Cozy Mysteries discussion

Book and Series discussions > Diane Mott Davidson series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 368 comments I enjoy the cozy series by Diane Mott Davidson, havent read them all yet..but find myself collecting them in my TBR stack. =)
Who are your favorite characters in this series?
Ive noticed that she has a new book coming out next year.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 821 comments I'm all caught up with this series ;) There have been a few duds, but most of the time I enjoy them. I enjoy the relationship between Goldy and the other "ex" (I think her name is Marla?). I'm looking forward to Crunch Time!

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments This series used to be a favorite of mine, but it has grown tiresome for me with the last 3 books or so. I always liked Tom & Marla. Was really glad when "The Jerk" finally got killed off and I can't stand Arch.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Nov 07, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments I am only on book 7. I liked all of the first books until the last one (book 6), so I hope The Grilling Season (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #7) by Diane Mott Davidson is better.

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Melodie wrote: "This series used to be a favorite of mine, but it has grown tiresome for me with the last 3 books or so. I always liked Tom & Marla. Was really glad when "The Jerk" finally got killed off and I c..."

Yes, and the last one was so bad I pretty much decided I'm done with the series. Too many good things to read to waste my time. Wish she's start a new series.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Shay wrote: "Yes, and the last one was so bad I pretty much decided I'm done with the series. Too many good things to read to waste my time. Wish she's start a new series.."

I'm in agreement with you, Shay. I don't plan to read anymore in the series either.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments She started out with a bang but now it is not as good, nothing too terrific happens to her, it is pretty much blase reading as far as I am concerned.

message 8: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 862 comments Ditto, I quit several books ago.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Don't these authors know that they have to introduce new characters or give them other problems to keep us as readers enthralled?

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4529 comments This series needed to end quite a while ago. I enjoyed them in the early years, but they've gotten really dull. Didn't bother to read the last two.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen I have read all of these. Did not like that I have no more of them to read unless a new one comes out. I think some are not as good as others, but unless Ann Perry is counted as "cozy"? This would be my favorite series and author for "cozy." I always am motivated to cook while I am reading. I love to cook as it is , but she really stirs me up which I like. I was also glad when "the Jerk" bit it. So funny. As I find more authors recommended on here, I may feel more like some of you about these.

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Karen wrote: "I have read all of these. Did not like that I have no more of them to read unless a new one comes out. I think some are not as good as others, but unless Ann Perry is counted as "cozy"? This would ..."

There is a new one coming out next month called Crunch Time (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #16) by Diane Mott Davidson Crunch Time.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz | 42 comments I agree that these books aren't as good as they used to be, although I'm still looking forward to reading the new one. But no one has mentioned the recipes...has anyone else tried any of them? I make her "Canterbury Jumbles" from "The Last Suppers" every year at Christmas (but usually with dried cranberries instead of the raisins.

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments CRUNCH TIME has already received some REALLY bad advance reviews on Amazon. Guess I'm really glad I don't buy these anymore!

message 15: by Nina (new)

Nina | 9 comments I've read all of her books and I feel the same way. I'm glad she got rid of "the jerk" but the character Arch has gotten so annoying as of the last couple of books. I'm hoping that the new one gets back on track with the old Goldie books.

message 16: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Liz wrote: "I agree that these books aren't as good as they used to be, although I'm still looking forward to reading the new one. But no one has mentioned the recipes...has anyone else tried any of them? I ..."

I make the brownies that were in DYING FOR CHOCOLATE.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz | 42 comments Oh yeah, I've made those brownies several times too. Yum! I made the "Lethal Layers" from that book too. They were also good, but a little more time/tool-consuming to make. And I'm not sure which book it was from, but her "Chocolate Comfort Cookies" are fabulous! Just full of sinful things.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 368 comments Melodie, were the brownies good? I havent tried any recipes yet..from this series of books.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 368 comments Liz wrote: "Oh yeah, I've made those brownies several times too. Yum! I made the "Lethal Layers" from that book too. They were also good, but a little more time/tool-consuming to make. And I'm not sure whi..."

Im going to have to try these recipes soon!

