Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Well, it's official...

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annika (new)

Annika I don't know if you've stopped by the FL message board lately, but I've officially resigned as CL. I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. It's definitely weird having that chapter of my life end. I think it's been about 5 years.

message 2: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I don't know what to say; it's bittersweet, I'm sure. You put a lot of yourself into that board and you must definitely feel weird and a little empty right now.

Thanks for all that you've done....and for all that you will add to this new home.

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Annika, I know the feeling! It was a tough decision for me, too after being cl for so long. It's nice having a new group on Goodreads with more people participating so you don't feel like it's all on you to keep it interesting and up to date :) I'm so glad most of us are still together. There are a few people I want to reach out to on IV, but the profile feature doesn't work so I can't contact anyone.

message 4: by Annika (new)

Annika Bittersweet is just the right way to put it. It was a really hard decision. I felt like it was getting even harder to keep it interesting, especially with the new format. With everyone posting on this board, I feel like I can relax and enjoy. It really is a great sense of relief. Have you posted anything on FL lately, Stacey?

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I posted this morning to your farewell thread! Other than that it has been a while. I've been working a lot lately. Hopefully that won't last!

message 6: by Annika (new)

Annika Are you back in an orthodontist's office. I'm always so impressed how well you settle into your new home with work and activities (bookclubs) in all your new locations.

message 7: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Yes, working for an orthodontist. This Dr.'s son(Michael Doleac) played in the NBA! I'm pt(2 days a week) which is really great, but doing ft for a few weeks until I know all the procedures.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Stacey and Annika - I can't even begin to thank you for all you did on IV. It is bittersweet.

Jenn

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Great CLs really made the FL board work. Thanks, Stacey and Annika for all of your efforts. I'm glad we all found a new home here.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Thanks so much for everything you did at FL. We became a group of virtual friends. When the bookmarks came, I would describe you as my virtual pen pals.

If you are in touch with anyone from FL, invite them here.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Yes, thank you both for all your work on FL - it was a really enjoyable place thanks to you.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I feel like you made a smart decision, Annika, just as Stacey did when she needed to focus on other things. I'm so happy that we're all gathered together again in this spot AND that the burden for keeping it all going won't be falling primarily on one or two people (CLs). Bet that freedom is going to feel like such a relief!

message 13: by Dannielle (new)

Dannielle Insalaco | 51 comments Annika, both you and Stacey were wonderful on FL. Thank you for all your hard work!

message 14: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Lubin HI Annika!
I went over to the ivillage board, and cannot find your farewell link, so instead of saying farewell over there, I'm going to say welcome over here! Stacey just sent me this board via facebook, I have been lost since the new format.

I hope to contribute to this board the way I used to on ivillage.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Madelyn wrote: "HI Annika!
I went over to the ivillage board, and cannot find your farewell link, so instead of saying farewell over there, I'm going to say welcome over here! Stacey just sent me this board via f..."

Madelyn,
Glad to see you here. I look at FL, and I noticed you posted a request for the holiday bookmark exchange. I tried to figure out how to contact you there.

message 16: by Annika (new)

Annika Madelyn - I'm so glad you found your way here!

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I just took a trip to FL, and saw that it will be closing tomorrow.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I checked on it a couple of days ago and it looked pretty dead. I feel a little sad that it's formally ending just because it was my first chat group and I loved it for a long time. But Book Geeks and Bookniks has totally taken its place with the same old gang still together and active, so it's all good. I love what we have here every bit as much!

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Mary wrote: "I checked on it a couple of days ago and it looked pretty dead. I feel a little sad that it's formally ending just because it was my first chat group and I loved it for a long time. But Book Geek..."

That was one of the only groups I visited, and one of my first regular message boards. For some reason, we had a kinship. Perhaps Stacey or Annika know when the message board was organized.

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Oh, I feel sad about FL, too. I know I was on it for at least ten years.

message 21: by Annika (new)

Annika Oh wow, that's really sad. The format change really caused the demise I think. It was so, so hard to navigate. I know I'd been on it for at least 8-9 years and it had definitely been around longer than that. That's really too bad. Like Carol and Mary, it was also the first message board that I visited and posted on. I'm glad most of us have found our way here. I think it's a really special group.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments The fact that we HAVE found our way here and seamlessly reconnected shows what a special group we really do have. It's nice to have a few new people wanting to be a part of it, too. (I agree with you, Annika, that ivillage was wholly responsible for FL's demise. New (as in the format changes) definitely does not always mean better!)

message 23: by Elise (new)

Elise That does make me sad. Like many others, it was the first/only message board I ever participated in. I always felt like we were kindred spirits there! I'm so glad we've all found our way here.

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz It really is sad. I was on ivillage for years. FL wasn't the only board I was on there either. I also was somewhat active on the "Authors, Books & Conversations" & "Mystery" boards for reading too. I actually started out on ivillage on the Rubber Stamping board, which was put into the Crafting board a few years ago. There was also a needlework board I visited a bit too. I miss all that.

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Oh, yeah, Liz! I'd forgotten "Authors, Books & Conversations"! I went there briefly but quickly realized how much more I loved FL and stayed exclusively with it -- no other chat groups at all. If we hadn't regrouped here, I'd be LOST without all these friends I've made over the years!

message 26: by Dannielle (new)

Dannielle Insalaco | 51 comments I feel sad that FL is no more...it was a wondwrful group of people!

message 27: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I took a peek on the last day. It was sad, but it wasn't the same. It was SO frustrating going through all the ads to read a few posts. I was on FL for 11yrs and TK, Laurel, and Lynn were already there. I'm so happy to be part of this new group and more friends, too!