Cult Books & Miscellaneous discussion

General Place of Books > The book that started your love of the Cult genre

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
For us book lovers remembering our favorites, when we first read them and even who recommended them to us easy. So, for you, which book was it that first sparked your interest in the Cult genre? Or was it a specific person who did it? Please share below.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd have to say that my great Aunt Ann giving me my copy of Gone With the Wind was my first introduction into cult genre. I am aware that it is also considered a classic in some circles but nonetheless a cult book to me.

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
While I wouldn't classify Gone With the Wind as cult exactly I would be happy to classify it as evil. I have never before, or since, actually thrown a book across a room. Many, many times. *shudder* It still makes me want to break out in hives. However, to each her own!

message 4: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 86 comments Mod
Gone With the Wind does seem to be one that divides opinion. I read it over the summer and really liked it. As a historian I can see why people would have a problem with it, as it does portray a very romanticized view of the south at a pretty appalling period in American history, but also as a historian I learnt long ago to treat works of fiction as just that, and as a work of fiction I enjoyed it.
But no, I wouldn't class it as a cult book.

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 84 comments Mod
My main objections to GWtW were Scarlett, Scarlett and wait...Scarlett. She was such a spoiled brat! I'd get so fed up with her every 100 pages or so and then Wham! book into the wall. I gave up about half way through and am very happy to never pick it back up.

I do recognize, however, that some people love this book and I'm okay with that. Most days ;)