Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > You're fav. mystery writer..

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Christy | 1 comments I haven't got to read any of her books. Is there any that you suggest? My favorite mystery writer is James Patterson.

message 2: by Clara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Clara Dearmore Strom I don't think I can pick just one. It depends on my mood. J.A. Jance, Carol O'Donnell, Rex Stout, and many others I can't remember. I like Andrew Vachss too, but I don't think he's exactly mystery.

message 3: by Makeesha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Makeesha Fisher | 1 comments Anne Perry without a doubt

message 4: by Miki (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Miki | 3 comments I never heard of Anne Perry. My favorite author is Carolyn Keene. I read most of her Nancy Drew mystery stories. Carolyn Keene is a creative female author.

message 5: by Joy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Joy (aughadan) My favorite mystery author is Stuart Kaminsky. He won the Mystery Writers of America's Grand Master Award in 2006. I've only read books from his Toby Peters and Rostnikov series, but I have read quite a few of both and have yet to find one I dislike. He always has such interesting and unique settings and the characters and plotlines are compelling. In fact, Emil Karpo from the Rostnikov series is probably my favorite literary character ever.

message 6: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Julie | 9 comments I would have to agree with others and cite Agatha Christie as my favorite mystery writer although I grew up reading Nancy Drew and it was her adventures that caused me to want to live of mystery and adventure (and have titian hair). I'm also becoming quite a fan of PD James though--perhaps it's the British sensibility.

message 7: by Alder (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Alder | 1 comments My favorites are Elizabeth Peters and Dorothy Sayers. Both have a good mix of interesting plots and fun characters. I've been reading some PD James lately, too, and enjoy them pretty well.

message 8: by Joey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

Joey | 3 comments I have enjoyed reading your comments. My favorites are P.D. James and Agatha Christie. However, Margaret Truman (yes, she is Harry Truman's daughter) is a superb writer. Additionally, she is extrememly knowledgeable about Washington D.C. I have read and re-read all twenty-three of the books in her Capital Crime Series. Another favorite is Dick Francis (I have read all of his), and I thoroughly enjoy the cozy mysteries. Have any of you tried the Aunt Dimity series by Nanct Atherton?

message 9: by Rita (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

Rita | 2 comments at one point i may have said stephen king or later dean koontz, but since 'from a buick 8' and the odd thomas series *yawn* i'm gonna have to go with harlan coben. he's dynamite right now.

message 10: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Julie | 9 comments I'm excited to hear everyone's recommendations. I'm always looking for a new series to read, especially if the author has already written a lot. I hate waiting for the latest book in a series that I love.

message 11: by Joey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Joey | 3 comments Hey Julie,
As I wrote above, the prolific writers with many mysteries to their credits are PD James, Margaret Truman, Agatha Chrisite, Dick Francis. But there are also Elizabeth George, her continuing characters make these fun to read in order: Colin Dexter, Dianne Mott Davidson, Susan Wittig Albert, Beverle Graves Myers, Laura Childs, John Dunning. Phew, I'll stop.

message 12: by Clara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Clara Dearmore Strom I like James Patterson too. J.A. Jance has two characters she writes. Joanna Brady the Sheriff in Arizona and J.P. Beaumont in Seattle. I like both of them, but I think I like Beau the best. You don't have to read them in order, but you might want to just to see the character development and to get some of the history straight. I just finish Step on A Crack. I like the Women's Murder Club novels Patterson writes.

message 13: by Clara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Clara Dearmore Strom I read all of Harlan Coben's years ago. He's great. I like the newer ones too.

message 14: by Ami (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Ami (amie_07) Well, hands down, Agatha Christie writes great mystery. I read all of her books (I think) since I have like 80 titles. Other than the Queen, I also read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Michael Connelly, the Rhyme/Sachs series from Jeffery Deaver, and of course Dennis Lehane ...

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

My favorites tend to be the new authors I've just found- John Burdett has written a great mystery series set in Bangkok I really love, and he has a new book out this month. Also Laurie King, especially the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes books, and the earlier Ian Rankin novels. And Josh Lanyon, who writes mysteries with a gay sleuth who runs a mystery bookstore- Adrien English. He's my writing partner. (Josh, not Adrien). And Michael Chabon has blown away all the competition with his new mystery, The Yiddish Policeman's Union.

message 16: by Mel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Mel A few of my favorites are:

*John D. MacDonald: His Travis McGee books are great; hard-boiled, set in Florida, great writing
*Henning Mankell: Police procedural; Inspector Wallander is the protagonist
*Georges Simenon: And his Inspector Maigret; police procedural; spare, evocative writing.
*Raymond Chandler: Super-hard-boiled and noir...fabulous.

