Beyond Reality discussion

Members' Lounge > Fantasy Names

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel There is a chance that by tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a little black Pomeranian-Cross puppy that was rescued by my parents local vet clinic. I've immediately started thinking, "what fantasy or sci-fi character should I name her after?"

Any ideas? Has anyone else named their pets in this way?

Come on. I know that somewhere in the world there is a cat named Gandalf ;)

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2362 comments Mod
I've got friends who have a cat named Samwise :)

Wizard names and hobbit names are good for pets!

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Nov 08, 2010 06:30AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Since she's a girl, how about Elaira, the main female character in Wars of Light and Shadow? Or Jago, the female Atevi in the Foreigner series by C.J.Cherryh. I suppose you could feminize Gandolf by changing it to Gandolfa. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any great female sorcerers. Hey! Maybe someone should write a book with one! EEO for fantasy!

Well, here's a thread with this subject: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

Which reminded me of Sabriel! A great name for a female puppy.

message 4: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Pomeranians are such smart, bright little guys; I was immediately reminded of the foxes ridden by Dennis McKiernan's Pysk.

They have lovely names, and a foxy name might suit such a dog.

Vex was the name of one of them (in City of Jade). There were others in his book Voyage of the Fox Rider - read it so long ago, but wasn't one of the foxes black?

message 5: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments Since she's a girl .... how about Arya Stark from George R.R. Martin "Ice and Fire" series?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

A quick look at the bookshelf shows some good female character names:
Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire seies: Soz (Sauscony)Valdoria, Roca, Dehya
Heinlein, Glory Road: Star
Steven Brust, Phoenix Guards series: Tazendra, Sethra Lavode
Lee and Miller, Liaden Universe: Cantra

Let us know what you end up naming her!

message 7: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Even though I ditched the series at book 8, one of my favorite fantasy names is from the Wheel of Tofu Time series by Robert Jordan: Siuan (pronounced, at least in my head, as See-wan, not Swan.

And if it's a parrot, you could go for Polgara from the Belgariad. :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Another great fiction name is Dagny, from Atlas Shrugged which is fantasy in a way.

BTW Stefan, I always (in my head)pronounced that name Schwan. A cool one!

message 9: by Stertay (new)

Stertay | 4 comments My pomeranian's name is Mulder, because he is foxlike. (Fox Mulder, the X-Files) Never got him a Scully.

message 10: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Not fantasy, but an ex-boyfriend and I used to say that if we ever got pets together, we'd get two dogs and name them Sherlock and Watson.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments ROFL!

When I was divorced I got two kittens (my ex hated cats) and named them Charlotte and Emily after the Bronte sisters. But Charlotte turned out to be a boy so I changed his name to Heathcliff! He was such a sweetie.

message 12: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Squee! She's coming to live with me on Saturday - I love all of the suggestions you have made! I'm going to try them all out on her Sarurday and let you know.

I wish there were two her who are boys so I can use Sherlock and Watson ;)

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Yay! Keep us posted!

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Here's one, for a female wizard name: Polgara the Sorceress

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) ...and there's always Hermione...

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Oh! I like Hermione !!

message 17: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Chris wrote: "Here's one, for a female wizard name: Polgara the Sorceress"

I called that one already, but I think it should be for parrots only. "Polly wanna cracker!"

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Oh, sorry Stefan. I missed it the first pass-thru. Or my eye picked it up and suggested it to my brain. Hehe..But yeah, would be better for a parrot...

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Speaking of Hermione... there's Nymphadora, or Minerva, or Ginevra.

There's Esmerelda/Esme (Granny Weatherwax.)

And, of course, there's always Elphaba (from Wicked).

When I got my kittens a couple of years ago, I named them Moony and Padfoot. I started out knowing I wanted to use Harry Potter names, and then picked from there. To help you narrow the list, you could start by picking your favorite books, and work from there.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Or if Nymphadora is too long, there's Tonks.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I thought of adding that, Chris, but then thought not, since it's her surname. But, yes, Tonks would work.

Or Bellatrix. Bellatrix seems a good name for a black dog. >:)

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Siriusly. That would work.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Chris wrote: "Siriusly. That would work."