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen This is my favorite cozy author. She makes me feel cozy. She has so much stress, I feel a lightened load just reading all she endures and makes me laugh and want to cook to boot. I found one of about only 2 I do not have - The Last Suppers (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #4) by Diane Mott Davidson and excited to be reading the one when she is to Marry Tom. Everyone in these books is hilarious, love Tom and have tried a couple recipes and were pretty good. I see several of you did brownies. Need to do those.

message 21: by Debra (new)

Debra Goldstein (debrahgoldstein) | 19 comments I've read the entire series as the books have come out and while I agree some don't excite or interest me as much as others, I have always found them a fast fun read. I especially like the scenes with Marla or Tom. The scenes with Marla always end up being funny while the Tom scenes usually introduce a calm moment into the stories.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Karen wrote: "This is my favorite cozy author. She makes me feel cozy. She has so much stress, I feel a lightened load just reading all she endures and makes me laugh and want to cook to boot. I found one of abo..."

Finished this one yesterday. started out slow, but I loved it as I usually do her books. Several recipes in this one I would love to undertake. I love Marla and was so happy I was crying when Goldy found tom in this book at the end. Arch was even great in this one.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 57 comments I haven't started this series yet, so what are some of the really good ones?

message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Karen wrote: "I haven't started this series yet, so what are some of the really good ones?"

I liked the series up to the most recent 4 or so. I didn't even bother with the newest one since the 2 or 3 before it just got progressively worse!

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra Goldstein (debrahgoldstein) | 19 comments I think it helps to start with her first book in the series as she builds on her characters....

message 26: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (goodreadscomsueshelly) | 12 comments I have read all of the books in this series so far, I enjoyed them all, I have tried several of the recipes and they are good. I have to agree the last few were not as good as the previous but they are still worth reading, I would start at the beginning.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Grrr the name Arch is sounding so familar but I can't place him. I know Tom is the husband right? He's sweet but a bit dull for a full time character I think.

I've read four books of the series and, while I like Goldys personality, there are a bit standard reading fare to me. I like a little more spice in my books if they're going to become favorites.

Havent tried the recipes yet but always copy the ones from the mystery books down into my recipe boxes.

I've read:

Dying for Chocolate (pretty cute)
The Cereal Murders
Sticks & Scones
Tough Cookie

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) If by Arch you mean the kid that she is mentoring for catering that also likes to cook? Remember liking him before but perhaps something changes later on.

message 29: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 145 comments I've only read the first book- read by audio. I didn't care for the narrator too much, could hear her breathing hard. Or maybe it's just a bad recording. Cute series, just the same.

message 30: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Erin wrote: "If by Arch you mean the kid that she is mentoring for catering that also likes to cook? Remember liking him before but perhaps something changes later on."

Arch is her teenage son, who was a pain for the most part. I quit reading this series.

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments Erin wrote: "If by Arch you mean the kid that she is mentoring for catering that also likes to cook? Remember liking him before but perhaps something changes later on."

I think you're thinking of Julian, he's been her assistant for most of the series.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen I love these more than any other series and except for her new one. Have none yet to read and library does not have latest of hers, though I keep checking. This is a series I am sad to have none left to do.

message 33: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) | 307 comments I really enjoy this series and hope she keeps writing them.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 57 comments I'm on The Cereal Murders. I really like this series.

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ballenger | 2 comments I just finished the first book and enjoyed it. It was hard to stay with at first, but picked up for me. I am sorry to see that the books later in the series fall stale, but hope to read them all.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Sue T wrote: "Erin wrote: "If by Arch you mean the kid that she is mentoring for catering that also likes to cook? Remember liking him before but perhaps something changes later on."

I think you're thinking of ..."

Ah okay yes, Julian. Liked him. Haven't come to the parts where the son is bothersome in the books I suppose.

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2 comments I have all Diane Mott Davidson's books. I LOVE her books!!! Huge fan.

message 38: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments I like her best friend Marla, she is a hoot, her son Arch, is a typical teen, do not like her ex who she calls the jerk, her husband sounds like a nice guy, Julian seems like a nice guy. All the rich people she has to "cater" to seem funny.

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen Michele wrote: "I have all Diane Mott Davidson's books. I LOVE her books!!! Huge fan."

I know they are the best cozies in "my books." too bad I have read them all. very few writers I can say that for.

message 40: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2 comments Diane Mott Davidson is my first cosy culinary series I have read. I have them mostly in Hardcover which I collect. LOVE THEM!!

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrislbro) | 4 comments Melissa wrote: "I enjoy the cozy series by Diane Mott Davidson, havent read them all yet..but find myself collecting them in my TBR stack. =)
Who are your favorite characters in this series?
Ive noticed that she ..."