Am currently reading the Inspector Chen series by Qiu Xiaolong; all are great. And also love Agatha Christie...always a pleasure to read and re-read.

message 17: by Atalia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Atalia Hall | 2 comments my favorite will always be Carolyn Keen, I read almost all of the Nancy Drew books when I was younger.

message 18: by Sfdreams (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Sfdreams | 12 comments I can't pick just one...I love so many! I think my current/or perennial favorites are:

1. JA Jance, esp the Joanna Brady mysteries
2. Abigail Padgett, who to my great distress hasn't had any recent books
3. Jonathon and Faye Kellerman
4. Maggie Sefton's knitting mysteries
5. Linda Fairstein
6. Susan Wittig Albert
7. Sue Grafton
8. Patricia Cornwell

There are SO many more that I love reading, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind today. I am currently reading Carol O'Connell's "Find Me" and am enjoying it immensely. I have read most of her books, but did not read the last one or two before "Find Me". Having a sociopath as the protagonist gets disturbing after awhile. The current book is very interesting as she is trying to track down her father and her past.

message 19: by Jaime Pruitt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Jaime Pruitt | 3 comments Here are my all time favorite mystery authors. I'd have a hard time choosing just one - maybe Nelson DeMille?

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is excellent (not very dark with lots of comedy)

Tess Gerritsen (all of hers are good...especially the ones with Detective Jane Rizzoli in them)

Alex Kava (Maggie O'Dell series)

Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta series)

Kathy Reichs (Temperance Brennan series)

Karin Slaughter (Sara Linton/Jeffrey Tolliver series)

Nelson DeMille - all of his are amazing but especially Plum Island, The Lions Game, Up Country and Wildfire

Dan Brown (all of his are good, not just the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons - I really liked Deception Point and Digital Fortress)

Lewis Perdue - Daughter of God (this is sort of like a DaVinci Code book)

Raymond Khoury - The Last Templar (another of the DaVinci Code genre)

James Patterson (Alex Cross series or Women's Murder Club series)

Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone series)

Kate White (Bailey Weggins series)

Daniel Silva (Gabriel Allon series)

Kay Hooper ("Bishop" Special Crimes Unit series)

Linda Fairstein (Alexandra Cooper series)

Lisa Scottoline

Mary Higgins Clark

Jill Churchill (Jane Jeffries series)

Leslie Caine (Domestic Bliss series)

Kate Collins (Flower Shop mystery series)

Michael Crichton - Prey is a great one

Laura Levine - Jaine Austen series

message 20: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) My top favorite series listed first - noticed some haven't yet been mentioned:

Abigail Padgett (Bo Bradley series)
Sue Grafton (Kinsey Millhone series)
Stephen White (Alan Gregory series)
Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware series)
Nevada Barr (Anna Pidgeon series)
Donna Andrews (Turing Hopper series)
Penny Warner (Connor Westphal series)

and stand alone thrillers by Michael Crichton, Robin Cook, Michael Palmer, Joy Fielding, Mary Higgins Clark, etc.

Used to enjoy but can't keep up with all of them or have finished them: Ayelet Waldman, Diane Mott Davidson, Patricia Cornwell, P. D. James, Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Faye Kellerman, James Patterson (Women's Murder Club), Alexander McCall Smith, and the Nancy Drew and Bobbsey Twin mysteries, and many more. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch! And there are many I'd like to start.

message 21: by Jill (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Jill Harlan Coben and David Rosenfelt. Clever, witty writers that are completely accessible to all ages. I recommend these writers to all mystery lovers!

message 22: by Miki (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Miki | 3 comments Agatha Christie is my second favorite author. She writes excellent mysteries. In her mysteries, she has a man and a woman work together to solve mysteries. When the man and woman are not solving any mysteries, they are eating in a restaurant and talk to each other about people they know.

message 23: by Pamela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Pamela My current favorites are Ruth Rendell (surprised not to see her yet) and Laurie King. I buy everything either one of them writes. I also really like Rex Stout. When I was about 12, I wanted to marry Archie Goodwin.

message 24: by Patry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Patry | 2 comments Ruth Rendell is superb!

message 25: by Patry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Patry | 2 comments I'm glad someone mentioned Dennis Lehane.

message 26: by Sophy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Sophy | 4 comments Agatha Christie is by far my favorite mystery writer, however I also enjoy the occasional Dorothy Sayers.

Also, just to let all of the Carolyn Keene fans know, that name is actually a pseudonym created by the Stratemeyer Syndicate who also created the character. The Nancy Drew stories have been written by numerous different women, and I think possibly a few men. :)

message 27: by Elin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Elin Peter Robinson (inspector Banks series)
and
Elizabeth George (Thomas Lynley and Barbara Havers)
are my two absolute favourites

I also like Minette Walters, Henning Mankell, Agatha Christie and PD James

message 28: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Katie E Linder Does anyone read Jan Burke? I haven't seen her name mentioned, but I love her stuff.

message 29: by Sergey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Sergey (zvukvnochi) My favorite mystery writer is Agatha Christie, without doubt. I also like James Patterson somewhat.

message 30: by Christina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Christina | 3 comments I was reading "Murder on the Orient Express" when I was a kid. They were the first "grown up" books I ever read. It is still a phenomenal read.

message 31: by Christina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Christina | 3 comments I really don't have a favorite. Right now my top five are (in no particular order):

1. Lincoln Childe and Douglas Prescott
2. James Patterson
3. Jonathan Kellerman
4. Dan Brown
5. Agatha Christie

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Right now it's...