Oh gods - the pun... it hurts us precious...

message 24: by Carolyn (last edited Nov 10, 2010 09:44AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) I like Bellatrix as a name, but you know that would get shortened to 'Bella' which is a very common name and nickname for little girls right now, so it wouldn't end up sounding very unique, and might cause some confusion at the park. = P

I like Menolly or Lessa or Moreta (from Anne McCaffrey's Pern series), Chani from
Dune, Offred from The Handmaid's Tale, or if you want something very current: Katniss from The Hunger Games

All sound female, they might be recognized by readers, and they don't sound like current children's names.

Congrats on your new addition and looking forward to hearing what you decide to name her! = )

message 25: by Felina (new)

Felina Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Chris wrote: "Siriusly. That would work."

Oh gods - the pun... it hurts us precious..."

Ha ha. Magic!

message 26: by Felina (new)

Felina Yeah don't do Bella. People wil think you're a Twihard. You'd have to get two other dogs and name them Edward and Jacob.

message 27: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon (last edited Nov 10, 2010 09:49AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Chris wrote: "Siriusly. That would work."

Oh gods - the pun... it hurts us precious..."

And while we're on the LotR references, there's always Arwen, Galadriel or Eowyn.

@Felina - one day I will have to read those books, just so I can mock them properly. ;)

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Felina wrote: "Yeah don't do Bella. People wil think you're a Twihard. You'd have to get two other dogs and name them Edward and Jacob."

One of my cousins is suffering from this phenomena. They named their daughter Anabelle, and everyone calls her Bella.. It's sad.

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) My suggestions: Fitz (I know it's a boy's name in the book, but it could work for a girl too), Kettricken, Patience... Anything from the Hobb series :)

message 30: by Felina (new)

Felina @Felina - one day I will have to read those books, just so I can mock them properly. ;)

Not sure its worth it. And what if you actually liked it...or loved it. I'd never be able to talk to you again!

message 31: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I just thought of another one... Gaspode! (from Terry Pratchett's Discworld)

Or for a cat... Greebo! (same)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Felina wrote: "@Felina - one day I will have to read those books, just so I can mock them properly. ;)

Not sure its worth it. And what if you actually liked it...or loved it. I'd never be able to talk to you ..."

If I did like it, I'd be too ashamed to tell anyone. ;)

message 33: by Felina (new)

Felina Ha ha.

message 34: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Long story short, the Pom cross was adopted to someone else. Happily, a little black and brown Cocker Spaniel will be joining my home in two weeks, once she's old enough to leave her mother. I've written down all of your suggestions and will try them all out on her. I'll post a picture and her new name as soon as she arrives! (when my friend saw her photo, she said that she could already smell the puppy breathe - she is SO cute!!)

Oh, and I've always loved Isabella for a name. Sadly, you are correct, Bella has been taken over from the Twilight craze.

message 35: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Oh, and I love the suggestion of Nymphadora/Tonks!

message 36: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I'm going to add Briar from Boneshaker and Neira aka Uhurra from star Trek to the list. I'd live to use a character name from a Guy Gavriel Kay book as well. Maybe Kimberley?

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Laurel wrote: "Long story short, the Pom cross was adopted to someone else. Happily, a little black and brown Cocker Spaniel will be joining my home in two weeks, once she's old enough to leave her mother. I've..."

Oh! :( What happened?

message 38: by Laurel (new)

Laurel The vet who rescued her was on a first come first served basis. He knew my parents were coming to see her, but another couple showed up ahead of them, so they adopted her.

I wish I could post a picture of the puppy I am getting! She's a beautiful little black cocker spaniel with brown eyebrows and brown shaded through her muzzle and her legs. The very tips of her paws are white, as is her chin. I'm telling you, she's a heartbreaker!

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Aw. Sounds adorable!

message 40: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie Cybele from Cybele's Secret by, Juliet Marillier
Tuala from The Bridei Series by,Juliet Marillier
Morgaine from Mists of Avalon by, Marion Zimmer Bradley

message 41: by Felina (new)

Felina There's Jehane and Miranda for Lions of al-Rassan. Both very badass chicks. There's some more Kay names for you.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 82 comments This won't help with naming anymore.....
;)
but I had to add my name.

About 18 years ago I had a similar conundrum. I wanted a LotR name.
Treebeard was already taken.( by a friend)
I thought maybe Mithril (he was a grey silvery sort of elfen kitten) or Mellon.

Nah.
He was Pippin. And yes he was.