Sweeping Sagas discussion

Individual Books > More Russia...

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Petersburg by Emily Hanlon

Petersburg by Emily Hanlon

This one looks good, no idea where I picked it up. Has anyone read it?

message 2: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments No, but it looks like something I would enjoy!

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
Not me, but I see it is in the library catalog (gawd they're good).

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I have it ..havent read it yet..but it looks good!

message 5: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Wow Misfit, your library has a fantastic collection!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "Wow Misfit, your library has a fantastic collection!"

She lives over in King County (Seattle-proper) where Bill Gates personally keeps every library in funds beyond belief. :P

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "Carey wrote: "Wow Misfit, your library has a fantastic collection!"

She lives over in King County (Seattle-proper) where Bill Gates personally keeps every library in funds beyond belief. :P"

Lol, seriously between Mr. Gates and his former partner Mr. Allen we are kinda lucky over here.

PS, Carey I know this is SERIOUSLY mean but enter the catalog if you dare, kcls.org

And no matter which branch in the county has it, it comes to my branch for pick up.

message 8: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments I started reading Anna by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles today after hearing Misfit talk about it a while back - the first book in the Kirov saga (I think that is what the trilogy is called anyway).

message 9: by Misfit (new)

They are good Marg and can be read out of order. There's enough gap between the books that you don't have much story cross over. I'd love some others to read Fleur, the ending of that is a bit odd and not what I expected. Jill has read these books also.

message 10: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments I've read them too...I've read all of her historical fiction. Really enjoyed the Russian trilogy but LOVE the Morland dynasty.

message 11: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Misfit wrote: "They are good Marg and can be read out of order. There's enough gap between the books that you don't have much story cross over. I'd love some others to read Fleur, the ending of that is a bit odd ..."

I don't do reading out of order! Is Fleur the second or third one?

Carey, I am up to book five or six and enjoying the Morland Dynasty books although I wasn't that keen on the Nanette and Paul storyline from the early books.

message 12: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Stick with them...they get so much better! WW I books are fantastic!

message 13: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments I really loved the one set in the Restoration.

message 14: by Misfit (new)

The Morland books scare me, there's too many of them.

Marg, the Kirov books are Anna, Fleur and Emily. Anna leads quite a life IIRC.

message 15: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments I was a bit intimidated at the beginning but I am happy to keep reading them now.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Marg wrote: "I don't do reading out of order! "

Me either. I'm just not physically capable of it.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Neither am I, I was just sayin'

Although Anna is a large chunkster it really did go very fast for me, I flew through them all rather quickly. Each one wraps up story wise, so you're not hanging on a thread waiting for the next one either.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Ditto, what Misfit said.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

BTW, part of the middle of the book takes place in the southern part of Russia in the Cacausus (sp?) mountains. The boss climbed the highest one of those (Elbrus?) last year. He's going to get me some pics so I can post for you.

Sorry about not looking up the spelling. I really really have to work today :)

message 20: by Misfit (new)

Just picked up The Gatherine Wolves by Elizabeth Darrell/Emma Drummond from the library. Put the jacket blurb on the GR page, but it appears set in the far north of Russia during White Russia's struggles with the Bolsheviks.

The Gathering Wolves by Elizabeth Darrell

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "Just picked up The Gatherine Wolves by Elizabeth Darrell/Emma Drummond from the library. Put the jacket blurb on the GR page, but it appears set in the far north of Russia during White Russia's str..."

busy day at the library, eh? :P

message 22: by Misfit (last edited Nov 18, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Yes indeed. Also picked up the first of Drummond's Knightsbridge trilogy and the Gabaldon graphic book (that is so odd at first glance).

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill Let us know what you think of 'The Exile' graphic novel.

message 24: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Have you read it Jill?

message 25: by Misfit (new)

Jill wrote: "Let us know what you think of 'The Exile' graphic novel."

Will do.

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "Have you read it Jill?"

Yes, Marg. It didn't offer up too many new insights into the Jamie and Claire saga. But it did answer one question from 'Echo' about the 'un-named' woman, if you remember that part.
The drawings didn't have me in raptures - though I'm no artist. But the guy didn't seem to do Jamie justice and Claire looked too young and almost doll-like in some drawings.
I guess if you're a big fan like me, it's worth taking a look at. But, if you don't, your life won't be any less rich by not reading it.
Love to know what you think of it Misfit.
Have you read it Marg?

message 27: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Yes. I was a bit confused by the addition of the new character because I only reread it earlier this year and I just couldn't think how I wouldn't have remembered him.

I think it is actually a book for the existing fans. I am not sure that it will bring a lot of new fans to the series.

message 28: by Jill (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "Yes. I was a bit confused by the addition of the new character because I only reread it earlier this year and I just couldn't think how I wouldn't have remembered him.

I think it is actually a b..."

<>
Yeah, I agree. However, this fan won't be rushing out to buy. Just a library loan for me.

message 29: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments I bought it. *can't help myself*

I am trying to resist buying the new anthology that is coming out that has Roger's dad's story in it.

message 30: by Misfit (new)

I just finished it off this morning. I don't care for the graphics much, and honestly most of the men seem to look alike so I had a hard time telling who was who unless he was referred to by name. Claire came across as quite ditz at times and with excessive cleavage at that. I mean, bodices can rip but why is her's always ripping?

I saw the image in the back notes of the original Claire illustration. Wish they'd kept that one :/

Glad I waited my turn at the library.

message 31: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Marg wrote: "I bought it. *can't help myself*

I am trying to resist buying the new anthology that is coming out that has Roger's dad's story in it."

Oooh, I'll be wanting that one! Do you know the title of the anthology?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "Marg wrote: "I bought it. *can't help myself*

I am trying to resist buying the new anthology that is coming out that has Roger's dad's story in it."

Oooh, I'll be wanting that one! Do you kn..."

Songs of Love & Death, Carey!

message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill Has anyone read any of the other anthologies that Diana Gabaldon has contributed to? And if so, are they related to 'Outlander'?

message 34: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Hellfire and Lord John and the Succubus were originally published in anthologies, but then they were republished in Lord John and the Hands of Devils, so I have read those.

I was a bit surprised when I looked at her website and saw that there were several more anthologies that she has contributed to.

I have read the short story in the Excalibur anthology and that is definitely Outlander related.

message 35: by Jill (new)

Jill Thanks Marg. I've read all the Lord John books but never any anthologies. I'll check out the Excalibur anthology you mentioned.

message 36: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Thank you Michele! One more for my wish list!