Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Anyone read this? Is it worth it?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I thought it would be fun to start a thread to ask about books you are considering reading but want to get others thoughts about first. I checked my tbr pile and have two books I have not heard anyone here talk about yet Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headley and Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard . Anyone read either of these? Are they worth it?

message 2: by Desperado (last edited Nov 06, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) I read Girl Overboard almost immediately after finishing Headley's North of Beautiful. IMO, it's not as good. Don't get me wrong, Headley's beautiful writing style is very evident but I had issues with Syrah. Maybe it's because Terra was more mature than GO's protagonist, age 15? 16?

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Thanks! I was going to read it because I loved North of Beautiful, so now I know not to expect as much.

message 4: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Oooooh! Great Thread Heidi!!!

I've had these on my shelf. Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus , which I already own but keep passing over to read because I keep getting books which I hear are so good and nobody has said anything about this. And, The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade which I added a while ago because the reviews were decent (usually 4 stars) and because I thought it looked funny and light. Anyone read these?

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Thanks Wendy! Sorry I have not read either of yours:(

Peep (Pop! Pop!) All books I haven't read! Sorry as well! Though I did hear good things about G&G as well.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 176 comments Great thread idea, Heidi!

I'll throw out an easy one. I've always been so hesitant about reading Percy Jackson. For some reason it takes just an incredible amount of pressure for me to give in to something with a big name, sort of like how I waited so long to start the Hunger Games. Should I read PJ? I know pretty much nothing about it and I'm afraid it will be something of a Harry Potter knock-off.

message 8: by Kurukka (last edited Nov 07, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

Kurukka Some similarities can be drawn between PJ and HP but, honestly, I didn't notice them until I read some reviews. These worlds are pretty different from each other and I think the writing makes it all. I'm not a fan of the fast-paced style, and overall, I was not a blown away read for me but it was very fresh and funny. I know I want to read the sequels. I'd say, give it a try ;)

message 9: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I read them all, they are faster reads but I enjoyed them. I especially love how they ended. I'd say give it a shot.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I thought Percy Jackson was more middle grade than HP. IMO HP has that rare quality of appealing to readers young and old alike. I have been reading a lot of middle grade books, and have not found many (any) that have that crossover appeal that HP does.

message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I agree that it is more middle grade then HP, but most of the people I know who've read HP enjoyed Percy too... it's not on the same level, but then most things aren't, lol.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 176 comments Thanks so much for your opinions, everyone! That's very helpful! I figure I'll give it a shot and see how it works for me.

message 13: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Why am I always late joining in the discussion? Oh well, lol! For what it's worth, I like PJ for the spin on Greek myths it has. Entertaining and somewhat surprising. I even learned a little bit more mythology in the process when I thought I had heard it all.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Has anyone read any of the YA books by Joyce Carol Oates? I saw a couple at the library, one was Big Mouth & Ugly Girl by Joyce Carol Oates . I did not know she wrote some YA books.

message 15: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Princess Academy by Shannon Hale and The Looking Glass Wars (Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor . Are these any good?

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments the looking glass wars is weird, i have to go back to it eventually

message 17: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Oh I love Princess Academy Roshini! Shannon Hale is a great author and that one is one of her best works. It's also nice because it's a stand-alone. Some people didn't like it because the ending isn't what you expect, but I thought it was perfect. There's some great morals in it too, which is probably why it's an award winner.

message 18: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Thanks Ottilie.

Becca, I loved Book of a Thousand Days and this one looked good, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Guess it's next up on my tbr list. Thanks!

message 19: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments no problem

message 20: by Penny (new)

Penny | 6 comments I liked the Looking Glass book, but it took me a while to warm up to it, and I still haven't read the sequel (and I think there's a third book out now). I guess that's not a great recommendation. It was an interesting way to look at the Alice in Wonderland story.

message 21: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 21 comments Wendy wrote: "Oooooh! Great Thread Heidi!!!

I've had these on my shelf. Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus, which I already own but keep passing over to read because I keep getting books which I hear are so g..."

