The County Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Should I Read? > Looking for humor!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments I'm looking for a book or two to give to my young daughter in law for Christmas. Well, and I'd like a suggestion for myself.

What books have made you laugh? I don't care for a lot of sexual content, and don't want to give that for a gift. Last year I gave her the first couple of the Shopaholic series, but they got old after the first couple in my opinion.

I've read all the Stephanie Plum books, and so has she. I'm looking for something new!

Love,
C

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) Daughter in-law? try 'How To Argue and Win Every Time, by Jerry Spense. Funnny, it's not about arguing or winning, quite the opposite, but the title is a grabber. think it would have made NYT's best-seller list if he called it 'How To Empower Others With The Right to Disagree So As To Avoid Needless Pissing Contests In Your Daily Relationships'?

Or, if you'd prefer something informative, entertaining and hilarious, try, 'The Twain Shall Meet', Mark Twain's mind in modern times; insight with bite. A fascinating, never-gonna-make-a-best-seller-list, 5* you'll ever read. Maybe I should have called it,'How to Help Me Put Food On The Table'. :):)
-j
www.jguevaranovels.com (for links)

message 3: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments Thanks for your help! I'm excited to add those to my list. My daughter in law would probably love the one you said by Jerry Spense!

Anyone else?

Thanks again!
C

message 4: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments And thank you for the links!
C

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 498 comments Dave Barry and Erma Bombeck are always fabulous.

If she has kids or is pregnant, I'd recommend How Did I Get Like This? by Amy Wilson.

Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series is a hilarious fantasy series.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 13 comments I am a huge fan of Sarah Vowell (an NPR commentator) and her historical essays. "Assassination Vacation" is my favorite of her books. She drags her friends and sister around to historical sites associated with presidential assassinations, and the way she describes history and the people involved is (I promise) hysterically funny. One of my favorite humorous novels, though, is "Mike Nelson's Death Rat!" by Mike J. Nelson. Not sure if it's still in print, it's a couple of years old.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
I thought One Day was hilarious, in a British kind of way, though it was a bit sad at the very end.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments Sounds like you might be interested in something like Truly, Madly Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber by Heather Webber. It is funny and cute and what we librarian types call a Gentle Read. I think you daughter-in-law might like it, and you might too. It was a recent Good Reads selection.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "Sounds like you might be interested in something like Truly, Madly Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber by Heather Webber. It is funny and cute and what we librarian types call a Gentle Read. I think y..."

Loved this! Melinda suggested it to me the other day at a meeting, and I picked it up and finished it in one night. Very cute. I already have the second one on my nightstand.

message 10: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments Jennifer wrote: "I thought One Day was hilarious, in a British kind of way, though it was a bit sad at the very end."
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I will definitely try this one.
A "gentle read" sounds like a good description of what I'm looking for!

message 11: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments I appreciate all of these suggestions! Please keep them coming!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 40 comments Everyone has a different opinion of what's funny. I think Christopher Moore's stuff is hilarious, but definitely NOT gentle. I also love Terry Pratchett, who's stuff is usually classified as fantasy (for good reason, I know) but is also quite often terribly insightful political and cultural satire.

message 13: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (bookcrone) | 14 comments I agree with Stephanie about Christopher Moore and Terry Pratchett. I also love understated ironic British humor

message 14: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments I just found a little treat last night, in an unexpected place. I laughed right out loud! I listen to books on tape, and sometimes it makes a difference who reads them. In this case, the book was very funny and I would have loved it no matter who read it!
I had heard of "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham but never bothered to spend my time on it. What a fun little read! It was a relaxing bit at the end of a rough day. I think I'll tuck this one in with the others I buy for my daughter=in=law!

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 13 comments I love Skipping Christmas! I've given it to a number of people as a Christmas gift! An excellent choice!

message 16: by Tina (last edited Dec 20, 2010 02:28PM) (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 32 comments Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series is a hilarious fanta..."

I love this series, the main character's sarcastic nature adds a lot of humor. Now that you've reminded me I'm going to have to go back and read them again! (The first three books keep the sex to innuendo only; there is one bedroom scene in the fourth book.)

message 17: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments Thanks everyone! I love all the great ideas!
CN

message 18: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments Jessica wrote: "I am a huge fan of Sarah Vowell (an NPR commentator) and her historical essays. "Assassination Vacation" is my favorite of her books. She drags her friends and sister around to historical sites a..."

This sounds great!

message 19: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments Jennifer wrote: "Jan wrote: "Sounds like you might be interested in something like Truly, Madly Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber by Heather Webber. It is funny and cute and what we librarian types call a Gentle Rea..."
This one is now in her gift box.. along with a few others.

message 20: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments Tina wrote: "Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series is a hilarious fanta..."

I love this series, the main character's sarcastic nature adds a lot of humor. Now that you've reminded me I'm going to have to go ba..."

This sounds just like what Ive been looking for!

message 21: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Payne | 4 comments Two of the funniest books I have ever read (and they're even more fun when read in tandem) are _Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs_ and _I Hate Myself and Want to Die_, which is about the most depressing songs ever written. The overlap between the two lists is astounding. But, bear in mind that I like MST3K, so this kind of "so bad it's good" is to my taste.

message 22: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments I'm an MST3K kind of girl too.

Thanks everyone! Keep them coming!

message 23: by Nora (new)

Nora | 1 comments Robert Asprin & Piers Anthony. ;)

message 24: by Colleen (last edited Apr 12, 2011 10:20AM) (new)

Colleen Helme | 3 comments If you're interested in a fun, light-hearted read check out my book CARROTS here on Goodreads. I am willing to give one free copy to anyone who would like to review it in this group!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 25: by Jeana (new)

Jeana (jeanaclaudine) I just finished Attachments by Rainbow Rowell and it was laugh-out-loud funny.

message 26: by Captain (last edited Apr 02, 2012 12:23PM) (new)

Captain Curmudgeon | 11 comments Jessica wrote: "I am a huge fan of Sarah Vowell (an NPR commentator)"

Also a fan. She seems like three different people, though: the person you hear on NPR, the pictures of her, and the writer.

(Whereas Dave Berry is always the same. Hmmm.)

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Beck | 2 comments The books that made me laugh the most were The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books by Douglas Adams and The Princess Bride, by William Goldman.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.