Mock Caldecott 2023 discussion

Mock Caldecott 2011 > The year is coming to a close.

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 269 comments Mod
With the end of the year 2010 coming up I ask you:
What are some of the books you feel are Caldecott contenders? Let's talk about them.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

I, being partial to David Wiesner, adore Art & Max. I really wonder if Weisner is going to add another award to his wall.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 7 comments Here are a few of the ones topping my list:

Chalk by Bill Thomson - amazing illustrations

Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reversible Verse by Marilyn Singer

And I also think Art & Max by David Wiesner.

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 5 comments I love them all. But Chalk Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reversible Verse and Mama, Is It Summer Yet? are my favorites. I wonder if they will give Wiesner another award as he wins every year, and deservedly so. And I wonder if the Newbery committee is looking at Mirror Mirror.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 7 comments For Newbery contenders I am hearing some of the following being batted around by teachers & librarians:
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Zora and Me by Victoria Bond
The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan
Countdown by Deborah Wiles

message 6: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 5 comments There is a good Newbery group on Goodreads. Some of the other books we've discussed are Mockingbird, The Red Umbrella. Personally, I'm hoping for One Crazy Summer and Countdown.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 7 comments Dana wrote: "There is a good Newbery group on Goodreads. Some of the other books we've discussed are Mockingbird, The Red Umbrella. Personally, I'm hoping for One Crazy Summer an..."

I liked The Red Umbrella but not Mockingbird as much.

message 8: by 8383WB (new)

8383WB | 5 comments I believe the illustrator of Mirror, Mirror A Book of Reversible Verse--Josee Masse--is from Canada and might not be eligible for the Caldecott. Does anyone know for sure?

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 7 comments 8383WB wrote: "I believe the illustrator of Mirror, Mirror A Book of Reversible Verse--Josee Masse--is from Canada and might not be eligible for the Caldecott. Does anyone know for sure?"

Oh, I will have to check that out....didn't realize it.

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed (yedotter) | 14 comments I think Art & Max would be hard to beat, and I love the artwork and the creativity. But my personal favorite is A Sick Day for Amos McGee, which is just a wonderful story with timeless artwork. I also love My Garden and Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors, which are both beautifully illustrated

message 12: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments "Chalk" is the clear winner to me. The art is fantastic and the the pictures lead the children to all kinds of imaginary places and ideas. To watch the kids while I have gone through the book has been amazing.
"Art and Max" is another great choice to be one of the winners.
"Children Make Terrible Pets" by Peter Brown should also be put in the mix.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 15 comments Kristen wrote: "With the end of the year 2010 coming up I ask you:
What are some of the books you feel are Caldecott contenders? Let's talk about them."

I love "City Dog, Country Frog,". "Art and Max" and "Farm".

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments I really like:
Art and Max
Chalk
Jimi: Sounds like a rainbow
LMNO Peas
In the Wild, by Elliott
Of these I don't see Chalk as the clear winner. I see some weaknesses in perspective and facial expression - though it's definitely an outstanding book and the illustrations make it so.
In the Wild is the most beautiful use of woodblock print work I've seen of late, and the watercolor is extraordinary - textures are great in this one. And Jimi: sounds like a rainbow, about Jimi Hendrix is truly original, beautiful, and to my eye, very deserving of a medal or an honor.

message 15: by Leslie (last edited Dec 15, 2010 04:49PM) (new)

Leslie Moon | 10 comments My big faves:

Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)

and

A Sick Day for Amos McGee

The first is hilarious, wry and moving. The second is touching. And both are SO WELL ILLUSTRATED!

I really don't agree with the Art & Max fans... it just is NOT Weisner's best work. The illustrations are a little packed and jumbled. The kids at my story hour found it confusing -- even when I tried to explain all the artist/copycat/wanting to be expressive issues going on. It feels like an ADULT riff, not a true children's book. And the Caldecott should go to a books that speaks clearly and directly to children with their POV in mind.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments I agree that Art & Max isn't a storytime book - the concepts are very abstract, as is the story. I mean there's Arthur "Art" all realistic and strict, then along comes Max the experimenter who blows down Art's rigid defenses and re-constructs him. This book would best be shared with 3rd - 8th graders, possibly as part of an art class to help explain the abstract movement. That said, 3rd - 8th graders are still children and I believe they could grasp the concepts and enjoy the humor. The art does firmly undergird the text and provides depth to the storyline. The illustration is different from Wiesner's other work, but I still think it's exceptional.

