, but it reminded me of Hush Hush so people who like Hush Hush might like Halo better than Fallen and Torment."

I think Hush Hush is the best of the three. Although, I haven't read Crescendo yet …

message 22: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Laura wrote: "I believe Torment helps to set up the third book "Passion" which I feel will be a lot better. After reading Torment, you'll have a very good idea as to what Passion will be about, and if you follow like most others, you may be excited about it as well. (I can't wait for Passion!)"

Hmm, okay. I might check it out after all. We'll see. :)

message 23: by Wendy F (last edited Nov 21, 2010 11:48AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I did mean Luce, lol. The two characters are almost interchangeable to me, though. I like YA Fantasy books but to me their main female characters can feel 'cookie-cutter' at times.

I haven't read Halo and I'm not planning on reading it. I've only heard bad things about it.

I read Fallen and Torment, I also read Hush Hush and Crescendo. I thought Fallen was okay but Torment was torturous for me to get through. (This could have been because I liked Cameron and Arriane and they were barely in it.) I liked Hush Hush more then Fallen. And as far as Crescendo, I thought it was as good as the first, not better not worse, which still puts that series over Fallen. (As I said before, this may have been because I like Patch.)

To be honest, I'm not jumping up and down over any of them. I think there are much better YA Fantasy books. (Finnikin of the Rock, Mortal Instruments, Gone...)

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Agreed. Both series are decent but not worth obsessing over, in my opinion. There are waaay better YA fantasy books/series. I'm not really into the whole "fallen angel" thing … 

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 7 comments ehhh I did not like Fallen at all. I can say that Cam and Roland are delicious, though, I want a story just about them! but over all I can't get into the book... if any of you want I'm giving them away on my blog (Fallen and Torment)http://loonyreads.blogspot.com/2010/1...

message 26: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Samantha wrote: "ehhh I did not like Fallen at all. I can say that Cam and Roland are delicious, though, I want a story just about them! but over all I can't get into the book... if any of you want I'm giving them..."

I agree, Cam and Roland were awesome... so was Arriane.

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 7 comments Arriane was cool too.. the book had good characters.. just not the leads o.O

message 28: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariiyan) | 11 comments I fell in love with this series, can't wait for the next installment! I find Arianne and Roland awesome :)

message 29: by Toni (new)

Toni | 27 comments I really liked Fallen. I just finished it last night. I orderd Torment from the library.

Stephanie (Bookfever) (bookfever) Love this series!