The Green Mile The Green Mile discussion

like the movie?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new) - added it

Stephanie Wondering if the book is like the movie or will I be disappointed???

message 2: by Lucinda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Lucinda Reed-Nowland I enjoyed the book as much as the movie. The story moved along at a good pace and it is well written (I think Stephen King is a good writer). The movie followed the book fairly well (of course there is much more story in the book). Hope this helpful to you, happy reading :)

message 3: by Julia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julia The book is so much better than the movie; however, Stephen King is one author that his movies stay very close to the book. I read the book twice. The first time I read it was when it was first released. Each month some was released. I think it took like 5 or 6 installments for the whole novel. Each month I was so anxious for the next part. You won't be disappointed.

message 4: by Fenixbird (last edited Feb 25, 2008 08:04PM) (new) - added it

Fenixbird SandS I liked very much 1994 The Shawshank Redemption (directed by Frank Darabont) starring Tim Robbins & Morgan Freeman + James Whitmore. I just picked up an audiocassette and am looking forward (when return back from Florida helping out my Dad)...to listening to this Stephen King.

CMT325 This movie version is EXCELLENT. Tom Hanks as Paul E was excellent.

I also really enjoyed Shawshank Redemption ... it is consistently voted one of the best movies ever on internet polls. However, it doesn't follow the short story THAT closely.

Mandy I have to say I read the book first then saw it at the cinema - loved it both times. Even though I knew what was coming next I was still glued to my seat. For me I thought the film stayed true to the book as much as possible. Both book and film woud be highly reommended from me.

Vicky Hopkins Movie is much better than the book.

Amanda Books are better, but I (being a person who hates TV and movies in general) enjoyed the movie. Worth watching.

Marianne the book contains much more than the movie: a lot more of the characters thoughts and history. Obvious, I know, you can't include everything in a book in the movie. The movie followed the book very well. I read the book first and wasn't disappointed by the movie, but thought the book gave the reader so much more.....

message 10: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin I read the book after I saw the movie a million times. The Green Mile is one of my favorite movies, and the book only added to it.

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I finished reading The Green Mile on a Tuesday morning and watched the film that night, was,nt disappointed at all, both great.

message 12: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Harris Did not care for the movie. It wasn't bad but it didn't deliver as most movies can't the emotions behind the chracters. Especially the significance of the mouse in the book and John's connection to people without verbalizing.

Deborah Stephanie wrote: "Wondering if the book is like the movie or will I be disappointed???"

Stephanie ... the book was phenomenal!!!! ... if you enjoyed the movie as much a I did (have seen it at least 8 times) the book comes so much more alive as the movie did such a good job of bringing the book to life. The characters in the book and in the movie are mirror images of each other and reading the book I couldn't help but imagine Tom Hanks as the narrator and see his face whenever he was speaking ... Read it ... you will not be disappointed.

message 14: by Katie (last edited Aug 11, 2011 12:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie See..... I think I'm going to get a lot of people mad at me right now but I thought the movie was better than the book. I enjoyed the book but in the movie they took out all the extra violence that the movie didn't put in. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with violence in books and movies but sometimes I feel like its thrown in for no real reason. Plus I LOVE Tom Hanks and he was awesome in it! One of my favorite movies of all time! It has every single emotion in it too:>)

Larry Gattis I think the movie stayed very faithful to the book and was very well done. Tom Hanks is an amazing actor. Books allow your imagination to fill in all the scenes, and can be as good as your imagination allows. The prose is simply a guide for your imaginary trip, and is best when the words get out of the way and let the mental images soar.

message 16: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin Katie wrote: "See..... I think I'm going to get a lot of people mad at me right now but I thought the movie was better than the book. I enjoyed the book but in the movie they took out all the extra violence that..."

I don't necessarily agree that the movie was better, but I totally see what you mean. The movie kinda weeds out some of the extraneous details in the book.

Dierdra McGill I really loved the movie but I enjoyed the book so much more.

Nancy Boone The book is excellent and they did a great job keeping the movie true to the book. I loved both.

Patrick I wanted the movie to include the bus crash. When he is in the rain with his wife and tries to reach out to John again. It would have made a beautiful scene

message 20: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Caitlin wrote: "I read the book after I saw the movie a million times. The Green Mile is one of my favorite movies, and the book only added to it."

Absolutely agree - film is great but the book gives you so much background and detail that the film simply doesn't have the time to give.

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Loved both the movie and the book. The movie was very well-cast and stayed fairly true to the novel; I think that King's stories have mostly been made into quite shitty films (with a few exceptions of course) because there is often too much back-story and inner life of the characters to translate adequately into a 2 hour film. The Green Mile is one of those exceptions.

Nora aka Diva While I think the book was the better of the two, the movie is excellent as well.

Terry Irwin The book is way better than the movie!!!

Nancy Boone The book is my favorite but then the books usually are. I loved the movie. They did an excellent job adapting the book to movie format.

Julie I decided to get this book on Audible because I had enjoyed the movie. It is narrated by Stephen King himself and is terrific. You will not be disappointed.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

The book is always better, but the movie was very good. I wasn't disappointed like I am with most movies that originated from books.

message 27: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn The movie was terrific. The Green Mile was one of those film adaptations that did not disappoint, probably due, in part, to the stellar cast. I read the book prior to the movie's release and I was so glad to see it adapted so well for the big screen.

