Pittsburgh Goodreaders discussion

December's book

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaspeechpath) | 74 comments Mod
What would you like to read this month? We will need to pick one soon so we have time to read it!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (ersiku) | 21 comments I'm going to nominate Burning Valley by Phillip Bonosky. Published in 1953, it's actually set in western PA, which is kind of cool. It's on my reading list for the near future.

I'd also like to read The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent soon-ish. It's a novel about Martha Carrier, one of the first women accused of and sentenced to death for witchcraft in Salem, MA. The author is actually a descendant of Martha Carrier.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments I have two to propose:

Remainder Remainder by Tom McCarthy

and

Oryx and Crake Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

These both seem like interesting reads.

Paul

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (ersiku) | 21 comments Ooh, Oryx and Crake is wonderful! I listened to it on audio a while back, but I'd listen to it again.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Erin wrote: "Ooh, Oryx and Crake is wonderful! I listened to it on audio a while back, but I'd listen to it again."

After reading "The Handmaid's Tale", I've really come to appreciate Margaret Atwood and this one sounds interesting. Isn't this the first book before "Year of the Flood", her latest book?

I also think your suggestion of "The Heretic's Daughter" sounds good!

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (ersiku) | 21 comments Paul,

Yep, Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood are companion novels. The audiobooks for both are fantastic! I think you could read the books in either order, but I read them in the order they were published and thought they worked really well.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

I read The Year of the Flood and never knew there was a first book.
I am open for all of there-they all sound good!

We should pick soon so we all have time to acquire and read it!

Does anyone else have ideas? I will send out a mass email one more time requesting ideas.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Rooney sent me this when I sent out the initial reminder for our meeting:

If you're taking book suggestions for next month, though, mine is this:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments I vote for Oryx & Crake....

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (ersiku) | 21 comments I'm happy with any of them. Oryx and Crake or Burning Valley would probably be my preferences, since one I've read and the other I'll be reading anyway!

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments Burning Valley sounds interesting. I like the regional setting.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

I sent out an email. I will create a poll after a day or so (to see if we get anyone else's ideas)
and we can then vote on the book choice.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4 comments The Heretic's Daughter sounds good. I'd also like to nominate Richard Russo's "Straight Man." So far they all sound wonderful, though.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

I created a poll-click on "Polls" in the list on the top-right of this page.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 27 comments When is the December meeting? I don't want to vote in the poll before knowing if I can attend.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Hi Nancy. We've been keeping to the first Wednesday schedule. So, that means December 1st.

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 27 comments Thanks, unfortunately, I can't make that day in December. But I think I will be able to start in Jan.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Oryx and Crake is the winner with 50% (5/10) of the votes!

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Lisa wrote: "Oryx and Crake is the winner with 50% (5/10) of the votes!"

Great! See everyone on December 1st....