FATTIES UNITE! discussion

SUCCESSES! > Non-Scale Victories

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jul 21, 2008 10:03AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) In WW we have this thing called NSV or Non-Scale Victories. That's when you have a little success other than the scale going down. It can be things like not eating the doughnuts your coworker brought to work, or finding out that your fat pants don't fit anymore, or you didn't skip the gym even though you really wanted to, or someone giving you a really nice compliment. I think it's important to celebrate these kinds of victories, since that's what is really important, and not just the number on the scale.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
good call!

A "nelly homo" told me he liked my boobs. That was awesome.

Granted, that has nothing to do with weight or health, but it DOES have something to do with self-confidence, which is waaaaaay more important anyway.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Jul 21, 2008 03:18PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Had a sesame chicken salad for lunch today, and didn't get the apple turnover for dessert even though it was practically screaming my name. Go me!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

It was screaming your name. I heard it! Way to tell it to STFU!

message 5: by Amanda (new)

My old job called to ask if I'd do some contract work for them. I said sure. So they emailed me with the rate they were offering to pay. Can I tell you I was BUMMED! The money was hardly more than what I was making when I was full time! So, I sucked it up and countered (via email) with a MUCH higher rate and they accepted!!!!!!! Oh, I feel so very proud of myself!

Ask and you shall receive! Now, to wait for HR to approve the rate...

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yippee!

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I drank water today instead of my normal diet pepsi! I'm dragging ass, but I'm liquifying!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) *raises arms limply, head still on desk

woo

At some point the natural stuff that does what caffeine does will kick in right? RIGHT?

message 10: by Thressa (new)

Thressa That's what I heard... I don't know from experience. I have tried to kick the caffeine habit - and did for a short time.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Wait. What in goddamn hell is wrong with diet pepsi/coke? I've been drinking more of it instead of eating. Am I fucking up? If I tried to give up caffeine AND lose weight at the same time I'd be setting myself up for a problem.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Pick your poison, man. If the diet coke is working, then stick with it. It's the dyes and fake sweeteners that are bad for you (which I'm sure you've heard a zillion times before). But it's a process! If it stops you from eating, then so be it. Besides, everything is bad for you, it seems. You can choose to give up the coke later if you want. No stress!

No way in hell am I giving up caffeine. NO!

message 13: by shellyindallas (last edited Jul 23, 2008 07:43PM) (new)

shellyindallas Well, from what I've heard RA when you drink so much (don't know how much) of the diet soda, your body starts to recognize the fake sugar as real sugar and treat it as such. So your negating any benefit associated w/ diet soda.
I also heard that people feel tired b/c they're dehydrated, and they're dehydrated b/c they drink too much soda. I've tried kicking my soda habit too many times to count. I've managed to cut it down to one a day and drink as much water as I possible can.
I'm gonna try and quit soda again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

EDIT: WAY TO GO RANDY!!!!

message 14: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 23, 2008 07:45PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Stop harshing my buzz, Shelly! Goddamn it, don't make me retaliate by talking about the negatives of beer. I'm warning you.:)

I know it's bad for you. Michelle's said the same thing. Maybe next spring I'll give up the diet soda.

I think I said in the other thread that I drink a lot of tea. But what you're saying makes sense. I drink a diet coke on the way to work then immediately drink iced tea. Yes, I know...stupid of me.

Good luck tomorrow, Shelly...please, god, let us know what works with kicking diet soda.

shellyindallas A friend at work says she's quitting smoking tomorrow, so I figure...And, I heard (yeah, we've all "heard" a lot of things) that 95% of the ppl who quit smoking successfully do so cold turkey. I don't smoke, but I figure it's probably the same w/ a bad soda habit. No gum, no patch...just gotta let it go.
Maybe making a public commitment will help. That's one major benefit of this group. People around to hold you accountable and support you when you need it.
We'll see. Sugar is my heroin. I need rehab.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Hmm... See, this is why we need a scientist around! As you say this "too tired" stuff, I'm beginning to wonder--when I would go out to eat, I'd drink maybe one (southern sweet) iced tea, but as soon as I switched to diet sodas in restaurants, I was able to drink 3 or 4 sodas in one sitting! I was always so freakin' thirsty at mealtimes. This explains it!!!! DAMN (again)!!!!

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Crosspost.

I wish they made a sugar patch. Hahahahahaha that would be so funny!

message 18: by Stephanie (last edited Jul 24, 2008 07:31AM) (new)

Stephanie (casablancalily) I appreciate the idea of this forum and I'd like to share just a few minor victories...1) I've REALLY cut back on the cokes. I went without for 3 months over the winter holidays, but substituted food so the results weren't everything I expected. But I'm headed towards eliminating my desire for them completely. 2) My husband and I have started cooking full meals at home and they always include 2 different colored vegetables. 3) I've started eating breakfast. Granted, it's not always the best choice of food, but I see where it's made me less starved at lunchtime and so therefore I don't overdo later in the day. Just a few victories for now! :)

message 19: by Amanda (new)

I think those are major victories, Stephanie, not minor ones! Awesome! For me, cooking at home is the worst. I freakin' hate it. But eating out is like a frat party for calories. They're all up in your biz asking you to do keg stands and hit the bong. Stupid caloroies, always vying for attention...

message 20: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) I biked 5 miles yesterday :)

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) GOOD JOB y'all!!