Sounds great to me!! :-) Will have to read them!!

message 42: by Anne (last edited Oct 09, 2012 09:18AM) (new)

Anne I really like her books too. Arch is a little annoying, but every typical teenage self absorb behavior. Even his behavior to want to please his father, the jerk, was normal. I was glad when the jerk got killed too.

I like Tom. He reminded me of a big teddy bear, reliable and indulgent with Goldy's tendency to sleuth. Not clueless. Just indulgent and pretends like he didn't know what is going on as long as she does not get hurt. I think it is a realistic portrayal of a loving relationship. Kind of like my relationship with my husband when I turned a blind eye to his screen time (TV or computer) addiction and he ignores my book collection addiction. We know it is probably not healthy on some level, but hey we knew that would be the case when we jumped on board the marriage bandwagon.

As for Julian - I love him. He is more level headed than Goldy so he makes a good sidekick. But like all sidekicks, it's too bad he does not do much on his own. Diane should do a spinoff series on Julian.

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments A. R. Tan wrote: "I really like her books too. Arch is a little annoying, but every typical teenage self absorb behavior. Even his behavior to want to please his father, the jerk, was normal. I was glad when the jer..."

Ohh a spin off with Julian would be interesting!

message 44: by Tina (new)

Tina | 12 comments I just finished Prime Cut by Diane Mott Davidson which is #8 I am currently reading all the books in order and was wondering if she had a new one in the series coming out this year or next?
I really dislike Arch and the way he treats his mother. He is 14 you would think that after all she has been through with the Jerk he would see what a real Jerk he is toward them both. He's young and he's blind to it.
I love Julian he has to be my favorite character ever, I want him in my house cooking and he seems to love washing dishes, Gotta love that !!!.
Can't wait to continue this series. I love it and I love Goldy and Marla.

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina | 12 comments Guess I shouldn't read message boards when I don't want to know who gets killed off in this series from what I read ""The Jerk"" finally gets killed. Can't wait to read it!!

message 46: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 70 comments Tina wrote: "I just finished Prime Cut by Diane Mott Davidson which is #8 I am currently reading all the books in order and was wondering if she had a new one in the series coming out this year or next?
I really di..."

There are 16 in all I believe..the last one I believe is Crunch Time which was just released in paper back..release date 0f 2012.. Unless I have missed one this is the most current.. so she should have a new one soon:))

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 70 comments Tina wrote: "Guess I shouldn't read message boards when I don't want to know who gets killed off in this series from what I read ""The Jerk"" finally gets killed. Can't wait to read it!!"

I almost felt sorry for him...ALMOST;))

message 48: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 70 comments Shelly wrote: "I have read all of the books in this series so far, I enjoyed them all, I have tried several of the recipes and they are good. I have to agree the last few were not as good as the previous but the..."

I have to agree with you.. the first ones were the best but I wouldn't give up on it either..the latter ones weren't bad.. some were just better than others and by books 8 and 9 you are so invested in characters how do you give up on a series?

message 49: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Funk | 20 comments Rebecca wrote: "Tina wrote: "Guess I shouldn't read message boards when I don't want to know who gets killed off in this series from what I read ""The Jerk"" finally gets killed. Can't wait to read it!!"

I almos..."

I was glad when he got killed off because I hoped that at long last Marla and Goldie would quit whining about him. Ok, so he was a jerk but there was a divorce so get on with your life already. I suspect if I had to deal with anymore whining about him then I would have dropped the series long ago.

Overall the series is not nearly as good as it was during the first 8 or 10 books (other than the 'jerk' whining). I will see how the next book goes and if it doesn't get better I will probably drop it.

message 50: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 70 comments Kenneth wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Tina wrote: "Guess I shouldn't read message boards when I don't want to know who gets killed off in this series from what I read ""The Jerk"" finally gets killed. Can't wait to rea..."

I was not sorry to see him go by any means.. just not maybe happy with the way he went.. but ha[[y he is gone nonetheless
and no it isn't what it was in the beginning .. but I tend to be a character hoarder once I'm that deep in a series I find it hard to let go.. ALTHOUGH I have had Crunch Time sitting here since it came out and haven't touched it so I'm in no hurry to read it.. just not ready to let it go..

« previous 1