Amazon Kindle discussion

Books by members > Boomerang

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (last edited Dec 09, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Alan (plumboz) Hi,

Alan Hutcheson here, author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue. Readers have compared it to Coen brothers' movies, the books of Carl Hiassen and even The Big Lebowski.

I have sample chapters, and a collection of reviews from Amazon and Smashwords readers at Boomerang's Home on the Web.

http://boomerangbyalanhutcheson.blogs...

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) If I could share a couple of the recent reviews Boomerang has received. The first is from Amazon UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boomerang, 17 Nov 2010
By
Mr. W. MacPherson "Gordonmacp." (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Boomerang (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that I will struggle to finish! I assume it's just my sense of humour but at times I had tears running down my face!This has been one of the funniest books I've read! I don't know if that was the intention, but it is,to me, first class! The Head of AABC pondering about his position was just so funny! Thanks to the author,Alan Hutchison, for a great book!

And this one from Regular Ol' Amazon US.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny, November 19, 2010
By
Figwit's Folly - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I loved this book. I rarely re-read a book but I think I may have to in this case just to be sure I didn't miss a funny bit because I was pushing through it so fast. I have to admire the author's cleverness. He has so many characters all with their own part to play and all balanced like spinning plates on sticks and, just as you think he may have forgotten one, he or she pops up in the most unlikely place. All the characters are well-fleshed out and engaging from the dog next door to the chief of the CIA. I loved them all. My favourite was Doreen. What a wonderful character. I chuckle to myself even now as I think of her. A close second would have been Paul, the teen. He was great.

I hope Mr Hutcheson plans on a sequel as I would love to meet some of these characters again.

At the price it was the best bargain ever but, even if it was full-price, I would still be counting myself lucky that I stumbled on it.

Pure gold. Thank you Mr Hutcheson for the hours of sheer reading enjoyment I got from your book.

Thanks,
Alan

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Wilson | 1 comments In response to these comments I have bought the book and look forward to a fun read. This site has helped me expand my reading horizons recently dragging me away from a constant diet of crime towards historical fiction ( Pillars of the Earth) autobiography ( Alan Sugar ) and now comedy . Great stuff

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Hi Peter,

Thanks! I hope you enjoy Boomerang. Pillars of the Earth is on my TBR list too.

Please, let me know how you liked Boomerang. I love to hear from readers!

Alan

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) And here is the latest review Boomerang has received across the pond at Amazon UK.

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
4.0 out of 5 stars A comedy caper, 12 Dec 2010
By
TopCat "TC" (Devon) - See all my reviews
I've been reading a lot of thrillers and murder mysteries so fancying a change and something humourous I thought I would give this, which has received some very good reviews, a try. It's an out and out comedy caper filled with a cast of dysfunctional characters. They are all trying to get their hands on a boomerang containing secrets dating back to the time of J Edgar Hoover.

The story is told from a host of viewpoints, including that of a dog, yet somehow the author manages to ensure they all receive enough attention, putting plenty of flesh on the bones of the various characters. The under-employed employees of AABC were particularly amusing, I could just imagine their situation is probably too close for comfort to some government departments.

It was definitely a laugh out loud book at points, although it didn't have me in stitches in the way say a Ben Elton book often does. I liked the narrative style and despite the number of characters and everything going on never felt like I was struggling to keep up with who was who, or what they were doing and why. This is a book I really liked, good fun and light-hearted, and another Kindle 72p bargain

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) It's been interesting to see that Boomerang has gotten a much better reception these past couple of months over in the UK than on its home turf. The ratio of Amazon UK to US sales this month is 17 to 1! None of the action takes place in Britain (Australia, San Francisco, Washington DC, Martha's Vineyard and Arizona are the locales), but for some reason it seems to have found a modestly growing fan base over there. No complaints from me, mind you I'm happy to find readers wherever I can!

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) December has been a great month for Boomerang. Thanks to everyone who has checked it out so far. I'd like to share the latest review posted on Amazon UK, where Boomerang is currently #7 in the Books>Fiction>Humour section for Kindle books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A film in the waiting, 27 Dec 2010
By
campingkate - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is fast paced with excellent characterisation and humour. The story moves through action rather than narrative with characters developing through dialogue and interaction. It is a very visual book and a story that would make an excellent comic film. I hope it does transfer to the screen and I'll be there watching it and laughing at the dialogue and slapstick humour!

Happy New Year to everyone at Goodreads.

Alan

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte-) | 32 comments Alan wrote: "It's been interesting to see that Boomerang has gotten a much better reception these past couple of months over in the UK than on its home turf. The ratio of Amazon UK to US sales this month is 17 ..."

The British have a quirky sense of humour - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Fawlty Towers, Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin to name a few that date me. If this book appeals to this crowd then I think I will like it - just downloaded it for $.99 Canadian. Look forward to it.

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Charlotte. Thank you and I hope you enjoy Boomerang. I wasn't sure if it was available to Canadians or not, good to know it is! I am a big fan of Douglas Adams, John Cleese (and all the Monty Python crazies) along with many other British performers and authors. I guess it must have rubbed off.

Happy New Year!

Alan

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) More nice reviews coming in for Boomerang from readers in the UK, where it has sold more than 1000 copies in the past two months. Here is a recent review from Amazon UK.