Jason Lilly Frank Darabont is the most loyal director as far as adapting King's books to film. King has ever said that Darabont's scripts end up being what King originally intended the books to be, but through editing or deadlines did not quite reach the potential that Darabont put on the screen. But in the movies, you lose much of King's writing style, which can be stirring and disturbing at times.

Maroulisa I loved both the movie and the book.Tom Hanks was great

Marianne Mary wrote: "Loved both the movie and the book. The movie was very well-cast and stayed fairly true to the novel; I think that King's stories have mostly been made into quite shitty films (with a few exceptions..."

And the Shawshank Redemption was another. Also the Body which was filmed as Stand By Me. These were great renditions of King's novels.

message 31: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane I absolutely loved the book but I can't bring myself to watch the movie knowing what happens. I howled at the book so I would probably be in bits after the movie. Can someone tell me are the execution scenes really graphic particularly Delacroix's one?

Jason Lilly Marianne, I agree that Stand By Me is an amazing movie, but everyone should still read The Body. It is one of King's most personal works.

Maroulisa I don t think that only Tom Hanks was great..All the cast was great

Catherine Eskridge They are both excellent. I loved the book and was impressed by the movie. My husband is not much of a reader and I was so glad that the movie kept to the story so that I could share it with him.

Wendy i love both the book and movie- they kept the movie more or less to the book. i always cry at the end of the movie- when john coffey dies, because of the excellent storyline. its very moving and emotional. stehen king is my fav horror writer

Carolyn F. I watched the movie first and then read the book - I usually do the reverse. I loved the movie! I thought they did an excellent job of trying to put as much of the book as they could in the movie. The book is pretty big.

Yurice Personally, I preferred the book. There are certain scenes that were better imagined than shown.^^

For me, one of them is that scene with Mr. Jingles, Percy and Del. The book 'showed' me the depth of Del's love for his mouse, something the movie didn't quite deliver.^^

message 38: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I prefered the book but still think the movie is brilliant. I wish I'd read the book first though as I kept reading it in tom hanks voice in my head lol. Xx

message 39: by Cody (new) - added it

Cody They were both good, but the book was better. Tom hanks really set it off, but it wasn't enough...

message 40: by Frank (last edited Jan 10, 2012 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frank I don't know how many here who've read the book are aware that it was first published in serial format: six paperback (mass market) installments published something like a month apart (or maybe a few weeks)...
THE GREEN MILE 1 - The Two Dead Girls; THE GREEN MILE 2 - The Mouse on the Mile; THE GREEN MILE 3 - Coffey's Hands; THE GREEN MILE 4 - The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix; THE GREEN MILE 5 - Night Journey; THE GREEN MILE 6 - Coffey on the Mile.

The movie was excellent. But reading the print, and waiting for the next installment to come out made it all the more enjoyable. Stephen King has always been a master. He WRITES, which is why I will always value the print more than the film (even if it is directed by the great Stanley Kubrick! ... The Shining).

Carolyn F. Didn't he do that with an e-book when they were just coming out, wrote pieces at a time and then published those pieces on-line as he went? He made it free and all kinds of publishers, etc. were angry and then they starting dissing the book. It was awhile ago. I can't remember what the name of the book was.

Frank Carolyn F. wrote: "Didn't he do that with an e-book when they were just coming out, wrote pieces at a time and then published those pieces on-line as he went? He made it free and all kinds of publishers, etc. were a..."

Hmmm, might have been....
I know he did that with his story, "N", later published in the collection Just After Sunset.
The Green Mile could have been - do you know this for sure? Back then I was still sketchy about the whole e-book thing (still am to some degree) so when it was published in those small paperbacks (which I still have on my shelf), I probably jumped at the opportunity to still read it in series.
But I wonder... You may be right.

message 43: by Ken (last edited Jan 11, 2012 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Magee I loved the movie - Tom Hanks is brilliant in it. I haven't read the book for ages, but after reading this post, I will read it again soon.

Carolyn F. Frank wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "Didn't he do that with an e-book when they were just coming out, wrote pieces at a time and then published those pieces on-line as he went? He made it free and all kinds of publ..."

It wasn't Green Mile that he serialized as an e-book. It was something else and I just remember there was a lot of criticism at that time. Never read it though.

message 45: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Carolyn F. wrote: "Frank wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "Didn't he do that with an e-book when they were just coming out, wrote pieces at a time and then published those pieces on-line as he went? He made it free and all..."

Might have been "Riding the Bullet"--I remember I started reading that as an ebook in the very early days of digital formatting. Went on to become a movie, and a pretty good one at that.

message 46: by Linda (new)

Linda I loved the book but I loved the film as well. The book was originally released as a 6 part series. I think they were released one a month. I remember I couldn't wait for the next one to come out.

message 47: by Cody (new) - added it

Cody Always very good books and movies. Christine......

Holly As a Mainer, I am a King fan. However, I either hate or love his books. The Green Mile is amazing. I think it is rich in story & characters.
I had not seen the movie in years and watched it again recently. I loved it. I thought they did a wonderful job on the screenplay and the actors were perfect for their roles.
Both book & movie are worth the time.

message 49: by Les (new) - rated it 5 stars

Les Wolf Rarely do I fail to have a preference for one or the other in the book vs. movie question but this one is an exception. Both book and movie were excellent and reading the book(s) first did not make the movie a disappointment as is usually the case.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

YES!

« previous 1