Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Clan Of The Cave Bear (Spoil Away)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
***********************WARNING**********************

When the group read starts.. here is where the discussion will be held.. That way people wont accidently read something, they dont wish to.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) I just finished Clan and I have to say I don't understand all the rave reviews. I honestly would have abandoned it after 100 pages if it wasn't for all of my friends and family who read the book and loved it. I thought maybe it just took some getting used to, but it just never clicked for me. Anyone else feel ho-hum about it?

message 3: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Wow, you read it fast. When did you start it?

I absolutely loved the first one when I read it. (When I was a kid and many times since). I adored Creb and Iza, and I cried my eyes out when Ayla had to leave Durc behind.

Are you going to continue to read the series? Alot of people liked the second and third alot more because it gets away from the Clan and introduces 'The Others'.

message 4: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Holy Kimberly~ You were quick. Lol. I haven't started yet. I will on the 15th.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) I actually started it a few months ago and read about 100 pages before I heard about this group read. I set it aside until this week when I had jury duty and had a lot of idle time to read, LOL.

I'm not sure if I should try the next book or not. I was wondering if the other books in the series have as many long descriptions of tool making, scenery, etc. as Clan does. That really bogged down the read for me. I didn't mind the information, but there was so much description and then so little dialogue.

message 6: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Well, as I've read the whole series I'll just say this...

The description gets worse for every book. The Clan book was my favorite. Then I loved the second and third. The decription itself wasn't bad, I actually liked it. My problem was that the author will describe the same tool, or tools, over and over repetitively through the series. By the end I just found myself irritated.

Now I say that, but I also have read them all and will read the last one, I count it as one of my favorite series. Still, if it's bothering you now, it will only get worse.

It may be worth it if you read just Valley of the Horses and Mammoth hunters. The first three were the best and the description wasn't too bad. Ayla finds love, which was really great.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) Thanks for the info and advice, Wendy. I think I'm going to skip the rest of the series even though I have them all (including 3 first editions and one autographed one!). It rarely happens that I'll buy a series and then not like it, but I guess it's bound to happen from time to time since I'm a book buying addict, LOL :P Thanks again for the opinion :)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments I have to second Kimberly's opinion - the descriptions were what bothered me when I first read the book and they keep doing so. Although I also remember that I loved Valley of the Horses.
I'd say I was alternately bored and heartbroken for Ayla - it is never good when I find myself skipping and skimming.

message 9: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Oh my Gosh! Is your autographed copy hardcover? Would you be willing to sell it, lmao?

I have the whole series in hardcover, but none autographed.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) Wendy wrote: "Oh my Gosh! Is your autographed copy hardcover? Would you be willing to sell it, lmao?

I have the whole series in hardcover, but none autographed."

Nope :( It's a trade paperback signed of Valley of the Horses. Auel is from the Portland area (which is where I live) so I think it may be easier to find signed copies around here. Let me know if you're interested, haha :) I'd sell it for what I bought it for, which was $8.50 I believe.

message 11: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I'm more than halfway done with this book and I just need to say that Broud has pissed me off one too many times. Ok, that is all. Back to reading.

message 12: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lol~ I am just approaching the cave ceremony~ about 80ish pages in. I just started it though, You enjoying so far Kay?

message 13: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I do agree that it is way too descriptive but I like the characters & story so far. I'm nervous for Ayla & her future tho. I'm not sure what page I'm on since I'm reading the ebook. They are at the Clan Gathering now. I'll probably finish this book before the end of day tomorrow.

message 14: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I finished the book!! I am so sad how things went down at the end for Ayla :( For those who have read the series, do the other books have an happier outcome? Does she ever see Durc again? I just don't know if I can emotionally invest myself with these characters if there may not be a happy ending. I just can't handle it. This was definitely a great read. I did however skim the overly descriptive sections bc it was just too much for me. Thanks for recommending this book for our group read, Shell.

message 15: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Every time I read Clan I cry when that happens, it's so so sad. Him screaming for her and the Clan dragging him away. Just after Creb dies too, it was heartbreaking. (I absolutely adored Creb.)

I'm going to answer that question on the count of 3, so that you have an opportunity to not find out if you decide to not read the spoiler, lol.
Up to where I have read (everything except the newest book, which comes out in March), Ayla has not been reunited with Durc. There is a prophesy though, that leaves me hopeful.

You should definitely keep reading because Ayla doesn't stay alone for long, she finds love.

message 16: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thanks, Wendy. I think I might continue reading this series but I won't start the next one just yet. After reading Clan, I need something lighter and less emotionally draining since I tend to usually read books with HEAs.

message 17: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Completely understandable. I do the same thing when I read a emotional series.

message 18: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

So me not being able to get into it is stupid? Lol~ Meaning I should keep trying Kay?

message 19: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Shell wrote: "So me not being able to get into it is stupid? Lol~ Meaning I should keep trying Kay?"

I didn't get into it at first either. I almost gave up on the book about halfway through but glad that I pushed myself to finish it. Try to stick it out, Shell...it should get better.

message 20: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

cool~ thx Kay, I will.