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (casablancalily) I didn't order fries with my chicken sandwich today for lunch. Sometimes when I wear my clothes a little snug, it's a constant reminder to eat a bit healthier. And this weekend I'm taking some time in Hot Springs AR so I should be nice and relaxed when I get back. Healthy habit for the soul...

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Good job, Stephanie. Fries are one of my weaknesses.

message 24: by Thressa (new)

Thressa I have tried, and succeeded a few times, to switch at least some of my diet coke to water. I will drink one diet coke in the morning with breakfast (makes me fill up quicker) then I TRY to drink water the rest of the day. If I get at least 6 cups, I will allow myself another drink later. That is the plan, but it doesn't always work...

message 25: by Meghan (last edited Jul 26, 2008 02:02PM) (new)

Meghan When I was on the South Beach diet, I wasn't allowed to have sugars for those first two weeks. What I found was the flavored waters (you really have to check because some do) don't have sugar in them, and a lot don't have calories. I liked the grape flavor because it tastes just like grape soda. But my favorite was the black cherry.

So for those who find it hard to give up your sodas for water because water has no taste, you may want to check the flavored kind. Target brand, if I remember correctly, shouldn't have any sugars or calories.

message 26: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 27, 2008 10:57AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Watch out for HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! It's literally in EVERYTHING (inlcuding drinks) now as a preservative! READ ingriedients and if it's in there, find something else! Many products are putting out "Now with no High Fructose Corn Syrup" versions of their stuff, so check out the alternatives! HFCS is banned in Europe from being used as a preservative and I wish they'd do it here in the US too instead of worrying about other, less fattening bs!

(HFCS is just as bad as the artificial sweeteners w/respect to your body converting it to sugar, etc).

message 27: by Holli (new)

Holli NO WAY IN HELL I'm giving up my Diet Cokes!! That's the only vice I'm allowed anymore.....although my cardiologist would shake his head and sigh at me as he is wont to do when I tell him what I've been up to. But they are A-ok with my endocrinologist so I say they cancel each other out and its ok for me to have them!! LOL

message 28: by Amanda (new)

hee hee! Way to play one doctor against another Holli! You must have been a fun teenager! :)

High Fructose Corn Syrup is HORRIBLE! It's in keilbasa, people! ???? What the hell? Why would they do that?

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Okay, I read that as "way to play doctor" and was really confused for a second.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

haha
naughty

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori Fructose, glucose, corn syrup. Once you start reading labels you will be disgusted. It is everywhere. Even vitamins. I always forgave fructose, I had heard it was better than glucose and corn syrup, I thought it was a simpler sugar. In that it breaks down and burns off fast.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Once you start reading labels you will be disgusted.

You're totally right, Lori! There is a lot of bad stuff in our food! Chemicals everywhere! It's scary to me that the government has approved many preservatives that we really dont' know the effects of. Not the long term effects anyway. If we could go back to eating all natural food, we'd be much healthier. But that's no easy task. Preservatives taste good and they're cheap. Natural food is boring and expensive.

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori Preservatives don't add taste, do they? As for all the dyes we use, many approved by the US are BANNED in other countries! And do NOT get me started on aspartane!!

I started reading alot of nutrition stuff when I had my son, and it is very very scary.

I count it as a victory that I read labels very carefully now. And if I could convince some of you about the dangers in lots of our food, I'd count it as a huge victory as well. We are poisoning ourselves, and it makes me livid that it's allowed.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Do preservatives add taste? I don't know. I didn't mean to say it that way. But processed food is delicious! chef boy r dee. YUM! Totinos pizza. YUM! mcdonalds. YUM!

Lori, you are singing my tune! I agree with you totally!!!!!!!! It really is bad. I try to buy certified organic when I can, but it's hella expensive! I really dont' know what to do about this problem. It's a societal concern and unfortunately, even the school systems are feeding kids shitty foods. In the county where I live, schools still feed the kids french fries every day, but they fortify the fried with vitamins. WHAT? Ok, thanks for the vitamins, but seriously? Ever heard of a green bean? What the hell is wrong with serving actual food that's good for us instead of training our kids to eat french fries every damn day. STUPID!

message 35: by Thressa (new)

Thressa We can no longer have fried in our schools. There are a whole lot of other rules too, but if they add sugar to the green beans, how does that help???

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) They got rid of the fryolater at work too... and went to whole wheat everything.

I'm a soup fiend and they got rid of Tomato Cheddar, but kept Broccoli Cheese!

