Old Norse Literature discussion

Monthly group read?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 11 comments I've been dusting off my boxes of Scandinavian books lately and thought it would be fun to have some people reading the same book at the same time. Would anyone like to read Egil's Saga for November? We still have a couple of weeks! :)

message 2: by Todd (new)

Todd | 1 comments I'm game, It's an interesting tale.

message 3: by Abi (new)

Abi | 12 comments Yeah, for sure.

message 4: by Christian (new)

Christian (axehandle) | 1 comments It's a great saga... Let's see if I can squeeze in a re-read before the month's end.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 11 comments I hope you don't mind--I've put Egil's Saga on the "currently reading" bookshelf for the group with a November 30th end date.

message 6: by Carl (new)

Carl | 19 comments Mod
I've taught that one a few times-- I love it, and find it very unique among the Icelandic family sagas. I don't get on Goodreads very often, but we could try starting a discussion about the book, if people wanted.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 11 comments Maybe it would be a good idea to extend the "read by" date, if more people would like to participate. What do you think? In the meantime, I've got a question about Thorolf Kveldulfsson's last words on page 59 in my edition. "I'm three paces short." Does he mean he was too late to save Thorgils Gjallandi, or that he intended to kill the king as well as the standard-bearer, or does he mean something else?

message 8: by CharliReads (new)

CharliReads | 2 comments What happened to this plan?!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 11 comments It must have been a busy month--I think I was the only one who read it that time. :) I'd be game for another try, if someone wants to suggest a book.

message 10: by CharliReads (new)

CharliReads | 2 comments Rachel wrote: "It must have been a busy month--I think I was the only one who read it that time. :) I'd be game for another try, if someone wants to suggest a book."

I'm new to this genre but I would like to read along :-)

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 21, 2011 10:37PM) (new)

I've read it before, and I can discuss it from what passes for my memory. Egil was indeed a very prolific figure. I wouldn't want him living next door to me, but it would be interesting to meet him face to face. And from what was written about him, what an unusual face he had. Guess it was the Paget's disease he supposedly carried. Just in case any of you haven't seen it, this is supposedly what is skull may have looked like.

http://www.viking.ucla.edu/Scientific...

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 11 comments Thanks, Craig! Great article by Jesse Byock. I'd never heard of Paget's disease before, or the possibility that Egil might have it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome, Rachael. It's often interesting to see how ancient and medieval writings refer to people and possibly suggest modern day pathologies as reasons for behavior and character in those references.

message 14: by Evy (new)

Evy | 8 comments I would be interested in a monthly read if that is still a possibility. I would also be interested in a small group if one or two people want to get it started.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I think we should do this!! I would love to help run this or support this!

message 16: by Neil (new)

Neil | 22 comments Lyn wrote: "I think we should do this!! I would love to help run this or support this!"

I'm up for a read of egils saga

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I think we should add this to read for April - everyone agree?

message 18: by Neil (new)

Neil | 22 comments Lyn wrote: "I think we should add this to read for April - everyone agree?"

DO it. I've not read that saga for years and have forgotten most of it

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Great!

message 20: by Neil (new)

Neil | 22 comments Lyn wrote: "Great!"

Invite me to the thing you set it up on please. I've only been on the site a few month and can't find my way round, thanks

message 21: by Evy (new)

Evy | 8 comments Sounds good to me :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

For the following months, does anyone want to suggest some other books?

message 23: by Neil (new)

Neil | 22 comments Volsunga saga?

message 24: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 1 comments deleted user wrote: "I've read it before, and I can discuss it from what passes for my memory. Egil was indeed a very prolific figure. I wouldn't want him living next door to me, but it would be interesting to meet him..."

Jesse Byock's books are excellent additional reading for anyone reading the sagas... I've read two of his books and found them both very insightful into the workings of the Icelandic Commonwealth.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Jacob wrote: "deleted user wrote: "I've read it before, and I can discuss it from what passes for my memory. Egil was indeed a very prolific figure. I wouldn't want him living next door to me, but it would be in..."

Would we like to read that in May?