I can soooo see this as a movie!, 15 Jan 2011
By
J. E. Gibbin "Jeg" (UK) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I had heard that this author's style had been likened to Douglas Adams, add that to the fact it was only 72p and I just had to try it. I was NOT disappointed! Anyone who has read Douglas Adams will be able to see the similar writing style, including a similar sense of humour!

At various points throughout the book I found myself thinking what a great film it would make (or even play!) I can't really explain why without risking ruining the book but I would be interested to see if anyone who has read it agrees with me.

Buy this book, I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Something about Boomerang appeals to the Brits, and don't know you it, I couldn't be happier. Here is another recent review. Well, actually, maybe three of them.

A good, involving, humerous read, 12 Feb 2011
By
bookie (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Finally, a cheap kindle book that is well written, I was beginning to think the cheap books a ruse to make you buy kindles only to find the cheap stuff was rubbish and you had to buy the full price ones.
This book put my doubts to rest, the characters are well drawn and the plot although slightly off-beat works well. A good, humerous and involving read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 28 Jan 2011
By
NeilCu - See all my reviews
Boomerang is an excellent read, and very, very funny in parts. It was the first book to make me laugh out loud in a long time. If you like a plot with quirky characters I would highly recommend Boomerang. I hope there is a sequel on the way!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Write the screenplay soon!, 26 Jan 2011
By
Gewitty (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Have the Coen brothers seen this story yet? It's their next movie.

If you loved the dark humour of 'Fargo' or 'No Country For Old Men', this book is for you. Fast-paced, original, and well-written; 'Boomerang' ticks all the boxes. And at the price, it's a steal.

Highly recommended.

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) And yet another nice, five star review for Boomerang.

A Cracking Good Read, 24 Feb 2011
By
BJDee - See all my reviews
As a new Kindle reader I was scouring the humor section for something to read. At 70p I thought "might as well give this a try"
I am so glad I did.It is well written & had me laughing at the ensuing chaotic antics of the various chasers of the boomerang, & the misfortunes of the assassin. As others have said if it would make an hilairious film. Get this book at this price you really can't go wrong.

message 13: by Deb (new)

Deb Wakolee | 13 comments I just bought Boomerrang..for 99 cents..you can't go wrong!

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Hi Deb,

Thank you for your investment! I hope you find Boomerang a fun read. And you have the distinction of being quite possibly the first US purchaser of Boomerang this month. Selling very nicely in the UK, but here in the good ol' Land o' The Free and Home of the Brave it's a bit slow. So congratulations on being a pioneer!

Best,
Alan

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb Wakolee | 13 comments To Cool! I will read soon and get back with you!

message 16: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) That is a deal. And it looks like you have company this month. One more sold in the US. A stateside sales tsunami, that's what it is! Well, maybe a ripple. If you like it, tell all your friends and maybe we can get the US to catch up to the UK, bless their British hearts!

message 17: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte-) | 32 comments Really enjoyed it - quirky and fun!

message 18: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Charlotte,

Great! Thanks for checking it out and I am really glad you liked it!

Tell your friends!

nudge, nudge

;o)

message 19: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Age recommendation?

message 20: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Hi Katniss,

Sorry about the delay, been out of town with limited access to web.

Anyway, I think a PG-13 rating would be suitable for Boomerang. There is some violence, one character is fond of saying "godamnit" and another character does
have a tendency to wander about in the altogether. All of this is done with comic intent.

Thanks,
Alan

message 21: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Cool. :)

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Well, I hope that means you will give it a look! Still $0.99 wherever ebooks are sold!

message 23: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Yep, plan too soon! gotta finish another book first... so many books, so little time.

message 24: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Got it. Really good so far!

message 25: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Hi Katniss,

Wanted to send just a message, as this thread seems to be in danger of being eliminated, but as you don't accept messages, just wanted to touch base, see if you enjoyed Boomerang, and thank you for investing your time and money.

And of course, thank you to everyone who has gotten a copy. I appreciate it and hope you find it to your liking. I know it is a rather unusual book, and perhaps not to everyone's taste, so thanks for giving it a try.

Best,
Alan

message 26: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Hi Alan

I thought it was very good, although until the middle I was a bit confused at the rapidly changing plot areas. When it all came together though, it was a very complex, sophisticated, and humorous plot that showed how everything made sense. Thanks for a great read!

-Katniss

message 27: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Katniss wrote: "Hi Alan

I thought it was very good, although until the middle I was a bit confused at the rapidly changing plot areas. When it all came together though, it was a very complex, sophisticated, and ..."

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Alan

message 28: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) I am really excited about Boomerang's new cover art, done for me by artist Laura Lakey, who has a ton of book cover and illustration credits. The new cover is now up on both Amazon Kindle and Smashwords. The paperback (which currently has the world's most boring cover) is in the process of being changed. Not sure how long that will take, but I have just been told it has been sent to the "production team".

Please, have a look.

Thanks!
Alan

message 29: by Alan (new)

Alan (plumboz) Latest review from Amazon UK reader.

A Wonderful Quirky Caper, 17 May 2011
By
evertheoptimist (UK) - See all my reviews
Boomerang is a wonderfully exuberant chase caper, a cleverly executed laugh out loud gem full of quirky characters, impossible scenarios, unlikely allies, all pulled together by the brilliantly skilful penmanship of Alan Hutcheson. An absolutely wonderful book...a joy to read from start to hectic finish.