FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > Behavior Patterns and Food

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony This started to come up in another thread but I thought I'd expand on it a bit here...

What food-related behavioral patterns hurt/help you?

Here are a few of mine:

1. I eat when I'm stressed out.
2. I eat when I'm bored.
3. I eat when I think I deserve a reward.

I'm trying to break all three, but I've learned to never underestimate the power of habit. I've always worked out some, but food is what's hurt my efforts. I'm thirty-seven days into a pretty intensive self-imposed program that is slowly becoming habit. What about other people? What do you think?

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) I know for me:
1. My portions are huge
2. I eat way too quickly, I don't have time to let me body know I am full
3. I have a sendentary job

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ditto all of the above.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) More often than not, I eat when I'm bored.

The same used to apply when I smoked.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
I just composed a comment and my stupid ass computer deleted it. UGH! I hate that. And of course I don't feel like re-writing the whole thing, so here's a summary:

Habit--YES!!!!!!! And how. I am such a creature of habit. And I think it's natural--other animals develop habits, too. Do any of you have pets? They get in routines just like the rest of us. I think it's biology!

So, the trick is to break the bad habits and start good ones. Yes, RA, good going on thirty-seven days!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I had a shitty night tonight so all I want to do is drink and eat ice cream.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I hear you Sarah. And my middle son woke me up at 3AM with a nightmare...and now I'm up...and apparently the human body reacts to a lack of sleep by getting hungry. Anyone else ever read that?

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I don't eat at night... never really had the urge... I usually don't want to eat until around 11am. This is my problem. I should have breakfast because I tend to eat healthier at breakfast, but I can't get myself to do it (except the coffee)

I also eat if I'm watching TV. So, I've cut that back big time. It helps that my 3 yr old can't sleep lately so we put on The Goodnight Show so he can stare at his crush.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Oh, I have heard that, RA! That the body is sleepy but it processes "I'm sleepy" the same way it processes "I'm hungry." We need a scientist in here... HEY, ANYONE OUT THERE A SCIENTIST??????? Anyway, because of that, I've started to try to drink lots and lots at night (or when I'm up late--yep it's after 3am right now, in fact) in order to fake myself into feeling full. The catch is that I have to constantly tell myself, "Amanda, you're drinking that because you're not really hungry, dumbass!" It works pretty well! :)

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori I drink at night because I forget during the day, but then I'm peeing constantly. I loooove late night snacks. Interesting it's a body trick. Knowing stuff like that is very helpful in combating it.

Kim, I am most definitely NOT a breakfast eater. Unfortunately Jake isn't either, and I feel so hypocritical telling him "breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

The old do as I say, not as I do.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Jake is Lori's son (right?)

(I want everyone to feel like they know who and what we're talking about here. Sorry for the aside...)

message 12: by Amanda (last edited Jul 23, 2008 01:22AM) (new)

It's the proteins in breakfast that are supposed to be good for you, right? (wish I could remember where I'd heard that) I used to eat a handful of almonds on my way to work instead of a "real" breakfast. Yummy! And I did lose weight then. But of course, I got out of that habit...

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) A handful of almonds is also supposed to be good at combating hunger attacks and cravings.

Yeah, at WW you're taught to have some protein and some calcium for breakfast. It's supposed to help you all through the day. I have noticed that when I have protein for breakfast I don't eat as much junk throughout the day. When I was doing really well on WW I would have a Pria bar for breakfast with my coffee. Good protein, low calories, high calcium, and only 2 points. Problem is they're so dang expensive.

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, seriously, I've tried that nut trick. And a handful of almonds is NOT that many almonds. And if you have more than ONE handful, you defeat the purpose (as too many nuts is bad for you because of all the fat).

message 15: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I read in Health magazine that (for women) if you eat a pear 3x a day, that it will help you lose weight. They suggested that you eat one inbetween meals. I've found that they do tend to be quite filling and that I wasn't as hungry for lunch and dinner.

I would think that an apple would have the same effect, if pears aren't your thing.

message 16: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I've also read that we tend to think we're hungry when we're really thirsty. I think Americans are chronically dehydrated or something because we tend not to drink what we should (not necessarily 8 glasses of water, but definitely less than what we need).

So next time you're hungry, try a glass of water (or milk or juice) instead. It might distract you from putting something else in your mouth.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

hee hee! Meghan said "putting something else in your mouth." You know I had to go there!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh ew. I know Meghan's husband. I do NOT want to picture her putting something else in her mouth, thankyouverymuch.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Meghan, I too am quite sure that Americans are dehydrated. The less you drink the less you feel like you need to so it's easy for me to slide into that after just a few days of not drinking enough. Plus, we drink so many caffeinated drinks, and caffeine is a major diuretic. So everyone, drink something other than soda or lattes when you are thirsty!

