Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > daylight savings time-yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I hope you remembered to "fall back", etc., etc...but now it's only 5:28AM and the stupid Y doesn't open for another ninety minutes. And what time will the sun set today? Like...5PM? I hate that. And tomorrow at work I could possibly arrive before dawn and leave after sunset. Since my office and classrooms are on a lower level I might not see the sun.

But other than that I don't mind daylight savings time. Aren't there some states that ignore it? Did I read that somewhere? What do you think?

Our non-American people...do you know what in the hell we're talking about?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I usually love it . In the evenings it is so cozy to be inside all warm and bright. And in every year before I've loved"falling back" bec selfause I get to roll over and sleep soe more. But not today.Leah is up and happy and playing like her usual self and I just realized it isn't five but four. Damn.

message 3: by janine (last edited Nov 07, 2010 03:38AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Our non-American people...do you know what in the hell we're talking about?"

sure we do, and you're a week behind.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes....my wife mentioned that same thing last night, Sally, about how my oldest got up at 5 in the morning the rest of the semester when he was little because he, at age four, didn't understand the concept. He's twelve now and likes to sleep. I think he'll be ok.

message 6: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I LOVE DST!

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

So you're sad when it ends?

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I'm sad when we have to spring forward. I'm miserable that day.

message 9: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Okay, so I just totally realised that I don't understand the concept for Daylight Savings Time.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Barb wrote: "I think it's silly and pointless."

No question about it.

message 11: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Rapunzel Incognito wrote: "Okay, so I just totally realised that I don't understand the concept for Daylight Savings Time."

I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was an energy saving initiative. I actually like it dark in the morning, then I can watch the sunrise.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) One of those sleight of hand deals. Government's way of making it seem they are doing something for average people.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Farmers in Indiana where they didn't follow the herd on this said, "Corn don't care what time it is."

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments Speaking of Indiana, it has two DST zones.
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/in...
The article mentions the farmers' opinions on this matter.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

It sure is making today last forever.

message 16: by Félix (last edited Nov 07, 2010 01:34PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Harvey the rabbit can make a moment in time last as long as you might want it to.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (last edited Nov 07, 2010 01:48PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I heard on the news (uh, ESPN) today that neither Arizona nor Hawaii do daylight savings time.

I'm ready to go to sleep. It's 3:48.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments We're back on Standard Time now. Daylight savings is during the summer.
I think it's dumb. I like falling back, but I HATE spring forward. Leave the clocks alone! It's like a big practical joke we play twice a year to see who's paying attention.

message 19: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. B (MrsB73) | 6 comments What a horribly pointless waste it is. It totally messes the kid up for days! BLAH!!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay. I love daylight savings time. Best thing ever. It never starts early enough in the year.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Welcome to TC Mrs B.

message 22: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. B (MrsB73) | 6 comments Thank you Jim. :)

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I like DST. Boo Standard time! I don't need it light earlier, ever. Let's just switch to DST all year.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Carol wrote: "I like DST. Boo Standard time! I don't need it light earlier, ever. Let's just switch to DST all year."

Yeah but then ... oh never mind.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Carol wrote: "I like DST. Boo Standard time! I don't need it light earlier, ever. Let's just switch to DST all year."

Thank goodness there is another sane person here. I was begining to think I was alone.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
I don't see much point in it, except if we didn't have it we'd need a separate government program to remind us to change the batteries in our smoke detectors.

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I am all in favor of "fall back" but categorically opposed to "spring forward."

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I would like to combine the sleep-enhancing properties of "fall back" with the light-enhancing properties of "spring forward."

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

For that you would need two extra hours in the day. If we could somehow slow down the earths rotation... maybe.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jonathan wrote: "I am all in favor of "fall back" but categorically opposed to "spring forward.""

But if we just have the fall backs, after a while we'll be getting up at midnight.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Gail "cyborg" wrote: "For that you would need two extra hours in the day. If we could somehow slow down the earths rotation... maybe."

We must try, even if it means Texas will spin off into the galaxy.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I won't miss Texas. I'm willing to allow Queensland (or at least all Queenslanders) to spin off into the galaxy to even things out.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I vote for a 25 hour day.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I second that. (As long as our working hours don't increase.)

message 35: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. B (MrsB73) | 6 comments You got my vote... I could go for more reading time.

message 36: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i never have any problems with that lost hour when we 'spring forward' as you call it, and really enjoy the extra hour i get when we get to 'fall back' again so i'm all for it.

message 37: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wait. They do this in Europe, too?

message 38: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments yes, see message #3. we did it a weekend earlier though (here at least).

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, I missed that, too. I'm skimming too much today.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "I won't miss Texas. I'm willing to allow Queensland (or at least all Queenslanders) to spin off into the galaxy to even things out."

Just make sure the Reds aren't on tour when that happens, Gail.

If I remember correctly, there's a sign on the south side of Zion that warns you about how if you continue that way you'll wind up in Arizona and the clocks will be different.

In other news, my pony and my dog were both very cross yesterday that their meals were late. They were not impressed with my explanation of time change.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Animals know their exact mealtimes? Who knew.

message 42: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) it was pitch black dark by 5:05pm tonight! I still had 4 blocks of mail to deliver. Thus the headlamp. I hate it dark so early!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

That's why daylight savings is so marvelous. I love getting home from work when it's still daylight.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

Gail "cyborg" wrote: "I won't miss Texas. I'm willing to allow Queensland (or at least all Queenslanders) to spin off into the galaxy to even things out."

Hey! The one time I went to Australia I visited Queensland!
Then we went to Dunk Island before Papua New Guinea.