Sweeping Sagas discussion

OT, travel ideas for Jill

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (last edited Nov 05, 2010 06:41PM) (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
I was going to start posting images on my status updates and decided it might drive every one else nuts :)

Mount Rainier Wildflowers and you won't see this until well into August.

http://www.cornforthimages.com/Landsc...

message 2: by Misfit (new)

The Columbia River Gorge between Washington and Oregon

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Multnomah Falls (Columbia Gorge)

I have shots from the very top but that's for another day.

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Bandon Oregon, my favorte spot for seastacks on the Oregon Coast

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Big Sur Coastline California

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Hurricane Ridge, Olympic NP Washington State

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Crater Lake NP Oregon. Yes, it is that blue but you won't be getting there as early as May.

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Wreck of the Peter Iredale, NW Oregon coast,

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Point Lobos just south of Carmel, CA

Jill, we haven't even got to Montana and Colorado yet.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Smith Rock SP central Oregon

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Mount Saint Helens,

The view from the east side via Windy Ridge is awesome (as are the views of the blown down trees, etc.), but not for a driver unused to mountain roads.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Oh. My. Goodness. These pictures are just fantastic, Misfit.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Maryhill Museum, timbuktu Eastern Washington.

[image error]

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Stonehenge replica by Maryhill (same builder)

View from the hill,

message 15: by Misfit (new)

Hearst Castle, California

There are four different tours each day and if you want to see as much as you can plan to spend the whole day there.

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "Hearst Castle, California

There are four different tours each day and if you want to see as much as you can plan to spend the whole day there."

This 'castle' apparently had work going on for nearly 30 years! And originally was going to be just a bungalow. Goes to show what too much money can do.

message 17: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Makes me want to go travelling again, but I can't!

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 05, 2010 09:50PM) (new)

[image error]

Come visit MEEEEEEE in Gig Harbor!

message 19: by Jill (last edited Nov 05, 2010 10:38PM) (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "Makes me want to go travelling again, but I can't!"

Why, Marg?

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill Michele wrote: "

Come visit MEEEEEEE in Gig Harbor!"

Michele
So that is Gig Harbour? Which little boat is yours??

message 21: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Jill wrote: "Marg wrote: "Makes me want to go travelling again, but I can't!"

Why, Marg?"

Just started paying private school fees for my son so likely to be broke for next 6 years. Paying the fees, the mortgage etc on one income means that sometimes we are a little light on in the money dept.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "Jill wrote: "Marg wrote: "Makes me want to go travelling again, but I can't!"

Why, Marg?"

Just started paying private school fees for my son so likely to be broke for next 6 years. Paying the fee..."

I hear you, Marg. Thank goodness I'm past all that.

message 23: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Most of the time it doesn't bother me but every now and again I just want to go somewhere! I lived overseas for 5 years, but havent been out of the country since I go back.

message 24: by Misfit (new)

Marg wrote: "Most of the time it doesn't bother me but every now and again I just want to go somewhere! I lived overseas for 5 years, but havent been out of the country since I go back."

With the economy the way it is, a lot of travelling is out of the picture for me. Besides, I have one cat (not Misfit) who is high maintenance, needing wet food twice a day (long story). Don't have a neighbor I can impose on for that.

Jill, the Hearst Castle is very very cool. Even if you take every tour offered (I did, an all day thing) you don't see it all. The stories they tell you about the people who stayed there. Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill. Clark Gable calling the indoor pool the most romantic place on earth...

http://www.travel-destination-picture...

message 25: by Misfit (new)

As for that big snow-cone in Michele's picture that is Mount Rainier, known to locals as simply "The Mountain". It's quite a lot farther away than you'd think, but if definitely domintes the landscape.

Paradise Inn at the 5500' level.

One thing I wished I'd known when I was 18 or so is that young students can get jobs in the National Parks working for guest services. There's dorm housing up there and who wouldn't be in heaven having that in your backyard for your time off?

message 26: by Misfit (new)

Jill, trip planner for Washington state in case Michele and I aren't enough :p

http://www.experiencewa.com/home.aspx

Reflection lakes, [image error]

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Completely understandable, Marg. One of the things that completely baffle me at work is how incredibly FULL my flights are. Everywhere we turn, there is nothing but news about our recession and how our economy is in the toilet....and yet, every flight I work is oversold. Either someone's lying about the economy or we are selling tickets for $10. It's crazy.

We used to travel quite frequently using the infamous pass benefits of our airlines (I work for one, while hubby works for another, so twice the benefits). But what good is a benefit that these days charges you almost as much as a full-fare ticket in taxes and you can't even get on the flight because it's so full?

So we only get away about once a year. Mostly because it takes me a full year to recover from the trauma of the experience. (In a way, it's like childbirth....you forget and then make the mistake of thinking you want to do it again.)

message 28: by Misfit (new)

Sigh, passes were a whole lot cheaper back in the days when dad worked for the airlines. Hawaii $8 round trip first class.

Who are all those people flying? I don't even want to fly anymore it's such a hassle. Charged for checked luggage and there's not much of anything allowed in the darned carryon.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "Sigh, passes were a whole lot cheaper back in the days when dad worked for the airlines. Hawaii $8 round trip first class.

Who are all those people flying? I don't even want to fly anymore it's..."

Between that and the moronic TSA, you're better off flying naked.

message 30: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments See economy wise, we are doing okay here, and with the Australian $ at parity with the US$ it is a perfect time to be travelling, if you can afford it that is.

message 31: by Jill (new)

Jill Actually our dollar has just outshone the U.S. dollar in the last few days. I just hope it doesn't go into freefall before I pay for my trip.