Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Spoiler Talk on Books We've Read > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Part 4 chapters 23-29

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Rebooting System
July 1 to Oct 7
To discuss chapters 23-29

message 2: by Ann (last edited Nov 30, 2010 09:57PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Chapter 24
The Millenium book goes to press! "The Section" 352 pages revealing much about this secret organization planned for publication the day of the trial.
Speaking of the section, they are finally waking up to realize they may have missed something - what does Millenium have up their sleeve? Desperate measures are planned. These guys will stoop to anything to save their own skin. Lisbeth appears to be safe (though not from a lack of plotting attempts to get to her) Everyone needs to be on guard against a last ditch attack. The race is on!
Edited to add the rest of the chapter comments - YIKES! Milton Security's recording of the drug plant in Mikael's apartment and subsequent awareness of a plot to kill him! Oh my. The section is starting to splinter, the really bad guys with no compunction against killing innocent victims are really frightening.
Meanwhile there is a special prosecutor Gustafson to bring charges against the section, that is progressing nicely and still in secret.
The hit turns into a hand to hand combat with Mikael and one of the Serbian brothers and was quite a struggle. Amazing how it ended with no deaths after an automatic weapon was involved. This hit was not likely to fail. Somehow they manage an official story that keeps the section from realizing what happened and that the hit was anticipated (though almost way too late!) It is VERY hard to leave this story between commute windows!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Chapter 25 The trial (I like this chapter!)
Lisbeth is dressed as she would normally - a bold "goth" look with tattoo's and piercings showing with the open assertion that she has nothing to hide and is not a con artist. She frustrated the prosecutor by insisting in a calm manner that she would only answer actual questions, not agree to his wild assumptions. Giannini is succinct and effective in her defense questions, the prosecutor wildly eloquent on his rational reasons for irrevocable mental commitment.
In a twist they have a Guardian dept representative speak up for Bjurman and even question that they should choose Lisbeth's lawyer.
Oh my, the other shoe drops. Vardenshire (the chief who was demoted by Gullberg and Clinton) confesses all and names names. He even confirms Bjork's suicide was murder that had not been forensically proven.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Chapter 26 Friday July 15
Dr Televorian on the stand. What can you say about the lies he purports about Lisbeth's mental state. The worst is his assertion that Lisbeth's account of the rapes by Bjurman are a childish erotic fantasy. Grrr.
Wow, the other shoes start to drop quickly - a well orchestrated sweep nets arrests of the rest of the section leaders and minions after Vardenshire's confessions including Clinton - and the two people at SAPO suspected to have been in collusion or at the least aware of the section and it's illegal activities. Did they miss anyone?
I can hardly wait to get back to the defense questioning of Televorian after the trial lunch break!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Chapter 27
This short comment on a long and quite amazing chapter - not my usual style but really all that needs to be said, OMG!
As the trial continues after the break with defense questioning, Giannini is seconded by Palgren, still recovering from his stroke. Her questioning of Televorian is a masterful performance, worthy of one of the best of Perry Mason (Earl Stanley Gardner, one of the joys of my reading in my teens)

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Chapter 28
The final courtroom denouement was quite gratifying. I think I almost (not really) felt sorry for the self serving prosecutor Ekstrom (sp) where are you to check my proper name spelling Carol! Lisbeth is free!!!
It was a touching moment when Mikael was remembering Dag Swenson and thought how he would have been proud at the final tally of criminals who were caught, in part because of his research, and sadly in part because of his and (Mina?'s) murders.
Lisbeth tries to thank Annika by keeping her as her lawyer and telling her when she lives - a measure of trust.
Chapter 29
Lisbeth leaves the country - can't say that I blame her for going out and getting drunk in Gibraltar. Her wealth and holdings are amazing - how could anyone think she is mentally ill. Anti social maybe, but she is very intelligent.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8258 comments From this to the end I was hating to put down my Kindle, anxious to pick it back up. I gave up on listening on CD because I think my Shuffle was skipping tracks. I'd find myself somewhere and not know how I got there.

The assassination attempt was a doozy! I loved how they are slowly starting to dismantle The Section and block their moves. They never knew what hit them.

Ann wrote: "Chapter 24
The Millenium book goes to press! "The Section" 352 pages revealing much about this secret organization planned for publication the day of the trial.
Speaking of the section, they are f..."

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8258 comments I'm a sucker for courtroom drama. I was surprised at how this book ended, with the Section members being quietly taken and the trial unfolding without a hitch.

Giannini is turning into quite a competent defense attorney!

Ann wrote: "Chapter 25 The trial (I like this chapter!)
Lisbeth is dressed as she would normally - a bold "goth" look with tattoo's and piercings showing with the open assertion that she has nothing to hide an..."

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Carol:
I also loved the finality and the impact of the mass arrests and the slam dunk at the trial! Warrior women score big. Gianni as the defense attorney no one thought was capable and who turned the tables into a rout - it was quite satisfying to see the underdogs win!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm a sucker for courtroom drama. I was surprised at how this book ended, with the Section members being quietly taken and the trial unfolding without a hitch....Giannini is turning into quite a competent defense attorney!"