I haven't read Shadow hills, but it's on my tbr list too. If you go for it let me know how it goes!

message 22: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I own it, so I'll read it at some point. I'll let you know. :)

message 23: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 21 comments Roshini wrote: "Princess Academy by Shannon Hale and The Looking Glass Wars (Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor. Are these any good?"

I really enjoyed Princess Academy. I think it is a middle grade book but is very well written and true to itself... if that makes sense...
I read it about the same time I read Just Ella, which was ok until the ending ruined the whole thing.

message 24: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments i loved just ella when i read it!!!

message 25: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments yeah that was what I was having trouble with. I just couldn't get into it so I'll probably try again in the summer...

message 26: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Looks like I'll be postponing The Looking Glass Wars for a while then!

message 27: by Book (new)

Book (bloodwitch) | 90 comments I want to read Looking Glass Wars, but at the time I only saw the sequel on the shelf at the library so I put it off

message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Becca wrote: "Why am I always late joining in the discussion? Oh well, lol! For what it's worth, I like PJ for the spin on Greek myths it has. Entertaining and somewhat surprising. I even learned a little bit mo..."

I learned a lot about Greek myths from Percy Jackson too! Also, it's one of my favorite series ever. They're really funny and exciting, I love how the mythology is tied in, and the characters are great. I wouldn't say they're exclusively middle grade though. I started reading them when I was 15 I think. I'm 18 now and I still love them. My 12-year-old sister, my 15-year-old sister, and my mom all love them too. :)

message 29: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Bluemoon wrote: "ROSHINI: The Looking Glass war is ok, but it's not really one of my favorites. I just couldn't get into the characters, even the protagonist."

Agreed.

message 30: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I love Percy Jackson. I don't think the writing is exceptionally charismatic, but he tells a fun story with interesting characters. Plus I think the strength in this series his the ideas. The concept about Olympus and the Gods, that's what charmed me. (And the characters of course.)

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Has anyone read The Morganville Vampires series?? I am starting Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) by Rachel Caine and I haven't really been that impressed. Someone told me they get better, I'm just wondering if that is the general census??

message 32: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Wendy wrote: "I love Percy Jackson. I don't think the writing is exceptionally charismatic, but he tells a fun story with interesting characters. Plus I think the strength in this series his the ideas. The co..."

Mmhmm :) And I love how he ties history and mythology together, too. Like, Prohibition happened because Dionysus was grounded! :D

message 33: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I know! It was so clever the way he did it.

I have the Lost Hero but haven't read it yet.

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Yeah, it was :)

Ooh, I just read The Lost Hero a little more than a week ago. It's great, although I didn't like it quite as much as Percy Jackson. The characters weren't as strong (except Leo; I really liked him). But it has all the action/adventure/humor that makes Rick Riordan's books so enjoyable. :)

message 35: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Amanda wrote: "Has anyone read The Morganville Vampires series?? I am starting Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) by Rachel Caine and I haven't really been that impressed. Someone told me they get better, I'm just wondering if th..."

I am wondering about those as well! I am not really into vampire books, I read and liked the twilight series, but I have heard this series is good. I read blue bloods and I liked it but I am hoping that the Morganville series is a little more mature

message 36: by Amanda (last edited Nov 23, 2010 06:24AM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Emmy, They are a bit more mature and totally different than Twilight. I just finihed book 3 Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) by Rachel Caine and it was a lot better than the first two books; they were pretty mediocre. I've heard they series gets better and the next book is waiting for me at the library.
I am finding myself liking the enemies and the smaller characters more than the 4 main characters.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Myrnin has to be one of my favorites.

message 38: by Emmy (last edited Nov 23, 2010 01:49PM) (new)

Emmy Amanda wrote: "Emmy, They are a bit more mature and totally different than Twilight. I just finihed book 3 Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) by Rachel Caine and it was a lot better than the first two books; they were pretty medi..."

well i am glad they are a bit more mature, i thought bella was a bit much, Thanks for the advice :)

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Stacia wrote: "Myrnin has to be one of my favorites."

Mine too, does he show up in any other books?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) He's a recurring character.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Yay! I've found myself almost liking Oliver too.