message 17: by Ed (new)

Ed (yedotter) | 14 comments I love "Art & Max", and the artwork is extraordinary, but it is very difficult to read to my 8 year-old. Then again, I am a huge fan of David Wiesner, and none of his books are easy to read out loud, but the pictures are amazing. I applaud his creativity, and willingness to use so many different techniques in one book, and definitely consider it a strong candidate to win the Caldecott this year.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 7 comments Karen wrote: "I agree that Art & Max isn't a storytime book - the concepts are very abstract, as is the story. I mean there's Arthur "Art" all realistic and strict, then along comes Max the experimenter who blo..."

Well said...gave me more to think about.

message 19: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 5 comments I also liked Dillweed's Revengefor older kids, and .Bedtime for Mommyfor little ones. I really think Leuyen Pham deserves a medal at some point. Her artwork is so full of life and her website is great for kids too.

message 20: by Janice (new)

Janice  Durante I think these books deserve to be considered for the 2011 Caldecott:
1. In the Wild
2. Ballet for Martha: Making Appalachian Spring
3. Flora's Very Windy Day
4. Dust Devil
5. City Dog, Country Frog

message 21: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments "Chalk" deserves to win. Fantastic book. Hands down in my opinion. The book had everything, and the kids love it.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 15 comments Caren wrote: ""Chalk" deserves to win. Fantastic book. Hands down in my opinion. The book had everything, and the kids love it."
I just finished reading "Chalk", and I agree it is fantastic. I am also still a big fan of "City Dog, Country Frog," my favorite page being where the dog makes the frog smiley face...but I would be happy if either of these books win.

message 23: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments My second favorite is "City Dog, Country Frog," great perspective in the pictures. Hope it wins an Honor. Thanks. Nice to know others see what I see.

message 24: by Janice (new)

Janice  Durante I'd love to see City Dog, Country Frog get at least an Honor award. I think it's the best work Jon Muth has done yet -- and that's saying a lot. I fear, though, he'll be passed over for someone whose work is less realistic.

message 25: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments Yea, I don't always agree with them. Some, I fear, just don't see it through the eyes of children.

message 26: by Kristen (last edited Jan 09, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

I thought A Sick Day for Amos McGee was charming. LMNO Peas is great fun along with Shark vs. Train.

What about Sit-In: How Four Friends Stood Up by Sitting Down? What do you all think of that one?

message 27: by 8383WB (new)

8383WB | 5 comments Love "Bink & Gollie"! It's an updated (but "retro"--is that possible?!?) "Frog and Toad." And like "Frog and Toad," I always wonder if the humor is more obvious to adults than to children. However, the meaning of being a friend is warmly told & illustrated. And just as "Frog & Toad Are Friends" received a Caldecott Honor and "Frog and Toad Together" received a Newbery Honor, I'm hoping "Bink and Gollie" will get one or the other or both!

message 28: by Ed (new)

Ed (yedotter) | 14 comments Bink and Gollie is a fantastic book, and I am really hoping for an award in either Caldecott or Newbery. Thought it was amazingly charming and well illustrated. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

message 29: by Kristen (last edited Jan 10, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Ed wrote: "Bink and Gollie is a fantastic book, and I am really hoping for an award in either Caldecott or Newbery. Thought it was amazingly charming and well illustrated. I'll keep my finger..."

Looks like it won the Geisel Award.

message 30: by Janice (last edited Jan 11, 2011 07:09AM) (new)

Janice  Durante Just in: Bink and Gollie won the Theo Geisel award for best easy reader. The 2011 Caldecott went to A Sick Day for Amos McGee

message 31: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments Happy for "Bink and Gollie" as well. Heard it was going to be a series.

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Caren wrote: "Happy for "Bink and Gollie" as well. Heard it was going to be a series."

Thats fun.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 7 comments Caren wrote: "Happy for "Bink and Gollie" as well. Heard it was going to be a series."

There will be at least 2 more books with Bink & Gollie according to the publisher. And I was excited to see it win a Giesel

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 7 comments I really liked A Sick Day for Amos McGee but had wanted Chalk to win. Happy to see Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave to get an honor plus the Coretta Scott King for Illustrations. A little surprised by Interrupting Chicken which I though was cute/funny but didn't expect it to win an honor.