Ken Bruen - I can't say begin to say enough good things about Ken Bruen's books. They're fine examples of that unique wedding of darkness, humor, violence & poetic beauty that Irish authors deliver like no one else.

message 33: by Woodspryte (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Woodspryte | 1 comments Carolyn Keene was several authors. Mildred Wirt Benson was the first Carolyn Keene.

message 34: by Marlene (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Marlene I really like books by Mary Higgins Clark

message 35: by Richard (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Richard | 3 comments Agatha Christie is the best.
Other authors from the same era that are just as good.
Ngaio Marsh and her Roderick Alleyn mysteries
Patricia Wentworth and her Miss Silver mysteries.
Other Authors that I like.
Martha Grimes,Earlene Fowler,
Tim Cockey's Hitchcock Sewell mysteries,
Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael stories,
Margaret Frazer's Sister Frevisse
Denise Swanson and her Scumble River Mysteries
M.C. Beaton and her Hamish MacBeth stories
and any books by R.D. Zimmerman

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm no longer anywhere near 12 and I STILL want to marry Archie Goodwin. :)

message 37: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) Clara, I like Beau the best as well. I stumbled across J.A. Jance's series one day while browsing the library and I read the third or fourth book without realizing it was in a series. Then I went back and read them all, he's a great character.

I also love James Patterson, Harlan Coben, Janet Evanovich, Lee Child, Jeffery Deaver, the list goes on and on and on...

message 38: by Lynne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Lynne (exblondie61) | 6 comments Favorite? Depends.

For a fast read, James Patterson and Stuart Woods. Setting: Marcia Muller and Aimee Thurlo.

Think Mary Higgins Clark does the best job of developing multiple suspects and keeping the culprit hidden until the last minute.

Lynne

message 39: by Lindsay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Lindsay | 4 comments James Patterson

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 04, 2007 04:55PM) (new)

Joey-
I have read the Aunt Dimity series and thoroughly enjoy it. I like the settings and plots. There's just some thing cozy about a mystery set in Britain and surrounding environs. My library has a limited selection-- I'm always on the hunt for a new one.

message 41: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Deborah | 5 comments I don't have just one, as even within mysteries the styles are too varied, it's like pitting a musical against a drama for "Best Picture."

I love Block, except when he's lazy. I think Scudder is one of the best characters ever.

Edward Hoch is my favorite short story writer. He is amazing.

Both Kellermans are good, although they have each had some weak books.

What constitutes a mystery anyway? How much "thriller" crosses over into that territory? David Morell is one of the best writers ever - do any of his novels count as mysteries? After all, in some of his earlier works we're trying to figure out who is after the protagonist. Isn't that a mystery?

I could go on and on, but that's why folks like us find places like this, because we love books.

one last word.... all of the above, when I say "favorite" ---- I have to add the caveat. My true favorite mystery writer (short stories in EQMM/AHMM and novels) is Robert S. Levinson.

He happens to be my father, but since he also can write better than 99% of the population, I feel comfortable giving him a plug here.

Heck, even my former sister-in-law gave him four stars for his first novel. ::grin::

message 42: by Bett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Bett Walker | 7 comments Like many of you, I have so many mystery writers which I enjoy, it would be difficult to list them. Currently I am reading "Devices & Desires" by P.D.James, which I am really enjoying. The next two which I have waiting are "Up Close & Dangerous" by Linda Howard and "The Devil YOu Know" by Mike Carey. I will let you know what I think of these.

message 43: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Susan | 3 comments I've always had a special fondness for British mystery novels, although I love all kinds...My all-time favorites are Ruth Rendell (who is both brilliant and prolific), P.D. James, Elizabeth George, and Minette Walters. I also enjoy Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, and Charles Todd. Of course, like many of you, I fell in love with the genre by reading Agatha Christie!

Wow...this post made me realize two things:
1.) I need to update my goodreads page.
2.) It's almost impossible to pick just one writer as a favorite!

message 44: by Mindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Mindy | 5 comments Right now, I'd say Ian Rankin for his Detective Rebus series, Donna Leon, and Kjell Eriksson.

message 45: by raina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

raina | 2 comments p.d. james
elizabeth george (not the most recent ones though)
henning mankell
helen tursten

message 46: by Lawriter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Lawriter | 13 comments Stephen J. Cannell, his mystery detective novels sound real because he does a lot of research. His latest one - Three Shirt Deal - is very suspenseful: http://www.threeshirtdeal.com/