College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments I'm looking for some good Christmas books or set during Christmas--YA or adult. I'm really wanting to read some holiday themed books!

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (set during Christmas)
Let It Snow (short stories--YA)
Holidays on Ice (it was pretty funny but some of them fell flat)
You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas (haven't read it but I'm dying to!)

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments The Christmas Sweater. LOVE this book. It's by Glen Beck but it doesn't have anything political in it.
A Christmas Carol is a classic, I read it every year. If you like audio books, get this one. There are two versions, an abridged version with Patrick Stewart and unabridged by Jim Dale!

message 5: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments What about Chanukkah books? Does anybody know of any good ones? Or just any at all :)

I've been wanting to read that Kayla! I was thinking about nominating it for December group read. Do you think it would be a good one?

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Mandee wrote: "What about Chanukkah books? Does anybody know of any good ones? Or just any at all :)

I've been wanting to read that Kayla! I was thinking about nominating it for December group read. Do you t..."

That was the December pick in one of my other groups last year. I really enjoyed it (I gave it 5 stars) but I was kind of in the minority.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Kayla wrote: "Mandee wrote: "What about Chanukkah books? Does anybody know of any good ones? Or just any at all :)

I've been wanting to read that Kayla! I was thinking about nominating it for December group re..."

I love that book too! I think that for people who are new to Christopher Moore and his kind of humor, they don't really know what to make of it. Plus, it's more enjoyable if you're familiar with some of the characters (because they're in his other books). I think it's a really fun Christmas read.

message 8: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen A great, quick read for Christmas is The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry. It's hilarious and heartwarming all at once; I plan on rereading it at some point this year. Another classic is In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash, which is the book the movie A Christmas Story is based on.

message 9: by Kayla (last edited Dec 21, 2010 03:06PM) (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Tahleen wrote: "A great, quick read for Christmas is The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry. It's hilarious and heartwarming all at once; I plan on rereading it a..."

I love the movie A Christmas Story! My family keeps the TV on The Christmas Story marathon all day Christmas. It's definitely a favorite. I would nominate the book for December if I hadn't already nominated The Gargoyle.

message 10: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Kayla, we do that too! It's on all day while we're at home. I can't wait to watch it and get in the spirit of the season (though I've watched it in February before haha).

message 11: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I really love Christmas movies and I will watch them out of season sometimes too. I've watched Lifetime during their Christmas in July specials the last two years. :)

message 12: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen That reminds me. I shouldn't even tell you how much I love the Hallmark Christmas movies—but I will. I need to watch them every year. They're so schmaltzy and I love it.

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas is coming up soon and I'm sooo excited! ha ha!
Can honestly say that I actually haven't read A Christmas Carol since 6th grade! but it's one of my favorite Christmas stories and I think it's about time I read it again! :)

message 14: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Tahleen wrote: "That reminds me. I shouldn't even tell you how much I love the Hallmark Christmas movies—but I will. I need to watch them every year. They're so schmaltzy and I love it."

Haha! I'm with you, Tahleen -- I love corny, feel-good movies during the Holidays :)

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Looking for a really non-cheesy Christmas read? I just finished Dash and Lily's Book of Dares and I really liked it!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I also really liked that book Jamie! It was really cute!

I've been on a holiday-reading roll lately. I've recently read:

A Christmas Carol for the first time ever!

Silver Bells, which was good but got super-sappy at the end.

The Christmas Box, short and sweet.

And I still have these to read from the library:

The Gift
The Christmas Train
Skipping Christmas

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Wow, Sarah, that is quite a lot of Christmas lit! Is it givingg you a extra dose of holiday cheer? :)

I'm glad you enjoyed Dash & Lily as well! It really was cute.

I just finished reading an ARC from Random House that I won here on Goodreads called The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus by Tim Slover. This was a surprising book! It's short--about 160 pages-- and it's the legend/biography of Santa Claus. I thought it was going to be kind of lame but Slover did a really great job of beefing up the Santa Claus legend that we all know and infusing something fresh into it. Makes me want to believe again! I literally read it in one sitting. It was like "OMG mindblowing" but it was really good! I'd recommend it if you are looking for a non-cheesy Christmas story to read that helps you get in the Christmas spirit!

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments I know it's a children's book but does anyone else LOVE The Polar Express? Definitely my favorite :)