Yes, Jake is my son, sorry everyone!

shellyindallas Back to behavior and food, last year I started having bad panic attacks. I was convinced what was happening to me was sugar-induced and saw a dietitian to find out how I could kick the sugar habit. After talking to her, she expressed that she felt I was an "emotional eater," and suggested I speak w/ a therapist. I did. Anyway, there are lots of books out there on how to overcome emotional eating. I didn't really think of myself as an emotional eater, but once I thought about it it made sense. The therapist urged me to read up and learn how to listen to my body and only eat when and what it tells me to and to shut out the other voices. It's all v. Oprah, but I think there's something to it. I'd love to only eat when I'm hungry and only eat what my body is really hungry for...

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Shelly, did you read any books in particular that you thought did a bang up job?

message 22: by Tera (new)

Tera My worst eating habit is I eat too fast. I am always in a rush. Eating time seems like a waste when I could be doing something else. Also, I eat poorly because I have 3 kids and inevitably someone doesnt finish their fries. It is my motherly duty to finish them up because as my mother said there are children starving in China that would kill for that fry, or nugget, or left over half a shake.
I dont drink or smoke or do sodas or coffee or teas and I don't even care for candy or chocolate, but I am a total lush for carbohyrdrates. Give me some delicious crusty Italian bread and I am in heaven. A box of crackers and some good cheese and I helpless. Fresh rolls hot slathered with butter and I'm shaking like a crack whore waiting on a fix.
My name's Tera and I'm a Carbohydrateaholic.

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) *(((Hugs Tera)))

It's all good, Tera... it's all good.

" Fresh rolls hot slathered with butter and I'm shaking like a crack whore waiting on a fix."

*snickers, knows the feeling*

All Good.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Tera, have you tried the Carb Addict's diet?

Disclaimer: it didn't work for me. I'm a carb addict too.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh, carbs. Let's hear it for carbs! Baguettes and butter are orgasmic. And oh! There is NOTHING like a baked potato cooked in tin foil on top of charcoal. So the skin gets thick and creamy, and the inside is soft, slathered with both butter AND sour cream! *shivers in ecstasy*

I always go for the carbs when I'm depressed.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I slipped a little and ate some pizza tonight but I'm mentally framing it as I needed a break and I'm not on a total backslide. I'm still fifteen pounds down...I can pick it up from here:)

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori You know, if you don't overdo it, pizza is actually an excellent and healthy meal.

Sometimes I push all the cheese and stuff up to the outer crusty edge and just eat that part. Used to drive my husband crazy, but now he does that too! I'll also pry out most of the dough from bagels and baguettes and just eat the crust which is my favorite part anyway. I do slather the butter on, thought. And the end pieces of loaves of bread? Oh yeah.

message 28: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) My addiction is pasta. Anything on pasta is more than heaven on earth. Just thinking about it my mouth is watering.

message 29: by Meghan (new)

Meghan You know, someone needs to shoot Atkins for starting that anti-carb craze. They did a study and gave people ONLY carbs (no protein) and guess what? People lost MORE weight than those on the no-carb diet. You need both carbs and protein, but it's a matter of figuring out how much is right for your body.

(I say this because I'm a carb-aholic myself, heh.)

message 30: by Meghan (new)

Meghan And speaking of pasta, Barilla makes this "Barilla-plus" pasta that a lot of nutritionists are recommending. I don't know why it makes it better for you but I know that it tastes good.

message 31: by Thressa (new)

Thressa Pasta... mmmmm... I LOVE pasta! Especially when covered in cheese...

I like the wheat pasta, when I cook it. I have never heard of Barilla. I will keep a look out for it... anything that will make it healthier...

message 32: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh god......I'm STARVING now!!! LOOOOOOOOVE pasta.............

I eat when I'm bored....when I read (seriously)......and when I'm PMSing I crave alcohol. Does anyone else do this too?

message 33: by Amanda (new)

I always have a week in my cycle where I'm hardly ever hungry, follwed by a week (or so) where I'm STARVING all day every day! stupid hormones

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh yeah, when I PMS I eat constantly. It's awful. And I want salt, fat, and sugar.

message 35: by Holli (new)

Holli Yeah....why is it we only get one damn skinny good week and the other 3 are hell??? WTF is up with that crap?

And I'm sorry.....but men PMS one week out of the month. They do. they need to accept that and move on because there is always that one week where they are just fantastically ridiculous in their moods. So leave it to men to have it the easy way....3 weeks good and 1 week bad!!

message 36: by Trudy (last edited Jul 29, 2008 07:51AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LMAO Tera...

I too am a Carbohydrateaholic!!!

As far as patterns go, I don't know that I have any other than I just like food and don't implement any self-control. I eat like I did when I was in college but I certainly don't burn it off like I did back then. I get frustrated that I need to lose weight and bitter that I have to actually think about it unlike others.

