Q&A with Koren Zailckas discussion

Fury Book Trailer

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Koren (new)

Koren Zailckas | 27 comments Mod
Authors are always bitching about book trailers. ("They're tacky." "Undignified." "Low-brow." Blah.) I for one, love myself a good a lit-related video.

Here's a link to the book trailer for my new memoir FURY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmMKUQ...

My husband and I bought ourselves some red footsie pajamas and shot it on a Saturday afternoon.

In the past, we've also shot music videos for his band Brakes. You can watch one of our previous videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_s04...

message 2: by Koren (new)

Koren Zailckas | 27 comments Mod
Butterfly Joi wrote: "Koren, I thought that was amazingly creative. I never thought about a trailer for a book. Why not?

My name is Butterfly Joi and I have you on my list of books to read. I'm looking forward to it be..."

Hey B Joi,

I'm really touched by your note. And so thankful that you're here to take part in this discussion.

I can relate very much to your post. Politeness/agreeableness/sweetness have always been my default mode too. Until very recently, I was always inclined to turn my anger inward and take it out on myself. I think the most depressed and panic-stricken months of my life were actually, secretly the angriest.

There are psychologists out there who say anger can be quite difficult for men too. Many fear it will make them look like bullies.

But, yes, I think fury is one of the last taboos for women. There's still research coming out all the time that shows our culture thinks anger undermines femininity.

A couple of months ago, one found that women who get mad in the workplace are seen as "professionally unstable," whereas their male counterparts aren't.

There was another where researchers would show participants an angry face and happy face and ask them to identify them as male or female as fast as they possibly could. By and large, the participants thought the happy faces were female and the angry faces were male. When the photos didn't follow that model, it slowed them down and gave them some trouble.

It may take a few more generations to change. I think upbringing has a lot to do with it. Maybe our mothers taught us direct shows of anger weren't ladylike. In all likelihood, our grandmothers were appalled by it!

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Quirk | 2 comments I hadn't read smashed yet, but have always been intrigued by it, but was fearful that I may have seen a lot of myself as a younger person in that book. That being said I am going to read both books now. B. Joi, you are an elegant speaker of your heart, and I wish you the best in moving forward and living the life you deserve to live...Peace :0)

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Quirk | 2 comments your welcome...from the bottom of my heart :0)

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4 comments Koren i thought you did a wonderful job on your book