Today was a good day. Salad. Yum... and fruit. I'm getting there.

message 37: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I went to Cedar Point for two days and I managed to only eat the two "bad" foods I really wanted (and planned to have) -- a funnel cake and a root beer float. No fried foods, no cotton candy. I even had a salad for lunch! It felt good to not only be able to say "no" but not really even want it.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I never thought I'd say "good for you" for eating funnel cake. But, um, good for you? Heh.

The state fair starts soon. Fair food is soooooooooooo tempting.

message 39: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I had "the talk" with my mother last night... I am going home to visit, and she is coming back to stay with me for about a month... I told her I needed advanced warning if we were going out to eat so I could plan it, I wouldn't go to the Chinese buffet with her and my Aunt and aked her to please don't plan on cooking for me when she gets here...

As much as she wants me to lose weight and as many tips as she has for me, the self-proclaimed "potato with legs" will still make all the comfort foods recipes that she made when I was growing up... wasn't the love for her cooking what partially helped me get into this mess... lol

At least I warned her up front so she won't be too offended when I pass up her meals for my own.

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Good job, Trudy! Moms are the worst! (And the best, of course.) And Meghan, woo hoo!
You stuck to your plans!!! Gals, that's soooo hard, so I'm proud of you!

message 41: by Thressa (new)

Thressa Way to go Meghan and Trudy.

Meghan, I like the idea of giving myself permission to eat one or two fattening foods to help me keep on focused on my diet. Just because we are loosing weight doesn't mean we have to give up ALL the good stuff... does it???

Trudy, it is not easy saying no to mom... especially all the comfort foods...

message 42: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Thressa - I'm totally for not giving up everything. That's why I'm a big fan of Weight Watchers and similar types. I think life's too short to deny yourself the riches that this world has to offer (gastronomically).

However, if you're trying to kick start a diet off right, sometimes it's useful in the short-term. I was able to lose 30 pounds with the South Beach diet and kept it off. That diet just helped me recognize that what was effecting me most was sugar and certain kinds of carbs that were too high in sugar. Watching my intake levels of that, I've been able to keep the weight off. Not paying attention to those kinds of food and I start getting in trouble.

I never strictly followed the SB way. I did the first 2 weeks and then slowly added in foods. But after the first 2 weeks, I used more of what I learned in WW. Combining the two, for me, really helped me in keeping the 30 pounds off.

message 43: by Thressa (new)

Thressa I try not to treat myself too much, but I have been a little overindulgent lately. I have heard a lot about the South Beach and am thinking about looking into it.

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (casablancalily) I was once educated about all the healthy foods that people should be eating every day, and that list was LONG. If you made it a point to eat everything healthy that your body needed to function at its best, you'd be too full to even THINK about junk food. Too bad all the healthy stuff is pricy. Did you know that Kobyashi (the hot dog eating champ) eats 14 POUNDS of vegetables DAILY??? It stretches his stomach so that he can eat 50+ hot dogs, but he's as toned as if he were a highly trained athlete. There's something to be said for healthy foods.

message 45: by Amanda (new)

14 lbs of veggies. I'm going to have to measure that and see what it looks like. Good grief. That's crazy!

message 46: by Trudy (last edited Oct 31, 2008 08:57AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) OK - So, I don't know where we discussed the having a flabby boyfriend topic in here, but I am going to post here because this is something I consider a personal victory kind of relating to that...

An ex (of the 13 yr ago variety) just recently got in contact with me. He is interested in getting back together and is very motivated in helping me "get healthy" (I am not referring to it as "dieting" or "losing weight" anymore.)

I have to say that it is a little intimidating since he can run for 3 hours without breaking a sweat, but I am extremely motivated now since I will be picking up on his good habits... (except for the 3 hours of cardio - he's on his own there)... YAY!

message 47: by Amanda (new)

I'm envisioning a movie music-montage version of your workout with him! Can you make a video and put it on You Tube? I think it'll be quite inspirational and FUN! hahaha. Anyway, that's awesome you'll have him around. He seems like the kind of guy who knows his stuff. Very cool. And very handy for a workout buddy. :)

Ok, now for the important question:
"getting back together"
Does that mean romance??? Spill it! I'm nosy!

message 48: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LOL - love the music montage imagery...

yeah... basically he sent me an email on classmates a month ago (gotta love that). I finally saw I had a message 2 weeks ago and got in touch with him. We emailed back and forth one day, he called me that night and basically proposed site unseen (brave brave man... lol)

The whole story could be a soap opera sub-plot, but suffice it to say that by this time next year I may be gaining weight for other reasons! : )

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Wow!! That's good news! True love... sigh.

My husband is a big guy, and I never had a weight problem until I met him (not that I'm blaming him, but I do think it makes a difference). Someone else I know *ahem, she knows who she is* has a husband who is really into keeping fit and eating healthy and I think it has been really great for her. They go for walks all the time, and they cook healthier foods together, and I think he's good at helping her stay motivated.

message 50: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) How exciting. Good luck! I love happy endings.

« previous 1 3 4