I wish I was one of those people that lost their appetite when they were stressed - I would be a toothpick because I am always neurotic about something.

message 37: by Meghan (last edited Aug 10, 2008 09:37PM) (new)

Meghan Is it bad that when I saw a live turkey in my neighborhood (yeah, I don't know WHERE that thing came from...he was obviously lost) that I immediately thought of Thanksgiving dinner? And then my second thought was "oh he's too young. He's not fat enough"? But I thought he'd look tasty next to a steaming pile of mashed potatoes and gravy.

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Bad? Debatable.
Funny? ABSOLUTELY!

message 39: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) damn Meghan, why did you have to go and do that???

message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) Well Meghan don't worry, when the turkey saw you licking your lips he ran for the hills. And, unfortunately he told his family about you!

message 41: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) OMG Meghan... I did the same thing recently - the only difference was I saw two adults (presumably mom and dad) and thought of Thansgiving and then saw three babies and felt hella guilty...

message 42: by Amanda (new)

The pattern is here again. I'm depressed. So I'm trying to fill my sadness with food. Yeah, it's totally awesome.

I just stopped myself from ordering Dominoes. I would have ordered 3 pizzas (because that's the way you get the cheap $5 deal), and I would have eaten one of them all by myself, in one sitting.

I opted for peanut butter and jelly on toast. I am chewing each bite fully. And I'm coming here to talk to you all, so I don't sit around my myself just getting sadder.

I'm pissed that my physical health is a reflection of my mental health.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Why are you depressed? Is depression something you struggle with often? Maybe you should go talk to someone.

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Why? Probably a lot of reasons.
Ofetn? No.
I'm willing to bet that most people suffer periods of depression. It's not horrible. St. Johns Wort helps. I agree that I should probably be talking to someone.

But back to the food thing: I didn't order the pizza! Woo hoo!

message 45: by Sarah (last edited Aug 29, 2008 01:03PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hmm, I think probably most people go through a funk or get the blues (and now this sounds like a music conversation) but I think depression is different and more serious. And should be treated.

But good job on not getting the pizza!! When I've got the blues I go for Jack in the Box tacos or curly fries.

message 46: by Amanda (new)

You know, I've never been to a Jack in the Box? We don't have them here.

And this veers me off to yet another topic: Becoming vegetarian has helped me not splurge for tacos and cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets! I know it's horrible, but I used to love me some McDonalds nuggets or a Quarter Pounder. And then when the double cheeseburger went on the $1 menu... But now I don't even do fast food because I can't be arsed to stand in a line for fries only. Seems like a waste.

Life's paths are weird.

message 47: by Holli (new)

Holli Good job on eating the PB&J......Domino's is crap anyways Mands. You saved yourself a stomachache later. How can you eat that pizza...it creeps me out!! Now give me a big ol bowl of pasta and that will get rid of my Friday blues. ;)

When I'm depressed I sulk and stare at the TV. I eat when I'm bored. Which I think is worse especially when you sit at home all day like I do!!!

So are you full now Amanda? eat a 100 calorie snack pack..shit eat two.....get the Keebler ones. They make those really good fudge cookies itty bitty now and stuff them in those bags for you. Love em!

message 48: by Amanda (new)

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/w...

This article arrived in my email this morning. How apropos.

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) I see a lot of these habits in myself as well. I'm ravenous one week out of every month (how obnoxious), I tend to eat more at work than at home just because I'm looking for a distraction, and I definitely eat more when I'm bored.

My WW leader is big on having us not say things like "I'm an emotional eater" because it gives us permission to use that almost as an excuse or self-fulfilling prophecy. Instead, we say like, "I was stressed out/sad/happy/whatever, and I chose to cope with food." Just like if you have a bad day at work and then you snap at someone, you don't say "I'm an angry person." You just say, "I was stressed out at work and snapped at someone." I know it seems subtle, but I have found that it helps.

Also, I definitely agree that eating breakfast is key. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but then I started doing it and really started losing more quickly. Now I have to eat breakfast or I'm just cranky. I'm worth getting up the 10 extra minutes to have some cereal! Another big thing my WW leader says is that it's important to switch "can't" with "choose not to." So instead of "I can't get up early enough for breakfast" say to yourself, "I choose not to." Just realize that it's a choice you're making, it's ok to make that choice, but it is a choice. :)

message 50: by Holli (new)

Holli Those are some really good words of wisdom Emily....you are so cool :) That "choose not to" instead of "I can't" philosophy can apply to more than just food in life huh? I really like that.........

Does eating breakfast really work? I feel like when I eat 3 meals a day I gain weight.....so instead I drink coffee for breakfast and then eat lunch and then eat a small sized dinner.

« previous 1