Goodreads Developers discussion

feature requests > Sign in with Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James (JamesByrd) | 8 comments We are implementing "account linking" with several social networks, including Goodreads. We are starting with "sign in with..." functionality so we can come up to speed with OAuth and give users a convenient way to get started as members on our site.

As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Goodreads doesn't directly support the "sign in with" concept.

I'm talking about something that works the way Twitter (and Facebook) work: if the user is already signed in to Twitter and has already approved my application, then Twitter immediately redirects the user back to me with an authorized Request Token. I can then request the user's Access Token, and that lets me identify the corresponding member account in our system.

Twitter uses a separate URL ("authenticate" instead of "authorize") for this flow, but Facebook just does it with the regular "authorize" URL.

I'm guessing the change to your authorize logic would be fairly straightforward: you know if the user is already logged in, and if they are, you know if they've previously authorized the app. In that situation, you just redirect back to the app rather than prompting for accept/deny.

If you do decide to implement something like this, it would also be cool to have an official "sign in with Goodreads" image I could put on our site. ;-)

Thanks!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Cool idea, not sure how soon this might happen though. I'll update this after we talk about it a little more internally.

message 3: by Otis (new)

Otis Chandler | 18 comments Pretty sure we implemented this for bookcrossing.com - let me know if you can't figure it out!

message 4: by Naveed (new)

Naveed (neveed) | 1 comments I need help regarding this feature. Bookcrossing.com again asks for username and password and when we provide email and password of goodreads it does not login.

I am not able to figure out this. I just want that when user clicks on Login via GoodReads button then through goodreads account a person can login to my application.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Sep 27, 2011 11:31AM) (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) I'm able to login to bookcrossing, althoguht it's not the smoothest experience. I think you have to then create a new account with them.

I implemented goodreads sign in successfully on bookmates: https://github.com/michaeleconomy/boo...

message 6: by James (new)

James (JamesByrd) | 8 comments Naveed:

Although BookCrossing allows "sign in with Goodreads" functionality, it still needs to create a BC member account the first time you use that feature.

That's why you see the username/password prompt. The site is asking you to create a new BC account or attach to an existing BC account.

Either way, when you are done you have a BC account that is "linked" to your Goodreads account from that point forward. On subsequent visits to the site, you won't see the username/password prompt.

If you want to use the "sign in with Goodreads" feature to completely replace the authentication process at your site, you'll need to preserve the user's access token in your system so you can identify the Goodreads user the next time they log in. The access token would effectively be their user id.

The down side with using Goodreads for authentication is that they always prompt for accept/deny, unless the original topic of this thread has since been addressed by their dev team.

Also, unless you create a parallel user account in your system the way BookCrossing does, your users will ONLY be able to access their account on your site through their Goodreads sign in.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) When i goodreads connected to bookxing just now, i didn't get prompted, so i think we fixed that!

message 8: by James (new)

James (JamesByrd) | 8 comments Good news! Thanks for the update, Micheal.

As you saw from my last comment, you are right that we need to link to an account on the BC side. The first time through, it isn't the smoothest experience, but it is completely transparent from then on and allows us to link a Goodreads account to an *existing* BC account.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) James wrote: "Good news! Thanks for the update, Micheal.

As you saw from my last comment, you are right that we need to link to an account on the BC side. The first time through, it isn't the smoothest experi..."

Yeah, we have the same sort of issues with our facebook integration.

Merging accounts is not fun!